highlighting formations

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
fulcrum28

highlighting formations

Post by fulcrum28 »

In some scenarios, you click on the HQ of an army and all divisions that belong to it are highlighted, so they seem to belong to the same formation.

In D21, you click on a corps or Army HQ, and only a few support units are highlighted. Is it not possible to increase the number of units for German HQ corps/Army formations? Currently, the HQ at army or corps level are not really related to specific divisions. We dont really have a clear OOB for Germans. The soviets, in FITE, for example, have different colors for denoting each Army, something done in WITE game.
The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
sPzAbt653

RE: highlighting formations

Post by sPzAbt653 »

D21 is designed so that the player doesn't find it necessary to keep units in a corps or army organization. It isn't convenient, and it isn't historic, because most if not all units switched subordination thru out the war.

Now, maybe you are like me and you like to keep an organization. For me it is pretty much mandatory, I can't play with out it. But do you want me to color coordinate all the units for you, and then you have to stick by that setup the whole game? I wouldn't want your setup, so I guess you wouldn't want mine!

When I play D21 I keep the attached file open, and also a printed version in front of me. It's as they say - anal to do so, but I'm OOB OCD.
Attachments
AxisOOBprintable.txt
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

You mentioned the Soviet Color Scheme in FitE2, Doc and I are the ones that came up with that. Below is the chart that we used to try and keep it all straight. It was done mostly for cooperation purposes, but also for organization. I'll also mention that from a PO perspective, smaller formations are desired for maximum flexibility [Axis]. While D21 currently doesn't have a dedicated Axis PO, it will soon. [;)]

Attachments
ArmyColors.jpg
ArmyColors.jpg (353.57 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

D21 is designed so that the player doesn't find it necessary to keep units in a corps or army organization. It isn't convenient, and it isn't historic, because most if not all units switched subordination thru out the war.

Unfortunately very few people seem to understand this. Even the 'monolithic' Soviets moved Divisions, Corps and Armies all over the place from formation to formation from the very beginning of the Barbarossa campaign. But the entrenched mindset is that they were not capable of doing this. Very false thinking. Any scenario that restricts a division of either side to one higher formation isn't aware of the realities of the situation.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”