Destruction of Abandoned vehicles and equipment

New Recruits check in here! Vets debate the fine points! Tactics discussion, FAQ and "how-to" help.
If you are new to the SP:WaW community post an introduction please!

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

omegaall

Destruction of Abandoned vehicles and equipment

Post by omegaall »

Is it possible to destroy, blow up, abandoned vehicles etc?
I thought I read somethnig about how this was done somewhere but can not remember where.
Voriax

RE: Destruction of Abandoned vehicles and equipment

Post by Voriax »

If memory serves right you'll have to keep an infantry unit full turn in the same hex as the abandoned vehicle.

Voriax
Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!
omegaall

Post by omegaall »

Thanks. It does work on enemy vehicles. Its a lot harder on your own, when you want to blow them up.[:D]
minefield

Post by minefield »

Just leave any unit on the hex containing the abandoned equipment. You might have to shift-click to force your unit to enter the hex. I think your unit has to be in good condition. The appearance of the equipment doesn't change but if you leave your cursor over the hex it will now say destroyed. Note that if you control the map at the end of the turn, the game considers all abandoned enemy equipment destroyed for scoring purposes (not tested).
never cross a minefield
omegaall

Post by omegaall »

Yes you do have to shift-click to get the unit on to the hex with the vehicle/equipment and it does not matter if its yours or theirs.

It just one of the little things not really described in the manual. If it is must have missed it again.
Danny Boy

Post by Danny Boy »

If memory serves,

You can still choose to direct fire at a hex by using the direct fire button on the console. This can be done using any unit that can see the hex in question with the unit in it. I can't vouch for how accurate the fire will be, but I'm sure that I've cranked up unit kill stats in the past by 'killing' abandoned vehicles etc.

Cheers!
... "'Broadsword', stop shagging around and get on with the mission!"
Marten

Post by Marten »

ORIGINAL: omegaall
Thanks. It does work on enemy vehicles. Its a lot harder on your own, when you want to blow them up.[:D]

oh, thats very easy. just drive blindly into enemy field of fire [:D]
robot

Post by robot »

You can not destroy your own equipment in this game. As I advance into areas where abandoned enemy armor is I make it a point to blow them up. Gives you points in the end game and sometime I need all the points I can muster.
Robots wear armor for skin.Grunts wear skin for armor.
minefield

Post by minefield »

ORIGINAL: robot

You can not destroy your own equipment in this game. As I advance into areas where abandoned enemy armor is I make it a point to blow them up. Gives you points in the end game and sometime I need all the points I can muster.
Somewhere, either the manual or in a post, I read that if you control the battlefield (majority of victory hexes) at the end of the game, then all abandoned enemy equipment is considered destroyed for points purposes. If this is true, then manually destroying each vehicle seems a poor investment of time and manpower.
Do you know for sure that you get extra points for blowing abandoned armor manually?
never cross a minefield
Danny Boy

Post by Danny Boy »

Dear Achtung Minen,

I don't know about the points, but it certainly credits the kill stat to your unit if you do it manually.

Cheers!
... "'Broadsword', stop shagging around and get on with the mission!"
robot

Post by robot »

Here too not sure about the points but the kill factor to your unit is true. Good idea to take your low body count units and use them for the destroy missions.
RUPD3658

Post by RUPD3658 »

I think you also get a message at the bottom of the screen during the resolution phase saying that the vehicle/gun has been destroyed.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke
[img]https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfi ... EDB99F.jpg[/img]
RockinHarry

Post by RockinHarry »

Sorry, no ingame message telling about destroying "abandoned" state stuff![X(]

One odditiy: If a crew bails its ordnance (vehicle or gun) not in line of sight of any enemy units, then the "abandoned" state vehicle or gun will be completely invisible to the opponent (human or AIP)! Only the crew can be spotted or unspotted normally. That means an abandoned state KV2 in example will stay invisible, despite its size. However, if you move a unit into a hex with abandoned enemy stuff that became invisible due to the mentioned circumstances, you can observe that the moving friendly unit icon will become offsetted from the center of the hex, slightly upward. Normally you know that there is something, either a yet unspotted enemy unit, or....an abandoned/destroyed unit that you just can´t see!

Btw, the info concerning destroying abandoned stuff can be found in the Update.pdf document, concerning V4 changes:

"A unit which has been abandoned, may now be spiked by an enemy unit that spends one turn in
the hex with the abandoned unit and make an experience check. This will destroy the spiked
unit. The unit and leader spiking will receive experience for the kill, although the leader will not
receive a kill credit."
RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann
Ironfist738

Post by Ironfist738 »

Placing a Unit in the abondoned vehicle Hex does give you Bonus points toward the total game ponits. The same as if you Kill the crew as well.You get extra points......
SpWaW Game Veteran since 1991
Korpraali V

Post by Korpraali V »

They don't always destroy it automatically. Sometimes if unit has no hand grenades or it's too small abandoned mortar may stay abandoned. (At least I've had some such cases.) Then it has to be destroyed by melee attack - which can fail and cause suppression (Tried to kick lonely mortar, missed and strained my leg --> I'm in panic!!).

robot

Post by robot »

You can not melee abandoned equipment or vehicles. Must stay stationary in the same hex for one turn to destroy it is all.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

According to the rules you dont get extra points for killing crews I thought. Might be confused with SPMBT though.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Major Destruction

Post by Major Destruction »

If you force a crew to bail from a tank and that tank has a crew of 4 and at the end of the battle that tank is either destroyed, or you control the battlefield then you are credited with a killed AFV and four men casualties.

Now suppose that only 3 of the crew emerge from the tank and you kill that crew you are credite with 3 additional men casualties.

If you do not destroy the abandoned tank and also do not control the battlefield at the end of the game you will not be credited with destroying the tank i.e. not be awarded points to your score.

In tactical terms, it is always a good idea to destroy enemy abandoned vehicles or guns to protect yourself from having their crews going back to recrew them. It is also a tactical benefit to destroy those crews to increase your score and to prevent the crews from recrewing their abandoned vehicles.
They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Return to “SP:WaW Training Center”