I think I found a bug with PO assisst!

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Iamstrategygame

I think I found a bug with PO assisst!

Post by Iamstrategygame »

I am unable to delete the first objective of the PO assist, this is very bad because my unit keeps going back the the first object. Is there a fix? what im I missing?

Attachments
operation.jpg
operation.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 360 times
altipueri

RE: I think I found a bug with PO assisst!

Post by altipueri »

I found the same issue. Is it to do with a unit being on the hex?

Edit - well it's not that I just tried it on the Waterloo scenario too.

Second edit - maybe something to do with a formation must have at least one objective set by the scenario creator if there are to be re-inforcements. Manual 17.11.09 - 13
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Iamstrategygame

I am unable to delete the first objective of the PO assist, this is very bad because my unit keeps going back the the first object. Is there a fix? what im I missing?

The first objective can be used to set the arrival point of rebuilt units of the formation, so it can't be changed in-game.

In the above case, that objective is enemy controlled. So the PO is going to direct the formation to take it. If you want that formation to do something else, you'll have to put it in manual mode and do it yourself. If you hand control of your forces to the PO expect them to act like the PO (kind of bone-headed, in other words). I would only use that feature in quiet sectors that aren't very important.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Iamstrategygame

man I wish they can fix this!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Let's see if I have this right. You want the PO to control the unit but you want to tell the PO what to do. Is that correct?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

No.

Although one should beware of low post counts, if you want to use the PO assist and send units in a different direction than the scenario designer's PO objectives you can do so for all objectives except the first (Obj1).

I'm just back after an alcoholic evening so disregard this post if obviously wrong. :)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: altipueri

I'm just back after an alcoholic evening so disregard this post if obviously wrong. :)

Been there once or twice myself back in the day. [;)]

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I prefer medical marijuana for my PTSD.
If listening to djt doesn't insult your intelligence then clearly you don't have any.
Iamstrategygame

yes, that first way points messy up the PO assist. A lot of time it will prioritize that first way point instead of the way point I give them, basically I can't use PO assist for combat.
ORIGINAL: Lobster

Let's see if I have this right. You want the PO to control the unit but you want to tell the PO what to do. Is that correct?
for combat anymore!
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

Yet I managed to move an Obj1 when I tried it on the Smolensk41 scenario.

Play as Russians and find the south west formation 13th Army - I can move by drag and drop the Obj1 to somewhere else - I moved it to Roslavl in the middle of the southern bit of the map.

But when I tried it with the 22nd army - top centre of the map - I couldn't remove it or move it by drag and drop.

Curious.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey you guys....leave obj1 where it is. The reinforcements use that as an entry point and it's not supposed to be moved. The other objectives for that track will lead away from obj1 along the path desired until it arrives at it's destination by putting the last objective there. Try that.
If listening to djt doesn't insult your intelligence then clearly you don't have any.
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

It also seems that once there are no more reinforcements for an OBJ1 it can then be moved by drag and drop.

I have now completed an almost successful retreat east of Smolensk. Sure I lost on victory points but I kept most of my army.

I know this isn't what the scenario designer wanted - but I like marching my 10,000 men to the top of the hill and marching them back down again.

Once I feel I understand how to use the PO assist I will play some larger scenarios - but only as a junior officer on the flank or rear.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

It's kind of fun and instructive to have the computer play both sides.
Iamstrategygame

Under play there is object track, there are 5 tracks. If 1 is taken by the scenario designer I just chose objective track 2. My point is even after choosing object track 2 and inserting my own objective 1 mark, I can't delete or move it! This is the fundamental problem. This might not seem like a big deal on 20 turn scenarios, but for huge maps and 300 turns plus scenarios, this is a big problem!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

There should be a way to erase all objective tracks for a formation and insert all new ones. That would probably involve a good deal of programming.

