Curious about supply in Lunacy Games.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Ron Saueracker

Curious about supply in Lunacy Games.

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Hi. I'm interested in the supply situations in the various lunacy games. Can those involved post some pertinent screen shots? Highest supply bases with dates etc. You guys have been going all out so it has piqued my curiosity.

Thanks, Ron.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Oleg Mastruko

RE: Curious about supply in Lunacy Games.

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I have tons of supply wherever I need it [:D]

I need it at MUCH less places than Tom, though, because there are many places I choose not to defend. Australia and NZ are bit problematic, but nothing that solid conwoy from US would not solve. Tom was much better (or luckier) in running blockade runners to Manila, which is why Manila lasted 3,5 weeks longer in his game.

Nothing interesting supply wise here... I form a conwoy, load mountainload of stuff there and send it. Compared with some of Tom's screenshots I send like 20x less conwoys than him and/or have 10x less transports at sea at any given moment (just my rough guesstimate).

I didn't have supply problems even in China. Nor in Singapore (I still hold Singapore).

Pity about Nomad game though... that was the only "real" lunacy game with original plans to attack Russia actually realized in the game.

O.
Tom Hunter

Post by Tom Hunter »

I think I can post this without causing myself too much damage but I don't blame Oleg for keeping his cards close to his vest. I cut out information that I do not want Mogami to have, and I left the big supply ports out of the picture since we all know that they are full.

Attachments
SupplyJune1942.jpg
SupplyJune1942.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Tom Hunter

I think I can post this without causing myself too much damage but I don't blame Oleg for keeping his cards close to his vest. I cut out information that I do not want Mogami to have, and I left the big supply ports out of the picture since we all know that they are full.

I am not keeping my cards close to my vest because of secrecy, I just can't be bothered to take a screenshot [:D]

I have *mountainloads* of supply. I drown in supply. I rarely ever check the supply levels at places I care about because I have so much of it.

But, thing to have on mind is I play what I call "sedating game", I don't defend places like Rabaul or Guadalcanal in force, so I don't even have to ship lots of supply to contested zones. In fact, since Manila fell 30 days ago, there are NO contested zones in my game. Grand total of combat reports for my game in the last month is less than one single day combatreport.txt in your game Tom.

Oleg
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Tom Hunter

Damn![X(]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I guess I don't understand the point of this whole excercise. What excessive supplies?

doktorblood

Well, I guess the above posts answer the doc's question.[;)]

Too bad none of these are using ABs map. The totals in Darwin are staggering, especially at this stage of the game. I wonder if ABs map would have had much impact on any of the totals we are seeing?

I'd love to see a Japanese players supply levels. Oleg's comment..." I have tons of supply wherever I need it " gives us an idea though, what?[8D]

Thanks guys.[&o]

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
Tom Hunter

Post by Tom Hunter »

Totals in Darwin have nothing to do with the rail line, and much to do with the way I run shipping. I don't think Andrews map would have any impact on my supply situation at all.

Since Oleg and Mogami are not fighting I am sure they have more supply.

I would expect Mogami to have somewhat less supply in the gave Vs. me than he has in the game Vs. Oleg but I am sure that he is well supplied too.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Totals in Darwin have nothing to do with the rail line, and much to do with the way I run shipping. I don't think Andrews map would have any impact on my supply situation at all.

Tom Hunter

Meaning you were running single ships into Darwin under Mogami's nose?[:)]

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Supply was never an issue, nor I think it should be an issue. Getting the supply to where it matters may be an issue, but it depends on many various factors in each of the individual situations (by individual situations I don't mean player A and player B I mean base A and Base B in same game).

In my game Mog had *zero* clashes with US forces except for Phillipines and first day PH strike. He didn't sink any of my ships for ages (except for some lone Manila and Singapore blockade runners). It seems quite obvious that US bases, wherehever they are, will be very well supplied. This proves nothing IMO.

Now, if he sends all that floats towards Hawaii, and we fight desperate battle there for a month or two, ask for supply situation then [:D] Right now I may well have 20k or 3 billion supply points there as he never tried to stop me from shipping it there anyway.

O.

Gen.Hoepner

Post by Gen.Hoepner »

In AB's Map the supply situation in Darwin, after 6 months of gameplay, even if there's the Aus HQ, 2000 APs, and tons of bombers is somehow decent. something around 26,000 supplies( so not enough to launch a bombing campaign from there). In Vanilla Map you can avoid supplying Darwin by sea, cause the railine will do the job. In AB's map if you want those HUGE amount of supplies you need to ship them!
Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Gen.Hoepner

something around 26,000 supplies( so not enough to launch a bombing campaign from there).

Oh it's more than enough to launch a bombing campaign.

Game uses "bombs before food" policy in such cases and will suck the base dry but bombers will fly. And fly. And fly. I am not sure whether it's good or bad, but it's yet another case of CHS guys and other nay sayers mis-identifying the problem (and then mis-applying the wrong cure). I use double negations on purpose [:D]

O.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Game uses "bombs before food" policy in such cases and will suck the base dry but bombers will fly. And fly. And fly. I am not sure whether it's good or bad, but it's yet another case of CHS guys and other nay sayers mis-identifying the problem (and then mis-applying the wrong cure). I use double negations on purpose

What are you talking about?

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I am talking about massive 4E strikes flying out of bases that are in "orange" or even red, supply-wise. I am talking about 20k supply being absolutely enough for launching 8th AF bombing campaign. I am talking about 1000's of 4E strikes flying out some Chinese backwater, while (I presume) Chinese peasants starve. But 4E bombers fly. That is what I am talking about.

