SSG Updated Versions

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Skeleton

SSG Updated Versions

Post by Skeleton »

I've pretty much stopped playing any wargames on PC and all of my time and money are spent playing boardgames now. Having said that, I still fire up the SSG titles and every time I do I am reminded why I got into PC wargames in the first place. Being pretty much resigned that SSG is no longer viable for anything new, what are the chances that any of the Decisive Battles games (or battlefront or Kharkov) would be updated and given a UI/appearance make over? I realize the chances are slim, but, one can always dream...
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
Skeleton

RE: SSG Updated Versions

Post by Skeleton »

Yes, one of the founders and principal developers (Ian Trout) passed away sadly not long after Kharkov was released and that pretty much ended SSG. I am hoping more for something along the lines of what Matrix did for the Battleground/Campaign games that John Tiller did. Maybe it is my old age, but nothing in the last four or so years seems to hold my interests for any length of time if at all. Solitaire war/board games seem to fill that gap now.
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

SSG made my first wargames. Carriers At War and Europe Ablaze on the Commodore 64. I also used to buy Run 5 magazine. Very fond memories.
War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

SSG made my first wargames. Carriers At War and Europe Ablaze on the Commodore 64. I also used to buy Run 5 magazine. Very fond memories.

Had them both for Apple 2e -good games. Also "Reach for the Stars" - one of the first 4x4s
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

SSG were pioneers. Roger Keating squeezed whole theatres of war into 64K
XXXCorps
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

This thread got me to re-install all of the Decisive Battles games after having played Kharkov for the last couple of weeks. Amazingly, they all installed and play beautifully, save for Battles in Italy which starts and runs fine, with one exception; I have all black terrain?!? Anyone have any pointers? It doesn't make sense that Korsun Pocket runs fine as does Normandy.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I still have a bunch of Run 5 magazines. I have been buying board games of late. I am getting bored as well.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Yes, I would consider myself strictly a board gamer at this point. The only PC games that really interest me now are either board game ports or those that have a board game feel, ala Decisive Campaigns or TOAW.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Skeleton, by the way, I bought a game called Congo Merc, I find the directions horrible. Are you familiar with any of the Solitaire games? Maybe we can chat, pm me and thanks for writing

I also loved the SSG games and still am looking for one that keeps my interest. I find as I am getting older, less endurance in trying to play these games.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

Absolutely demyansk, feel free to pm me anytime. I've logged in here more in the last week than I have in the last couple of years! I am pretty much exclusively a solitaire board gamer at this point in my life. Currently on my table are all of the D Day games, which I am playing in release order;

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... maha-beach

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... day-tarawa

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... ay-peleliu

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... y-iwo-jima

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame ... n-ardennes
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

I play Carriers At War. It runs at higher resolutions (1920x1080 and 2560x1444) and I still find it very enjoyable.

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/product.asp?gid=337
XXXCorps
RobS61

Post by RobS61 »

I'd prefer to see The Complete Carriers at War made playable for Win7. It ran fine on WinXP. (That's the original CaW, not the newer remake.)
BiI, KP, Battlefront and Kharkov all run fine on my Win7, although I've never learned to play them.
Bill Gates Cured My Stage 4 Hemorrhoids
chris_merchant

Post by chris_merchant »

I recently bought an old 1280x1024 monitor so I can run the SSG DB games in their native screen resolution.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: RobS61

I'd prefer to see The Complete Carriers at War made playable for Win7. It ran fine on WinXP. (That's the original CaW, not the newer remake.)
BiI, KP, Battlefront and Kharkov all run fine on my Win7, although I've never learned to play them.

The original CAW ran on the Commodore 64. [:)]

XXXCorps
RobS61

Post by RobS61 »

ORIGINAL: IslandInland

The original CAW ran on the Commodore 64. [:)]

And probably on various Apples, Amigas and PC's.
Regardless, this is what I'm referring to:

It might run on DoSBox, but I'm not familiar with using that. Ideally, I'd love to see it for Android tablets.
Bill Gates Cured My Stage 4 Hemorrhoids

Return to “General Discussion”