The WWI scenario that someone was working on???

Panther Games' Highway to the Reich revolutionizes wargaming with its pausable, continuous time game play and advanced artificial intelligence. Command like a real General, under real time pressures to achieve real objectives on a real map all within the fog of war. Issue orders to your powerful AI controlled subordinates or take total control of every unit. Fight the world's most advanced AI opponent or match wits against your friends online or over a LAN. Highway to the Reich covers all four battles from Operation Market Garden, including Arnhem, Nijmegen, Eindhoven and the 30th Corps breakout from Neerpelt.

Moderator: Arjuna

Ross Moorhouse

The WWI scenario that someone was working on???

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

Did the WWI scenario that was user made get posted to the net anywhere? [&:]
Ross Moorhouse
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Email: rossm@csogroup.org
Jane Doe

RE: The WWI scenario that someone was working on???

Post by Jane Doe »

-deleted-
Ainsi dans le courage et ainsi dans la peur, ainsi dans la misère et ainsi dans l'horreur.

"first you need a tear, just a tear of gin......and then a river of tonic"
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Hi Ross, how are you going mate! Tom dropped us his WW1 scenario and map, though it's not yet finished. I've asked Golf33 to check it out and I've been in touch with Tom re his maps. Stay tuned. Progress is underway.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Ross Moorhouse

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

Hi Dave. I am doing ok. Very busy in the Australia Post Customer Service Investigations Dept.

Good to here this WWI scenario is getting your stamp on it. If you need some testing on this scenario let me know. [:)]
Ross Moorhouse
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Hey, who said we're trying to stamp it out. [;)]

Actually, we're just trying to assist where we can on this. It will definitely be a "user's scenario" not an official one.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

I'm still here :-) Glad to see we're back on line. I'm reworking the map and OOB completely and the scenario just seems to be growing like a hungry child. It was just supposed to be the 94th Brigade of the 31st Division and now, due to the 4m per pixel scale of the map I'm going to end up including the 48th South Midland Division as well. I hope to be able to simulate the time-frame from June 30 so you can do some preliminary bombardment and night raiding to July 5th when the division was relieved.

And for my next trick... can anyone say Santiago de Cuba?
Tom
Ross Moorhouse

Post by Ross Moorhouse »

ORIGINAL: Richmond516

I'm still here :-) Glad to see we're back on line. I'm reworking the map and OOB completely and the scenario just seems to be growing like a hungry child. It was just supposed to be the 94th Brigade of the 31st Division and now, due to the 4m per pixel scale of the map I'm going to end up including the 48th South Midland Division as well. I hope to be able to simulate the time-frame from June 30 so you can do some preliminary bombardment and night raiding to July 5th when the division was relieved.

And for my next trick... can anyone say Santiago de Cuba?
Tom

Mush Mush.. Faster..
[:D] This one I am really looking forward to. Night raiding of the trenches will be fun.
Ross Moorhouse
Project Manager
www.csosimtek.com
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

Well it would go a bit faster if you guys would care to help in the research. I'm doing pretty well with online sources but any other outside sources that you have available would help greatly. Mainly need info on the 31st, 4th and 48th Divisions on June 30-July 5 (battle of the Serre) or, for the German side, the 52nd Division (66th, 169th, 121st Reserve Regts). Have checked most online sources already. Would appreciate more commander bios for added flavour and greater variety of CO initiative. Also wondering if anyone has a map of the area from Gommecourt/Hebuterne down to the Serre. My initial map was apparently WAY too small and I need to extend northwards to keep the scope and focus on the 31st Division activities - this is what is really slowing me down, the map, so if you got any info on that ;-)

I'm estimating that, at the rate this is going and info is coming in it may still be mid march before the final version is out.

Thanks very much,
Tom
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

Dang I finally found out what I was doing wrong... I somehow got the impression that the size entered in the MM prog was pixels (since the instructions asked me to scale it at a 1m x 1pixel ratio) not meters. Duhhh!!! No wonder my maps were impossibly small. It's really this thing that I've been dancing around for so long - I make a map and check the km scale (thanks for providing that!!!) and whoops it's not right. I think it might be right this time though it's still a bit confusing to me.

By the way, Golf33 I cleared out space in an alternative email address:

richpics516@yahoo.com

Okay, it's looking up now. The map should stretch from south of Hebuterne across Serre to just north of Beaumont Hamel and the infamous crater (w/c I won't be able to realistically simulate of course so it aint there) and from west to east from Colincamps to Puisieux au Mont in the German rear. A nice long walk with enough maneuver room for forces (my problem with my first map is that it was so small that routed forces would be 'trapped' against the map edges. Not so here hopefully.