O.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Oleg Mastruko

I am talking about massive 4E strikes flying out of bases that are in "orange" or even red, supply-wise. I am talking about 20k supply being absolutely enough for launching 8th AF bombing campaign. I am talking about 1000's of 4E strikes flying out some Chinese backwater, while (I presume) Chinese peasants starve. But 4E bombers fly. That is what I am talking about.

O.
Game uses "bombs before food" policy in such cases and will suck the base dry but bombers will fly. And fly. And fly. I am not sure whether it's good or bad, but it's yet another case of CHS guys and other nay sayers mis-identifying the problem (and then mis-applying the wrong cure). I use double negations on purpose

I meant the criticsm of the CHS guys. What have/can they do about the wonky logistics model that allows this bombs before food dynamic.

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker
I meant the criticsm of the CHS guys. What have/can they do about the wonky logistics model that allows this bombs before food dynamic.

CHS guys usually take one minor issue, or sub-issue and blow it way WAY out of proportion. Then they set out to seek the most ridicolous way of "fixing" it. If they break 6 other things while fixing the perceived problem, well who cares, who even knows? It's like not seeing the forrest for the trees (I am not sure I said this correctly but almost every nation has some similar proverb so you'll understand).

Darwin! Issue blown out of every proportion, supposedly illustrating both bad Australia map and bad supply model...

I never had problems with Darwin. All the while we have swarms of 4E bombers happily launching *massive* strikes out of some Chinese backwater. I've seen so many ridiciolous proposals re "fixing" the supply "problem" I nearly pissed myself laughing. Oh yes, there was one even more amusing thread - the infamous "armor on subs" [:D] Hey lets agree to disagree...

Back to lunacy game. I have no problems building every Chinese base I care about to whatever level I wanted - fort-wise, and airbase-wise. I am sure I can base 200+ 4E bombers in each: Changsha, Chungqing, and Wuchow, and lay waste everywhere in range. Supply is there. Airbase level is there, support is there. I've seen this done against me, and in lunacy game it'll be me doing this, when I feel like. For now I am sedating the game and don't want to needlessly lose bombers to his Zeros (still very strong and using Zero bonus).

Which bombers you ask? Now get this. It's mid-April 42 and I have no, repeat NO B-26 Marauders. They are declared obsolete. A-20s? I don't even remember them. All my bombers are 4E types, save for some Mitchells, slowly being phased out. If it wasn't for my little air adventure in China in Feb (too early) B-25 would be on their way to reserve and training units too.

But hey, Darwin and armor on subs need fixing, lets write *ungodly* ammount of posts about Darwin and armor on subs... and "broken supply model"... and, what are some other favorite CHS topics? yes, A6M2's range [8|]

Now, guys like you read posts like my above selectively. You'll see RED when you see stuff like ZERO BONUS, but will ignore tons of pro Allied stuff like... ummm, everything else [:D]

O.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

ORIGINAL: Ron Saueracker

CHS guys usually take one minor issue, or sub-issue and blow it way WAY out of proportion. Then they set out to seek the most ridicolous way of "fixing" it. If they break 6 other things while fixing the perceived problem, well who cares, who even knows? It's like not seeing the forrest for the trees (I am not sure I said this correctly but almost every nation has some similar proverb so you'll understand).

Darwin! Issue blown out of every proportion, supposedly illustrating both bad Australia map and bad supply model...

I never had problems with Darwin. All the while we have swarms of 4E bombers happily launching *massive* strikes out of some Chinese backwater. I've seen so many ridiciolous proposals re "fixing" the supply "problem" I nearly pissed myself laughing. Oh yes, there was one even more amusing thread - the infamous "armor on subs" [:D] Hey lets agree to disagree...

Back to lunacy game. I have no problems building every Chinese base I care about to whatever level I wanted - fort-wise, and airbase-wise. I am sure I can base 200+ 4E bombers in each: Changsha, Chungqing, and Wuchow, and lay waste everywhere in range. Supply is there. Airbase level is there, support is there. I've seen this done against me, and in lunacy game it'll be me doing this, when I feel like. For now I am sedating the game and don't want to needlessly lose bombers to his Zeros (still very strong and using Zero bonus).

Which bombers you ask? Now get this. It's mid-April 42 and I have no, repeat NO B-26 Marauders. They are declared obsolete. A-20s? I don't even remember them. All my bombers are 4E types, save for some Mitchells, slowly being phased out. If it wasn't for my little air adventure in China in Feb (too early) B-25 would be on their way to reserve and training units too.

But hey, Darwin and armor on subs need fixing, lets write *ungodly* ammount of posts about Darwin and armor on subs... and "broken supply model"... and, what are some other favorite CHS topics? yes, A6M2's range [8|]

Now, guys like you read posts like my above selectively. You'll see RED when you see stuff like ZERO BONUS, but will ignore tons of pro Allied stuff like... ummm, everything else [:D]

O.

You have taken so many tangents in one post I'm not sure what your beef is. PDUs? Not the fault of CHS. Poor ASW model? Not the fault of CHS. Retarded logistics model? Not a CHS issue. CHS pro Allied? Hardly. Not sure who or what you are targetting here.

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

Nevermind. I hope I answered your original question in the process. I have supply and support practically everywhere I care about. [:D]

O.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Nevermind. I hope I answered your original question in the process. I have supply and support practically everywhere I care about. [:D]

O.

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Too much supply.

Oleg Mastruko

Post by Oleg Mastruko »

I'd say I have too much supply in China (theater you probably don't care much about anyway). But, everywhere else I have what I'd say are realistic levels of supply.

O.
Ron Saueracker

Post by Ron Saueracker »

I'd say I have too much supply in China (theater you probably don't care much about anyway). But, everywhere else I have what I'd say are realistic levels of supply.

O.

Why would you say I don't care about China? People have been trying to get China more or less static since day one.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”