SPWaW Technical Issues

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

KG Erwin

SPWaW Technical Issues

Post by KG Erwin »

Guys, I think we should gather up the known technical issues, together with the solutions we've found, and post them here. I'll then ask for Erik to make it a sticky. Whaddaya think?

A search through the various threads should be useful, so why don't we post them simply like this, for example:

Problem: Using 8.4 mech.exe, CTD when playing a Mega Campaign with Command & Control turned ON.

Solution: None yet. It is a known bug. Will be addressed in a future patch.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: When trying to set the firing range using the keyboard shortcut (Y key), the game freezes and I have to kill it using task manager. This happens when using the newest NVidia drivers.

Solution: Rollback to an earlier driver. For this particular gamer, rolling back to version 44.03 solved the problem.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem: Game will not open using the "Standard Start".

Solution: Create a desktop shortcut for the "mech.exe". This bypasses the opening video sequence/credits, and takes you directly to the start menu.

Problem: Running the game causes a system crash.

Solution: Turn OFF ALL background applications such as virus scanners and other non-essential tasks-- playing SPWaW does NOT require web access -- it is self-contained, and it WILL suck up all of your system resources. When playing Mega campaigns or long campaigns, it is advisable to save your game frequently.

Problem: I can't see introduction/credits video (and the game doesn't start) when launching the game from "Steel Panthers World at War Generals edition game menu "and from " Steel Panthers World at War Standard Start" and, of course, I launch the game from Quick Start.

Solution: Create desktop shortcut to "mech.exe". The Intro video can be viewed using your Windows Media Player.
Problem: Using SPWaW 8.4 with Windows XP SP2, the mouse click on assigning bombardment is working bizarre, never acts at the first click, also the scroll is crazy you can't control it.

Solution: Set the mech.exe to "Windows 98" compatibility.
Problem: video screens going black, and other display issues.

Solution: for your video card, make sure that 3D acceleration is enabled.
Alby

RE: SPWaW Technical Issues

Post by Alby »

sounds like a good idea to me.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Thanks, Alby. I have seen the same questions asked over and over by newbies, so we need to get this centralized. The new guys tend to have newer PCs, and this is the main reason they are having problems with that dinosaur program. I love it, but it IS quirky, there's no denying that.

For the record, this game has no problems in running on Win XP, but Win 2000 is another story.

Many variables in PC setups must be considered, so these solutions are general guidelines.

I hope that the members will help me compile these, and have it serve as a ready reference to the most common problems that are encountered.
Alby

Post by Alby »

I would have him look at the SPWAW FAQs up there in the training center..
That thread deteriorated into something else and never really got going.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Erik, thank you for making this thread a sticky. If the forumers have any other identified technical issues/solutions, please post them here. For newly found problems, I'd request that you mention them in the main forum, and when we get an answer, it can be pasted here. Sound reasonable? Thanks. [;)]
Alby

Post by Alby »

i KEEP LOSING..IS THAT A TECHNICAL ISSUE??
[8|]

Zap

Post by Zap »

Crashes to desktop, frustrating to say the least. Has happened in several scenarios.
I have a newer system with ATI graphic card. Latests updated drivers. (not sure if updated drivers are the problem or memory problem in the game).
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Some people have reported positive results vis-a-vis technical problems by rolling back to older graphics cards drivers. Not really a valid solution in my book, but I'll throw it out there anyway.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Zap

Post by Zap »

I have been able to play the smaller scenarios. Just some of the giagantors stop me in mid-game. I think We talked about this prolelm in another post conerning scenario 104.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Alby

i KEEP LOSING..IS THAT A TECHNICAL ISSUE??
[8|]

Sounds like you have a short circuit somewhere, Alby... drink a few beers, and once you stop caring whether you win or lose, then everything should be fine. [;)]
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Sort of a self-destructive way to resolve a technical issue, don't you think, Gunny?
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Cheat if you cant win fair and square. )
Favoritism is alive and well here.
General Turgidson

Post by General Turgidson »

?-In All the 8.0>8.4 versions, many times the program will crash ( I run Windows XP Pent. 3) when I fire Wurfrahmens (indirect fire) into a large gaggle of tanks and etc. Anyone else have this problem? -Gen Turgidson
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'm experiecing the crashes to desktop in several scenarios. But what makes it crash is selecting one tank around mid-game. The problem imminates from the game. I use Xp, Pent.4 chip equivalent. If you look through some of the threads there are several posts written concerning the Crashes to Desk top.
Matrix has to come up with a direction they want to go . Re-work SPWaW or go ahead with their new project. They say they are rethinking their options. So Idon't think there will be any fixes in the near future.
steelpanther

Post by steelpanther »

Gunny, I think that drinking is alby's problem in the first place. He tried it sober once and couldnt find the computer. But maybe you're right more is always better. Aye alby
[:D][:D]
Do not die for your country, let the other suckers die for thiers!
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

I'm downloading the newest driver right now. Have a Radeon 9800 video card. Also experienced a very strange bug. Was playing Germany vs India with the campaign generator, 3 battles. On third battle the German side suddenly switched to Soviet ID with the same German equipment, and the Indian side switched to German ID with German equipment instead of British. Even the objective emblems changed to German and Soviet.

Dep
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: steelpanther

Gunny, I think that drinking is alby's problem in the first place. He tried it sober once and couldnt find the computer. But maybe you're right more is always better. Aye alby
[:D][:D]

What??
I just saw this...

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Oh, Jeez, yeah here's the technical team : We're part-time computer geeks and rock n' rollers with bad habits. You can trust ME, mate. [8D]

OK, the office is open 9am to 5 pm, wherever you are. There's a good chance you will get a sober response from SOMEONE. [:D]
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Zap

I'm experiecing the crashes to desktop in several scenarios. But what makes it crash is selecting one tank around mid-game. The problem imminates from the game. I use Xp, Pent.4 chip equivalent. If you look through some of the threads there are several posts written concerning the Crashes to Desk top.
Matrix has to come up with a direction they want to go . Re-work SPWaW or go ahead with their new project. They say they are rethinking their options. So Idon't think there will be any fixes in the near future.

I swear, Zap, I have NEVER had this problem. I never had it on my old P400 Win 98 macihine ( now deceased), nor my Dell Dimension 2400.

Your problem MUST be related to your video card.

The simple fact is, SPWaW does not run well on high-end PCs with
super Video cards. You GOTTA dumb down your machine, starting with the video card.
Deputy

Post by Deputy »

Just finished the Das Reich campaign. Only problems I experienced were the crashes to desktop. Since the old Steel Panthers 1, 2 and 3 also did this with other computers I had, I automatically saved the game after every turn. Had to get back in the habit with WAW, but otherwise, no problems. And no more of the tanks suddenly switching IDs and flags.

Dep
Squad Battles
John Tiller's Campaign Series

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”