OT: BF-109 wing question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

OT: BF-109 wing question

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Off topic:

question for the aviation experts, what is this thing on the left wing of this BF-109G ?

thanks in advance

Attachments
20190321..Results.jpg
20190321..Results.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 889 times
BBfanboy

RE: OT: BF-109 wing question

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Off topic:

question for the aviation experts, what is this thing on the left wing of this BF-109G ?

thanks in advance

Well obviously, it's the mating proboscis ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

lol, I think it is a radio antenna, but why there? looks awkward
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

I'd say it is the Morane rod antenna used with the Fug 16zy D/F radio system. Green in "Warplanes of the Third Reich" mentions it being positioned under the port wing of later war Me 109s like the G-10. And yes it looks awkward but apparently one of the features of the system was it allowed German ground controllers to track the fighter's signal and guide it for operations in poor visibity (ie Northern European winter conditions).

This was the only sig line I could think of.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

lol, I think it is a radio antenna, but why there? looks awkward

Negative. The radio antenna runs from the post behind the cockpit to the top of the vertical stabilizer.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

It is what Buckrock said,
not the normal radio antenna, but something specialized

I found on wikipedia:

FuG 16 Z, ZE and ZY: These sets were airborne VHF transceivers used in single-seat fighter aircraft for R/T and W/T communications, and were also used for ground fixes and DF homing on ground stations when used in conjunction with the FuG 10P or FuG 10ZY. Installed for Bf 109G-3/G-4 and later, Fw 190A-4 and later subtypes. Frequency Range was 38.5 to 42.3 MHz. The FuG 16ZY was also used for Y-Verfahren (Y-Control), in which aircraft were fitted up as Leitjäger or Fighter Formation Leaders that could be tracked and directed from the ground via special R/T equipment. Aircraft equipped with ZY were fitted with a Morane whip aerial array. Principal components: Transmitter, Receiver, Modulator in one case, S 16 Z Tx, E 16 Z Rcvr, NG 16 Z Modulator Dynamotor U 17 Antenna Matching unit AAG 16 Z Modulator Unit MZ 16 Homing Unit ZVG 16 Indicator AFN - 2
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”