May Update

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Marshall Ellis

May Update

Post by Marshall Ellis »

Hey all:

Just wanted to drop a quick note and let you all know that we're still working this thing day and nite! I'm now finishing some problems we had with prisoners and we're also installing much of our finished graphics as well as A NEW LOOK FOR THE UNITS! YES, THAT'S RIGHT A NEW UNIT LOOK. Hopefully we'll have some screenshots soon!

We're close but still have some more graphics and bugs to chase.

Thank you all for your patience!
Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Hanal

RE: May Update

Post by Hanal »

Thanks for supplying an update...still looking foward to this one!
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

Thank you, Marshall. I appreciate your hard work and candor.

I, for one, thought that the unit appearance that we were seeing in earlier screenshots was ... umm, shall we say ... "unworthy" of the design effort. As a Napoleonic-era game, style should be one of the foremost considerations in graphic presentation. The uniforms, the colors, and the other trappings of war were much of what brought glory to those times (of course, the horrible slaughter was the underlying reality).
Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.
eg0master

Post by eg0master »

I disagree that good graphics are that important. A good game don't need good graphics to be good. It need good graphics to be sold to many users. But I don't think graphics will be the most important factor when playing this game. Frankly I don't think anyone will buy this game because of its awsome graphics and only few will not buy it because it's ugly...

But missunderstand me correctly (a swdish saying for all you learning swedish out there... [;)] ): Nice graphics are great.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

It needs good graphics - to go along with its other elements - to be a competent design.
And I carry on anyhow.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Gameplay is the prime importance in any game, however we know that wargames arent renowned for their great graphics but thats not to say appealing graphics which help portray an atmosphere give a wargame a final touch.

Im no talking state of the art but well modeled, accurate soldiers and a good realistic map coupled with some great sound effects are always welcome on my PC.
pasternakski

Post by pasternakski »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Gameplay is the prime importance in any game, however we know that wargames arent renowned for their great graphics but thats not to say appealing graphics which help portray an atmosphere give a wargame a final touch.

Im no talking state of the art but well modeled, accurate soldiers and a good realistic map coupled with some great sound effects are always welcome on my PC.

YOU are correct, sir! I was happy with UV when I bought it but was much happier after I picked up one of Rowlf's maps, replaced the dismally plain base symbols, unoladed the silly "planebusters" graphics, and made the ships on both sides easier to look at.
And I carry on anyhow.
ardilla

Post by ardilla »

Thanks for keeping the crown down Marshall, BTW if you have some different unit arts it could be nice to leave them all and maybe the possibility to load new by the gamers so each one could choose which graphics we want after all....

We wait for your screenshots and could be nice to update a bit the game web, of course, if this doesnt steal time to any game developer.

Thanks again for your comments and interest in us, MG is doing a great "complicated" job.
Santiago y cierra España!!!
eg0master

Post by eg0master »

Maybe I missunderstood the meaning of "great graphics"... To me that is something that more or less looks good. But if you mean "great graphics" equals "a user interface that improves usability" that is another thing and ofcourse usability is top priority. Not fancy uniforms.
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Billy2003s

Post by Billy2003s »

Hey its a strange world we live in and it takes all kinds. I thought it was good of you to post an update Marshall, and for that I thank you. However........I think you must get really pi**ed off with some of the comments that come flying your way after you take the time to send the update. Me I simply say thanks for remembering that there are some of us awaiting news and appreciate friendly updates on a regular basis.

Crack on, all the best

Billy
ardilla

Post by ardilla »

Well, what I meant is that one MG had done several counters, they could leave them and let the players choose them as load new counters graphics.

Also could be neat to see your country counters in a pbem game with both sides at the same time, p.e. the flag as a background and the counter back numbers on top, IMHO.

Regards.
ardilla

Post by ardilla »

I just wanna became a Matrix Trooper, since the february attack I lost my old login and rank [:D]

Amunt Valencia!!

I apologies for the post.

Regards.
Madcombinepilot

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Thanks for the update.

(i know I am a bit late with that, but I am hoping that the updates will contiunue)
crenfrow

Post by crenfrow »

I am also very thankful for the continued updates. I do have a quick question. Why does the actual game website not get updated. There are screen shots and other things on the site, are they acurate? Just curious. Thanks[:'(]
ardilla

Post by ardilla »

Marshall, give us a May update stat or pictures.

Thanks
Becket

Post by Becket »

Man, this could be a great summer...EiA, WitP, and then GGWaW later on.

"The very word Moscow meant a lot to all of us....it meant all we had ever fought for" -Rokossovsky

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”