Amazon Sale for Pac War books...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

oaltinyay

Amazon Sale for Pac War books...

Post by oaltinyay »

There seems to be a sale for military history books in amazon, for 1.30 each, there seem to be several good reads.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5B2VZ6/re ... 80_TE_M1DP

British Battleships 1919-1945: WWII Evolution of the Big Guns
The Battleship Builders Constructing and Arming British Capital Ships
Fighters Over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War
Naval Firepower: Battleship Guns and Gunnery in the Dreadnought Era
British Cruisers: Two World Wars and After
The Kaiser’s Battlefleet: German Capital Ships 1871–1918
Rebuilding the Royal Navy: Warship Design Since 1945
Armoured Trains ----> I was looking into this and this is a good one !
British Destroyers & Frigates: The Second World War & After
British Cruisers: Two World Wars and After
Fighters Over the Fleet: Naval Air Defence from Biplanes to the Cold War
The British Battleship 1906-1946
The Kaiser’s Battlefleet: German Capital Ships 1871–1918
Fighting the Great War at Sea: Strategy, Tactic and Technology
Rebuilding the Royal Navy: Warship Design Since 1945
British Battleships 1919-1945: WWII Evolution of the Big Guns
The Battleship Builders Constructing and Arming British Capital Ships
HMS Rodney: The Famous Ships of the Royal Navy Series (Warships of the Royal Navy)
British Destroyers & Frigates: The Second World War & After

oaltinyay

RE: Amazon Sale for Pac War books...

Post by oaltinyay »

well actually not directly about Pacific :( but lets say they are quite related topics...
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

This just made me think of the fact that I'd really like a book that does for the US Navy what the book Kaigun did for the IJN. Anyone have any recommendations? I've read War Plan Orange, but I'm looking for something that goes beyond warplanning to encompass the entire doctrinal, strategic, and technical development of the USN from 1900-1942.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

There seems to be a sale for military history books in amazon, for 1.30 each, there seem to be several good reads.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5B2VZ6/re ... 80_TE_M1DP

well actually not directly about Pacific :( but lets say they are quite related topics...
warspite1

When I clicked on the link you provided this came up. This wasn't on the list you wrote but is definitely directly about the Pacific! [;)]

The British Pacific Fleet: The Royal Navy's Most Powerful Strike Force (Hobbs)

For that price its more than worth a read - as are some of the books you quoted above (if one is interested in naval warfare generally).

No good for me sadly as a) I have most of these but b) the sale is for Kindle and I have to have good old fashioned paper. But given the quality of the books, for those who aren't stuck in the 20th Century like me, this is a very good deal.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Never liked the brand name "Kindle" - it seems to suggest burning paper books!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

ORIGINAL: oaltinyay

Thanks much! Picked up a couple books....can never have too many books to read on the kindle!
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Regardless, I absolutely love my Kindle. I used to be a "physical books" types of guy and if I'm being honest it probably remains the superior format, but it can't compare with the extreme convenience of literally having a library at my finger tips in the form of a tablet device. This is especially great as I travel a lot. Furthermore, recent models of the kindle such as the paperwhite version have improved so much it almost is like reading a physical book in terms of the visual experience.

I don't think I'll go back to non-kindle books anytime soon.
jmscho

Post by jmscho »

I've been reading e-books (on tablet and more recently Kindle) since 2010. I find the only reason to have/use real books is where the pictures matter more then the words.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Regardless, I absolutely love my Kindle. I used to be a "physical books" types of guy and if I'm being honest it probably remains the superior format, but it can't compare with the extreme convenience of literally having a library at my finger tips in the form of a tablet device. This is especially great as I travel a lot. Furthermore, recent models of the kindle such as the paperwhite version have improved so much it almost is like reading a physical book in terms of the visual experience.

I don't think I'll go back to non-kindle books anytime soon.

I read an article about reducing jet lag recently which said research suggests that the blue screens upset the melatonin cycle in the brain and travelers should avoid using such reading devices as well as laptops and televisions. Ironically, the article was online...
fair winds,
Brad
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Taken from sleepfoundation.org
An e-ink e-reader (like the Kindle Paperwhite, as opposed to the Kindle Fire) is also a good idea, because it doesn't produce the same type of blue light that a smartphone or tablet would

I have and use a Kindle Paperwhite, which I have been very impressed with. I don't use the tablets that emit bright light like the iPad.
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Taken from sleepfoundation.org
An e-ink e-reader (like the Kindle Paperwhite, as opposed to the Kindle Fire) is also a good idea, because it doesn't produce the same type of blue light that a smartphone or tablet would

I have and use a Kindle Paperwhite, which I have been very impressed with. I don't use the tablets that emit bright light like the iPad.

Ipad is probably one of the worst devices to read stuff, however the kindle is not good with pdf and photos/maps etc.
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

The biggest problem I have with my kindle is when a map is shown it often can't be
expanded so the tiny printing is illegible.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”