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

There should be a way to erase all objective tracks for a formation and insert all new ones.
Sometimes the scenario designer leaves one or more tracks "empty" and you don't have to do anything fancy when your units have moved a far distance away from OBJ1.....just switch to one of the empty tracks and if there's already an OBJ1 and it's far away from the action in Germany then just put OBJ2 somewhere near where the unit is currently and go ahead and lay your new tracks by laying down new objectives. It's my understanding that D21 uses the different tracks to handle the different time periods of the scenario. That's a wonderful idea.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

Under play there is object track, there are 5 tracks. If 1 is taken by the scenario designer I just chose objective track 2. My point is even after choosing object track 2 and inserting my own objective 1 mark, I can't delete or move it! This is the fundamental problem. This might not seem like a big deal on 20 turn scenarios, but for huge maps and 300 turns plus scenarios, this is a big problem!

Iamstrategygame,
You're really wasting time on trying to make the PO Assist actually assist in a smart way. I played the PO for a few tutorial games to learn the ropes of TOAW 4 but now am switching to playing both sides in Hotseat mode. The PO is just another Artificial Ignorance and it's really difficult for scenario designers to properly program them to do smart moves. One thing I hate about the PO is how units vacillate between two objectives, never stopping and resting. I like to watch the PO's play each other to see why they are so inept, they are way too busy and they almost never stop and rest units that are too fatigued.
Omnius

Post by Omnius »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

larryfulkerson,
Yep it is fun to smoke my non-medical marijuana and watch the Artificially Ignorant PO's make a mess of things. The saddest part of last playing TOAW 2 and now picking up again with TOAW 4 is that Norm hasn't smartened up the PO to actually stop and rest units. One of the dumbest things is to watch PO-controlled units move back and forth between two objectives, really bad for naval units, and burn up all movement accomplishing nothing. It's ironic that the manual advises humans to rest units when they reach a certain level of exhaustion or low level of supply but Norm has yet to program that kind of intelligence into the PO. The PO is only annoying because it never ceases movement and useless bombardments, I find that resting my units and keeping them from being overused always whips the overly active PO. That and making sure I recombine units so I don't have a bunch of tiny ants that are easily stepped on.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Omnius
ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
larryfulkerson,
Yep it is fun to smoke my non-medical marijuana and watch the Artificially Ignorant PO's make a mess of things. The saddest part of last playing TOAW 2 and now picking up again with TOAW 4 is that Norm hasn't smartened up the PO to actually stop and rest units. One of the dumbest things is to watch PO-controlled units move back and forth between two objectives, really bad for naval units, and burn up all movement accomplishing nothing. It's ironic that the manual advises humans to rest units when they reach a certain level of exhaustion or low level of supply but Norm has yet to program that kind of intelligence into the PO. The PO is only annoying because it never ceases movement and useless bombardments, I find that resting my units and keeping them from being overused always whips the overly active PO. That and making sure I recombine units so I don't have a bunch of tiny ants that are easily stepped on.

I've found that Recreational Marijuana gives me psycosis symptoms. And I'm already as crazy as I'm comfortable with so I've been sticking to the Medical kind. It's got very little THC in it so I need to do several bong hits before I get a buzz on. I probably do 4 hits an hour all day every day. Except when I'm asleep. I feel pretty mellow all the time now. No more nightmares and hallucinations and headaches.

I'm not one to use the PO a lot. There's something I like about moving the units with my own hand. I tried to use the PO Assist feature to guide my units and I noticed that I didn't know how to make them go where I wanted them to go. And they all seemed to go at their own individual rate instead of the 'broad front' approach where their movement is coordinated. And you're right about the needless moving from one hex to another just to return to the first hex and then make another identical trip before ending the move. Having accomplished nothing useful, just burning off supply. Knowing that Elmer works this way, scenario designers sometimes give Elmer lots of extra units because most players can beat Elmer fairly easily. D21 gives you a fairly good contest even though you're up against the AI.
cathar1244

Post by cathar1244 »

And you're right about the needless moving from one hex to another just to return to the first hex and then make another identical trip before ending the move.

That simulates the sergeants-major getting a collective case of the jaws and subjecting the troops to re-training on drill and ceremonies. [;)]

Cheers

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”