I'm working over the next two weeks but I think this should be done by the first week of march or monday of the second week at the very latest.

Bloody map!!
Tom Richmond
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

Tom,

email sent.

Re: the crater, you might be able to simulate it using an area of lower elevation surrounded by areas of higher elevation? Although you can't put 'holes' in layers, you can wrap them around the area you want to leave out and just make sure the points meet up exactly on the other side. Let me know if this isn't clear enough & I'll try and send you a screenshot. Remembering the game will smooth over the layers, this should result in a reasonably crater-shaped area of the map.

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

Hi there Steve,

Actually it's not really necessary as it's outside the scope of the action I'm simulating w/c is the battle for Serre. What I meant was it's impossible to simulate the BLOWING UP of the mines by the Tunnelling Companies of RE. In my less sane moments I was pondering a battalion level Somme scenario and I was thinking of simulating mines by making a supercharged artillery regiment that's been upped to 900% strength but with only one or two gun rounds per cannon to simulate the explosion but of course you wouldn't be able to simulate the resultant crater. Well you can't get everything you want. :)

Richmond
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

To all and sundry, (especially you sir, Mr.Moorhouse) sorry for what seemed like an arrogant reply some time ago when I asked for outside information. Real life has been extremely stressful and my confusion over the map has been driving me nuts. I didn't mean to sound so impatient. Again my sincerest apologies.

Tom Richmond
Mr. Personality

Any other maps/scenarios?

Post by Mr. Personality »

Here's a repeat of a second message that I posted yesteday that seems to have been lost...

On the general topic of user created and/or modified scenarios and maps, I feel like I am either missing something, or there simply aren't any out there yet. I've looked through a couple of pages of topics in the HTTR forum, but I didn't see any topics whose titles are "Get your user-created scenarios here" [:)] or something similar. I even checked in again over at the Drop Zone, and the only files over there were the old ones for RDOA.

I've spent a few minutes each with the map and scenario editors, and they don't look overwhelmingly complex, especially given that they appear to have well written instruction books. However, I confess that I myself haven't taken the time to create anything even modest in scope. Are there any new maps or scenarios out there, or is anyone at least getting close to having one finished?
Richmond516

Opinion poll on British unit scale for SERRE

Post by Richmond516 »

Hi there,

As per Golf33's suggestions I'm revamping the OOB (I was using MOT Inf Coys not 'leg' Inf Coys) and since I'm working on the OOB anyways I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on game scale? I know the smallest Allied Infantry unit in HTTR is a company and I can easily do that, however, this would essentially give Allied units 4 maneuver companies and a reserve company w/c will incorporate the attached MGs and mortars from brigade. The problem is during the attack on Serre, some regiments formed their attack waves of two platoons from two different companies - for instance the 11th East Lancs (Accrington Pals) formed their first wave of two companies each from W and X IIRC. Also, before the assault on the Somme I'm hoping to start about a day early to give the artillery some time to 'soften up' the Huns and maybe time enough for a little 'trench raiding'. The thing here is apparently the frontline is only being held by one or two battalions from the 92nd Brigade w/c constituted the 31st Divisional reserve. Four companies plus a reserve company per battalion would find it a bit difficult to cover all the ground. Naturally there's not going to be leaders for every unit but I've managed to research most of the battalion COs with a TON of help to the webmaster of the Accrington Pals website.
So my question is, should I stick to company level except for the leading waves of all British battalions or go down to two-platoon (half company) units?

Thanks for your feedback and interest,
Richmond
Arjuna

RE: Opinion poll on British unit scale for SERRE

Post by Arjuna »

Stick to Companies.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Richmond516

Post by Richmond516 »

Hi there Golf33,

About your earlier advice, I'm not sure exactly how the whole supply set-up works. If there's a supply base then it provides supply, if not then HQ provides supply, if there's a division and regimental supply base then division passes it down the line to regimental and so on? Trying to simulate a very tenuous supply situation where you have to be very close to your supply source to be resupplied. Another thing I was thinking of doing was using the supply BASE type troops to represent auxiliaries and/or even civilians but I'm really not sure how the whole supply chain thing works.

Thanks,
Tom R
Golf33

Post by Golf33 »

No, in HTTR it's a lot simpler than that. We had to leave something to add for BFTB, didn't we? ;)

Every unit on the map will receive a percentage of its supply capacity at 3am every day of the game. That percentage is determined by the "Supply" setting in the Scenario Selection screen, and by side (Germans get more for the same supply setting). Units will max out at 100% of their supply capacity. That's it; bases don't play any role in resupply in HTTR.

In BFTB of course, resupply will be fully reworked and logistic units will become very important indeed.

Regards
Steve Golf33 Long

Return to “Highway to the Reich”