SPWaW Technical Issues

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Zap

RE: SPWaW Technical Issues

Post by Zap »

I will try your suggestion and run the resolution lower on my machine.
theredcimmerian

Post by theredcimmerian »

I'm running 8.4 on XP Pro. The only crashes I've experienced are the Y key during combat (when I meant to hit the T key) and two times in the last 20 or so hours of playing time, the game crashed when a tank was being shot at. I don't know if it was a hit or not. I suspect it was about to be a hit. I have one of those new PCI E video cards and the older NVIDIA drivers do not work with it.

Also, I notice that more often than not, when I start the USA campaign in North AFrica, the ocean is on the east half of the map, rather than the west. Makes it a bit hard for the French to defend the victory hexes when they are busy trying to swim. Any idea on how to correct this?

Thanks!
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: theredcimmerian

I'm running 8.4 on XP Pro. The only crashes I've experienced are the Y key during combat (when I meant to hit the T key) and two times in the last 20 or so hours of playing time, the game crashed when a tank was being shot at. I don't know if it was a hit or not. I suspect it was about to be a hit. I have one of those new PCI E video cards and the older NVIDIA drivers do not work with it.

Also, I notice that more often than not, when I start the USA campaign in North AFrica, the ocean is on the east half of the map, rather than the west. Makes it a bit hard for the French to defend the victory hexes when they are busy trying to swim. Any idea on how to correct this?

Thanks!
This is fixed I believe in the next Mech.exe Patch

theredcimmerian

Do you know when that will be available?

Alby

Post by Alby »

no sorry I do not
it is being worked on now

theredcimmerian

Thank you for the update!
Zap

Post by Zap »

KG Erwin,

just an update, lowered video screen graphics in order to free up more memory on my high end machine. It did not work. But I have found a solution, I save the game frequently. My problem with dumbing down my machine is my lack of knowledge how to do it. Won't go into more detail in order not to embarass myself in these forums by showing my lack of computer knowledge.

But I saw the annoucement about the mech update. will help me?

In any case thank you for your help and patience and for the helpful guys in this forum.

Bye the way, I really been enjoying this game
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Zap

KG Erwin,

just an update, lowered video screen graphics in order to free up more memory on my high end machine. It did not work. But I have found a solution, I save the game frequently. My problem with dumbing down my machine is my lack of knowledge how to do it. Won't go into more detail in order not to embarass myself in these forums by showing my lack of computer knowledge.

But I saw the annoucement about the mech update. will help me?

In any case thank you for your help and patience and for the helpful guys in this forum.

Bye the way, I really been enjoying this game

Zap, do NOT feel embarrassed. I'm no computer geek -- I've only learned what I've HAD to learn to keep my PC in working order (plus I took a couple of classes). We're all in this together, so we benefit by our shared knowledge.

MY PC is not a dedicated game PC -- it is a stock Dell Dimension 2400. Now, with careful applications of upgrades for video drivers and the sound driver, plus the security updates provided by Microsoft, my PC is in pretty good shape.

Zap, you probably should take some computer classes, just to cover the basics. I would recommend this to ANYONE who has no experience with PCs. A basic understanding of how they work will remove the "fear factor".
gdpsnake

Post by gdpsnake »

I keep getting the "sound crash?"
That is, when an AT weapon, usually fired from one of my tanks, hits an enemy tank causing a destruction sound? the game crashes to the desktop. Not always - it seems random and occurs more with British 'targets' blowing up.
Tyrson

Post by Tyrson »

Help, I've all ready bugged Goblin and Swaprat about this can anyone tell me how we can load your saved ip games.
thnx, Tyrson out
Feldwebel Crin

Post by Feldwebel Crin »

Hello. I first had this game last year but accidentally erased it. Now I've installed v8.2 again. When I start the game the opening plays right, up to the credits. When it gets to the menu, the sound shuts off in the game. I use headphones plugged straight into the computer. Also, at random times the game screen goes black, but it comes back up after a little bit and the screen repaints wherever something moves, like my mouse or tracers.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Feldwebel: You might want to do the update to version 8.3 and then 8.4. That may cure your problems. Make sue all the background stuff like anti-virus programs is shut off during gameplay.

Dep
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Feldwebel, go back to the top of the thread. Many of the common issues have been resolved, so go through the list and try out the suggested solutions. If none of those work, then let us know.
Feldwebel Crin

Post by Feldwebel Crin »

Okay. I tried all of the already posted solutions that were compatible. (I definitely do not have a state-of-the-art NVidia) Setting W98 compatibility to mech.exe just gave me an error box.

It's playable (though annoying), and it just may be a bad file. I think I will uninstall tommorrow and download the game from another site.
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

Assuming that you have saved the IP game and wish to resume from that saved turn.

You both need to have the same saved files on your save directory. The "host" player should save the turn then send the save files, zipped, to the "guest" player. The Guest player then extracts the files to his save directory.

Now you can resume the game.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
Tyrson

Post by Tyrson »

Cool thanks Major
brador

Post by brador »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

ORIGINAL: Alby

i KEEP LOSING..IS THAT A TECHNICAL ISSUE??
[8|]

Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere, Alby... drink a few beers, and once you stop caring whether you win or lose, then everything should be fine. [;)]
Here Here!!
You have to Out think, Out flank, Out fight, and if neccessary, Outrun your enemies........Author Unknown
Halforc

Post by Halforc »

Im not sure if this counts as a technical issue or a bugged download, but I cant use artillery at all, I can enter bombardment but cant left click on the arty icons or place target hex, any ideas?

I played up until 2 years ago regularly then discovered lasersquad nemesis by the guys who did X-com games, but keep coming back to SPWaW.
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

ORIGINAL: Halforc

Im not sure if this counts as a technical issue or a bugged download, but I cant use artillery at all, I can enter bombardment but cant left click on the arty icons or place target hex, any ideas?

I played up until 2 years ago regularly then discovered lasersquad nemesis by the guys who did X-com games, but keep coming back to SPWaW.

Maybe you should try to download the game again. You probably already know when the artillery is in contact and when it isn't?
Riun T

Post by Riun T »

Going to repeat everything I can remember about keeping SPWAW going on my machine.
First I have a gygabyte board with AMD athlon 3.2 gig processer, MSI Ti 4200 vidiocard,Adigy 5.1 soundcard and whent from 512 to a gig of kingston RAM. running all this on WIN2000pro. Noticed fewer CTD's after adding the RAM,and try to keep the Monitor refresh rate lower then u might be using it with other stuff. I have to have it on 70mghrz for playing SP and turn it up to 85 for battlefield or any other newer applications.
I also have to have the Nvidia manager switch from a newer driver to an old Omega driver, if I don't the game is still playable but the colors are shot funky. makes it too hard on the eyes. AND one recent CTD discovery is that we should all check what automatic schedualed tasks and what time there happening. EG. had my windows updates set for 3:30 pm and with being layed off right now, didn't realize that with being able to play in the afternoons ratherthan being atr work the machine was using resoarces to update and crashing me according to this process. HOPE IT ALL HELPS.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”