Nuclear Ordnance Delivery

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
NikolaiEzhov

Nuclear Ordnance Delivery

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

Each unit can only deliver one nuclear warhead on one target during a combat resolve.
But in a classic Cold War scenario, there should be substantial use of tactical nuclear weapons, where sometimes over 30 nuclear warheads would be delivered into a small vicinity, while over 100 nuclear warheads will be detonated in a short time period.

This requires a "nuke salvo" from a ground/air unit (e.g. an SSM battalion or a TFS/TFW, in most cases of division/brigade-level Cold War scenarios) - all available missiles (usually 4-6 for an SSM battalion) or all available bombers (18-24 aircrafts) will deliver the warheads simultaneously. But this can not be achieved in the TOAW, which limit the number of nuclear missile fires in one combat resolve (can be seen as a round) to 1.

I suggest that the number of nuclear attacks being conducted by one unit should be limited by the amount of nuclear-capable delivery systems, i.e., an SSM battalion of 4 Scud missile TELs can conduct 4 instead of 1 nuclear attacks in one combat resolve, and the 4 attacks can be aimed at different targets.
Proletariat of the world, unite!
NikolaiEzhov

RE: Nuclear Ordnance Delivery

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

The contemporary TOAW depiction on nuclear warfares may resemble that in the 1940s-early 60s, but not the 1970s-90s when a lot of nuclear warheads was issued to general purpose forces.
joey

Post by joey »

I often wondered how well submarines, that may or may not contain nuclear weapons, are modeled in NATO v. Warsaw Pact scenarios. I am sure these weapons were factored into the overall strategy of both sides during the height of the cold war.
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

They are not modeled. There are no submarines in TOAW universe.[:D]
joey

Post by joey »

ORIGINAL: NikolaiEzhov

I know. I was trying to make my point without shouting. There really should be as they were a major part of NATO's strategy during that time.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: joey
ORIGINAL: NikolaiEzhov
I know. I was trying to make my point without shouting. There really should be as they were a major part of NATO's strategy during that time.
I'm wondering if there might be some kind of adjustment that could be made to the EQP file or the NQP file that would produce a workable sub. What kind of changes would be required anyway?
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

Could be hard. The modeling of TOAW naval battles is more like decisive engagements between major surface battle groups basing on the experience of WWI/WWII, where the submarines hardly take a part in.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”