strange signs in text

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
MAARTENR

strange signs in text

Post by MAARTENR »

there are strange signs as text together with normal[:(]
Capt. Harlock

RE: strange signs in text

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Others have had this complaint, and it's usually one of two things. PacWar uses ancient DOS EGA text, and some modern computers can't handle that mode well. You might want to contact technical support for your computer. The second issue is not quite enough free DOS memory (the first 640K). Check to see what the largest executable program size is under DOS in your machine, using the "mem" command.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

He could run it under DOSBox as well. Works for me...
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

Thats 1048576 extended memory
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

PLEASE HELP ME[&o]
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Exactly what kind of video do you have in your computer -- is it a video card, or on-board video circuitry? If a card, is it a PCI, AGP, or some other type? Who is the manufacturer?

Second, what operating system are you using? Windows 9X, 2000, or XP?
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
deVada

Post by deVada »

The second important question is - have You played with the scenario / save files ?

Could You specify where those strange signs appearing ?
the more You play - the less You understand ... :p
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

IT'S A SIS card with xp
MAARTENR

could someone send to me another version

Post by MAARTENR »

could someone please send me another version, thanx[&o]
Denniss

RE: could someone send to me another version

Post by Denniss »

What kind of SIS card ?
OnBoard Video or separate card ?
Driver version used ?

Where/when do these signs appear ?
Have you tried Dosbox ?

Have you read the fixed topic in this forum section ?
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

I DOnt know evereything never mind.[:@]
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

a sis 651c and i dont know how dosbox is used can you explain it to me in simple english. by the way i'm from Holland today holland-germany [:'(]
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Bah, just soccer [>:][>:][>:]

Btw, I had problems with strange signs when I played PacWar on a computer with an onboard video card (i.e. the video card is integrated in the motherboard, not an individual card sitting in a slot of the motherboard). I've asked for help on this forum and the gentle people here kept telling me it's a memory issue, but I had a memory configuration optimized for PacWar and still it didn't help. I simply learned to play with über-FOW [:D].
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

so you accepted the problem largeslowtarget?[&:]
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Had no choice, since I found no solution. Got a new computer soon afterwards and the problem solved itself [:D].
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

I've asked for help on this forum and the gentle people here kept telling me it's a memory issue, but I had a memory configuration optimized for PacWar and still it didn't help.

That's one of the problems of having the forum open so long: solved problems get moved to the back of the line, and nobobdy can remember the solution when the problem comes up again. When this issue occurs with an on-board video system, most often the solution is to update the BIOS to a version that correctly supports the ancient EGA graphics. (I was fortunate enough to be able to guide a questioner to the Compaq site where BIOS upgrades could be downloaded.)

Unfortunately, MAARTENR's machine seems to use a plug-in card. It is possible he could find an updated driver from SiS that could solve the problem, but I'm not sure whether EGA is handled by the video card or the BIOS in his system. It is also possible that he is having memory problems, unlike LST. My advice is to open up a DOS window ("MS-DOS prompt") and type in:

mem /c

This command will tell you how much free DOS memory you have, and what the largest size program is that can be executed. If it is less than 600 KB, this is likely to be the problem.

--Victor Hugo
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

IT'S DOSX 128 Pitty but i will try mine 3,5inch to copy to cd. thanx all
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

You do not need DOSX to run Pacific War under Windows 2000 or XP. In fact, it's a bad idea, because it takes up a lot of the precious DOS memory. You can create custom AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files to use with Pacific War: see the "sticky" thread at the top of this forum. It is, however, a bit complicated.

--Victor Hugo
MAARTENR

Post by MAARTENR »

How do i create autoexec.bat and config.sys i cant find them could you please helpe mate[:(]
Capt. Harlock

AUTOEXEC and CONFIG files

Post by Capt. Harlock »

First, go to the "sticky" thread at the top of the Pacific War forum, the one titled: Win XP, Win2000... Pacific War works!!! Read how!!!

In there you will find a post from me labeled 1/20/2003. The important thing is that it has a downloadable file at the bottom, Attachment (1). Download the attachment. Unzip the two files ("AUTOEXEC.GAM" and "CONFIG.GAM") in the attachment to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

Next, using Windows Explorer, select the "PAC.EXE" file and then click your right mouse button and select "PROPERTIES" from the menu that pops up. Go to the program sheet. There select "ADVANCED". The two editable lines should read:

%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT

%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT.

Change these to point to the new "CONFIG.GAM" and "AUTOEXEC.GAM" files.

I do not by any means guarantee that this will fix your text problem, but it will give you more free memory for DOS games. (Remember that each game has to have the "PROPERTIES" tab edited as above.)

--Victor Hugo

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”