Scoring in 8.4?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Adamo

Scoring in 8.4?

Post by Adamo »

I'm another returnee and I'm still playing ver 8.2. I was wondering if, in any of the 2 updates, 8.3 and 8.4, whether the scoring system has been addressed. I play a lot of solitaire and I have yet to figure out the after-battle scoring system. I've heard others complain about this in the past and I wanted to know if it's been improved and/or fixed since 8.2.

Thanks

Adam
Terminus

RE: Scoring in 8.4?

Post by Terminus »

If you're talking about the casualty report, it's still screwy...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Alby

Post by Alby »

The end game scoring has always bothered me...way too many draws for me...
even if the point differential was signifigant

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

It is a draw if you dont have at least a set percent more than the other side. I dont know the percents, but just cause you have say 3000 points more than the other guy if it doesnt mean the percent needed for some type of victory it is a draw. Keeping enemy points down and getting points yourself is the idea.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

We all know who won.

need I say more?
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC
chief

Post by chief »

Adamo: Its just like you left it a while back. No changes that I can see. Also see previous answers.....Welcome back.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

In ver 8.0 I managed to create a scenario that can be won only if you lose less than 10 men. I did not even adjust victory point value of the troops by more than x2.

It seems that you cannot score a decisive victory by Pyrrhic victories, but it's only realistic.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
"Joss" Osborne

Post by "Joss" Osborne »

I believe somewhere there is a matrix (no pun intended!) that shows you the ranges for each vic type and I believe this is related to the type of game you play. (Assault, advance etc.) which I believe is why you do not see too many PBEM games played as "assaults".

I'll see if I can find it. This is why I've always believed any ladder/league play with this game should be scored o the raw numbers not the type of victory. This is especially true of draws.

Regards,

Joe "Joss" Osborne
Adamo

Post by Adamo »

I must say, in defense of the game, sometimes there's a fine line between victory and defeat. If a unit occupies a victory hex but is 'surrounded' by enemy units can you say that the unit has the hex 'occupied'? With that said, the game's calculations of units lost, etc. is very messed up.

adam
Puukkoo

Post by Puukkoo »

True. Some victories just don't feel like victories. If you lost 50% of your troops you cannot actually have won a 'decisive victory'.
Don't be shocked, I AM funny.
Svennemir

Post by Svennemir »

A quick google search revealed the following. It's from http://www.bostream.nu/brickhouse/spwaw.html, which in turn curiously attributes the information to these forums.
SPWaW Victory Ratios explained

This is from a post on the SPWaW forum at Matrix Games and describes how the victory rations are calculated in SPWaW. There has been some controversy in regards to the problem with scoring a Major victory in some scenarios. The reason for this happening is explained below:

I have posted this before but I will post it again.
Human vs computer
More than 1-3 Decisive Loss
1-3 to 3-1 Draw
3-1 to 7-1 Minor victory
7-1 Higher Major victory

The odds vs human player are a little lower. This is due to the predictable action of the AI in computer generated battles.
Human vs. Human
More than 1-2 Decisive Loss
1-2 to 2-1 Draw
2-1 to 6-1 Minor victory
6-1 Higher Major victory

I too think that the odds are too extreme. Fairly even players will get a lot of draws. Also the victory point contribution from taking objectives is far too small in my opinion, at least relative to the typical contribution from losses. The loss of a tank platoon is frequently worse than several victory hexes, meaning that the current system doesn't scale well into large battles, becoming pure wars of annihilation. It would be really cool if the player could apply an arbitrary factor to the victory hex points.

By the way, the "More than 1-2 Decisive Loss" looks kind of strange to me, I think it should be symmetric. The other part of the table resembles what I've heard elsewhere, so that's probably correct.
Svennemir

Post by Svennemir »

[Post removed: wrong thread. When using multiple tabs, the forum cannot figure out where your posts should go.]
Adamo

Post by Adamo »

What do those ratios represent? Are they the ratio of 'victory points'? 'Victory Points' being a combination of victory hex points and casualty points?

adam
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

ORIGINAL: Adamo

What do those ratios represent? Are they the ratio of 'victory points'? 'Victory Points' being a combination of victory hex points and casualty points?

adam

Yup - you accumulate victory points by contolling objectives and destroying your enemy.
The gnome zaps a wand of death. (Nethack)
Don't get hurt! (XCOM: Apocolypse)
Incoming firepower has the Right of Way!
Fire at Will (or Wesley)!

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”