History channel alert

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Sarge

History channel alert

Post by Sarge »

Sunday, Dec 18 @ 8pm ET/PT

Regarded as the turning point of WWII, the daybreak invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944 actually began the night before. Shrouded in darkness, 18,000 Allied paratroopers jumped into the fog and flak-filled skies, landing behind enemy lines before the full invasion. Among them, the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the famed 101st Airborne Division. Although they became one of the most decorated units in the D-Day operation, their story has never been fully told. We illustrate how the 502nd earned distinction by achieving vital objectives through acts of great personal bravery and strong tactical leadership. The story travels from their final staging in England to the massive confusion of that perilous night--when most troops, under heavy enemy fire, missed their intended drop zones--to their setting upon the intended targets.

T
Attachments
DadsdadinWWII.jpg
DadsdadinWWII.jpg (16.79 KiB) Viewed 36 times
KG Erwin

RE: History channel alert

Post by KG Erwin »

Great photo, Sarge. Your pa-pa looks like an honest-to-goodness tough guy. [;)]
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Here is his father my GGrandfather [X(]

He also fought in France, just 25 years before and on the other side of the fence [:D]

Attachments
Scan0010.jpg
Scan0010.jpg (52.84 KiB) Viewed 37 times
ravinhood

Post by ravinhood »

That pic of your GGrandfather makes me wonder when dracula is going to jump out of the fog. ;) Those old pics have that horror story atmosphere to them.
WE/I WANT 1:1 or something even 1:2 death animations in the KOIOS PANZER COMMAND SERIES don't forget Erik! ;) and Floating Paratroopers We grew up with Minor, Marginal and Decisive victories why rock the boat with Marginal, Decisive and Legendary?

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Those old pics have that horror story atmosphere to them.

You missed the real horror story in the photo, take a look at where it was taken [X(]
BAL

Post by BAL »

You missed the real horror story in the photo, take a look at where it was taken

I noticed that, but wasn't going to say anything. [X(]

Thanks for the photos. Watched the show last night & I also wondered how the video-game-type scenes would play out. Thought it was a pretty good show. Liked the interviews & that they actually used MAPS!
I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon
Error in 0

Post by Error in 0 »

ORIGINAL: Sarge

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Those old pics have that horror story atmosphere to them.

You missed the real horror story in the photo, take a look at where it was taken [X(]

What do you mean? What happened at Braunau?

JT
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Hitler was born there.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Reiryc

Post by Reiryc »

Here is his father my GGrandfather [X(]

He also fought in France, just 25 years before and on the other side of the fence [:D]

Well atleast he fought the french in that one... so that's a plus! [:D]
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

Crazy world we live in [&:]

Here are a couple of photos

Attachments
Scan0001.jpg
Scan0001.jpg (33.19 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Scan0007.jpg
Scan0007.jpg (28.95 KiB) Viewed 36 times
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: BAL

Thanks for the photos. Watched the show last night & I also wondered how the video-game-type scenes would play out. Thought it was a pretty good show. Liked the interviews & that they actually used MAPS!

To tell you the truth I did not like the video game plug,

scott64

Post by scott64 »

I have some photos of my grandfather in WWI, I will have to scan and post soon.

[8D][:)]
Lucky for you, tonight it's just me

Any ship can be a minesweeper..once !! :)

http://suspenseandmystery.blogspot.com/
Lt. Calley

Post by Lt. Calley »

ORIGINAL: Reiryc

That he did [:D]

He was born a raised in Braunau enlisted as a officer in the Austrian army in 1915, and some how survived four years at the front. Immigrated to America to escape the horror he had seen during the war, all that just to raise a son to fight a boy from his home town back in France [X(]
I think it would be unlikely that he would have spent all four years on the Western Front. Most Austrian troops fought in Italy and in Russia. After Russia capitulated via the Treaty of Brest Litovsk in early 1918 it's possible that some Austrian troops were transferred from Russia to the Western Front, but I'm not aware of any such transfers on a large scale.
Sarge

Post by Sarge »

ORIGINAL: Lt. Calley

I think it would be unlikely that he would have spent all four years on the Western Front. Most Austrian troops fought in Italy and in Russia. After Russia capitulated via the Treaty of Brest Litovsk in early 1918 it's possible that some Austrian troops were transferred from Russia to the Western Front, but I'm not aware of any such transfers on a large scale.

What you know was aguired through a history book, what I know was aquired through his war journal [;)]

Edit: he also was shanghaied into the French Foreign Legion in 1914
Lt. Calley

Post by Lt. Calley »

ORIGINAL: Lt. Calley

What you know was aguired through a history book, what I know was aquired through his war journal [;)]
Actually, I do seem to have a vague recollection (from a history book) of some kind of Austrian presence on the Western Front. I think there may have even been a few Russian troops that served with the Allies in France. What unit was he with?

Return to “General Discussion”