TOAW4 for dummies

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here
jjdenver

TOAW4 for dummies

Post by jjdenver »

Is there a "for dummies" thread?

For example I am having a look at a scenario (Italian East Africa in this case) where there are dedicated arty units. How do I use these?

Let's say I have a couple of division ready to launch an attack and I have the arty unit available. Bombardment range of the 105mm guns in the unit is 1 hex.

Do I put the unit directly into the attack with the 2 divisions?
Do I park the unit in a hex adjacent to the attack and put them on Tactical Reserve? Local Reserve?
Or do I do something else to get them into the attack?

Same question on defense. Let's say I have a straight defensive line with divisions dug in. I have an arty regiment avail to support them. Let's say this time range is 2 hexes. Where do I place it and what deployment mode do I set it to?

Another question. I have what seem to be construction engineer brigades (crossed pick and shovel icon). They contain rail repair crews and trucks. Are they of any use other than to rove along the rail line and repair it in case it gets broken somehow? What would actually break the rail line anyway?

Thanks
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Curtis Lemay

RE: TOAW4 for dummies

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

For example I am having a look at a scenario (Italian East Africa in this case) where there are dedicated arty units. How do I use these?

Let's say I have a couple of division ready to launch an attack and I have the arty unit available. Bombardment range of the 105mm guns in the unit is 1 hex.

Do I put the unit directly into the attack with the 2 divisions?
Do I park the unit in a hex adjacent to the attack and put them on Tactical Reserve? Local Reserve?
Or do I do something else to get them into the attack?

You bombard with them. (See 10.5.1)
Same question on defense. Let's say I have a straight defensive line with divisions dug in. I have an arty regiment avail to support them. Let's say this time range is 2 hexes. Where do I place it and what deployment mode do I set it to?

Anywhere within 2 hexes of the line. Either dig it in or use a reserve deployment (especially tactical reserve).
Another question. I have what seem to be construction engineer brigades (crossed pick and shovel icon). They contain rail repair crews and trucks. Are they of any use other than to rove along the rail line and repair it in case it gets broken somehow? What would actually break the rail line anyway?

Capture of the line by enemy units may break the line (or your capture of enemy rail lines may break them - necessitating you to repair them if you want their use for logistics or rail movement).
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

RE: TOAW4 for dummies

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Try here, at times you might find an answer to something:
tm.asp?m=4386330

There are beginner videos and tutorials here, in posts 27 and 41:
tm.asp?m=2231803&mpage=1&key=

Return to “The War Room”