AI Help?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Angron

AI Help?

Post by Angron »

So I bought this awhile ago in order to play it with a friend but that fell through, the other reason was that I really hoped that there would be a singleplayer option bc I am horrendously antisocial and will always be a solo player first.

Basically, HOI2 is too old and simple for me now, WITE and WITW have a narrow focus, WITPAE is kind of boring to look at and is opaque af. HOI3 is a nightmare of pointless busywork, HOI4 has the depth of a pancake and an AI that makes an eggplant look like Mozart.

All I really want in life is a WW2 strategy game where I can direct the big picture. Doesn't have to be the whole world though that's certainly a desire.

WITPAE comes very close but it's so slow, I mean the turnover times I did fix it for my system, and even by wargame standards very unengaging since you can't really zoom in.

I NEED the experience that I had playing Hoi2 back in the day as a kid. A game of that type. Again doesn't have to be a close match but every strategy game seems either narrow in focus, 99% of them, broken or not well designed, HOI4, or so old that they run on MSDOS, everything else.

None of these games do the Pacific theater well either. Again I know it kinda sounds like WITPAE is my jam but it just, isn't.

Anyway enough background ranting. I know it's boring [>:]

I'm unclear as to what the status of the AI is for MWIF. I know it has been worked on and the game has been out for quite some time.

If AI is an option how do I use it? I haven't reinstalled the game yet bc IIRC you had to download AI for each country?

If it's at all possible for someone to walk me through the process, assuming it's worth doing, I'd be very grateful. [&o]

michaelbaldur

RE: AI Help?

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: Angron

So I bought this awhile ago in order to play it with a friend but that fell through, the other reason was that I really hoped that there would be a singleplayer option bc I am horrendously antisocial and will always be a solo player first.

Basically, HOI2 is too old and simple for me now, WITE and WITW have a narrow focus, WITPAE is kind of boring to look at and is opaque af. HOI3 is a nightmare of pointless busywork, HOI4 has the depth of a pancake and an AI that makes an eggplant look like Mozart.

All I really want in life is a WW2 strategy game where I can direct the big picture. Doesn't have to be the whole world though that's certainly a desire.

WITPAE comes very close but it's so slow, I mean the turnover times I did fix it for my system, and even by wargame standards very unengaging since you can't really zoom in.

I NEED the experience that I had playing Hoi2 back in the day as a kid. A game of that type. Again doesn't have to be a close match but every strategy game seems either narrow in focus, 99% of them, broken or not well designed, HOI4, or so old that they run on MSDOS, everything else.

None of these games do the Pacific theater well either. Again I know it kinda sounds like WITPAE is my jam but it just, isn't.

Anyway enough background ranting. I know it's boring [>:]

I'm unclear as to what the status of the AI is for MWIF. I know it has been worked on and the game has been out for quite some time.

If AI is an option how do I use it? I haven't reinstalled the game yet bc IIRC you had to download AI for each country?

If it's at all possible for someone to walk me through the process, assuming it's worth doing, I'd be very grateful. [&o]

there are no AI right now. just a solitaire and a 2 person netplay.

and the AI that he is working on is for 1 of the small scenarios

I been a beta tester for 11 years, and only test solitaire. I also hope I can test something new soon
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Many enjoy playing solitaire because there's so much depth and so many possibilities in this game that when you switch sides you see things you didn't see playing the other side.
Paul
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

Welcome to MWiF Angron. Hang in there. It looks like work on the AI will begin in earnest around mid-year, but a tremendous amount of background stuff has been done already, so hopefully progress will be relatively swift.

In the meantime, the game is very suitable for solitaire play. It's really difficult to predict the other side's potential moves when one is playing a side. Also, I use coin tosses or die rolls to choose between viable courses of action to add unpredictability. It's a great way to learn the game whilst waiting for an AI to arrive.

I highly recommend giving it a go.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Aren't some optional rules and half-map scenarios happening before AI?
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Paul
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

ORIGINAL: Angron

HOI3 is a nightmare of pointless busywork, HOI4 has the depth of a pancake and an AI that makes an eggplant look like Mozart.

heheheheheheh!!

[:D]
[:D][:D]
Pancake? it has a wide depth IMO.

I liked very very much HOI3, most ambitious strategy WWII game up to now, and the 4th reiteration should have resolved its issues, some of them recalled by you now, and added new desired features, but instead currently developing team which clearly was not really history-of-war oriented but just strategy gamers in general mad of it an horror oversimplified 6-7th grader level thing;

things have been changing though recently, with the induction of a brilliant history nob modder in the team, which is leading to incredible changes in the game- even though still hindered by the childish team leader; expected close expansion is adding great depth and content to many aspects of that game;

I'm a big player of WITPAE, and the only suggestion I could give you regarding that wargame is...play it PBEM on very flexible terms; there are scores of players who shall accept to play with you under said conditions, me included;
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

You might take a look at Strategic Command WW2-World at War that was released recently.
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

I wanted to like it, but seems pretty simple rules, a complete different category to MWiF. Look at the second video in Steam showing the naval warfare or the most voted comment on "Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe". I guess they have similar rules (if not the same):
* No stacking - the biggest limit for support units for the attacker is that each unit takes up one huge hex
* No coordinated attacks - instead of issuing a common order for all attacking units you have to attack one by one, have the first units absorb lots of losses.
* Navy has no impact on amphibic assaults - you can evade entire Royal Navy by only moving port-to-port every turn. Only way for RN to prevent: line up in the channel blocking every hex.
* Silly air units - you can have four dedicated fully upgraded naval bomber fleets (Germany's max) and they can barely, without enemy fighter cover, sink one battleship without taking moderate losses. Bombers take losses from attacking entrenched infantry with no anti-air of any sort. Bombers can eradicate land units completely from the air - not organization loss, but complete obliteration.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
rtoolooze

Post by rtoolooze »

Wow, I thought about picking that one up juntoalmar, (since I haven't yet), but after reading your comment, looks like I won't. Thanks for the heads up
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Yes, I considered it myself as well as a quick and easy PBEM alternative to MWiF, but after reading the comments from players, looks more like a Pokemon game in a WWII environment.
jardail

Post by jardail »

Hope they get the AI out before the end of the year. I'll buy it if they do. Call me lazy (I won't argue), but I'm not playing both sides.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

ORIGINAL: jardail

Hope they get the AI out before the end of the year. I'll buy it if they do. Call me lazy (I won't argue), but I'm not playing both sides.
Don't mean to be pessimistic here, but I think you'd have a better chance at winning the mega-millions lottery than seeing an AI by the end of the year.
Ronnie
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

That is, assuming you have a ticket. If not the chances are about equal.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

[:D][&o]
Peter
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

'Time of Fury' would have been the game, WW2 from Norway to NA, from The Atlantic to the Urals, with naval and air components.

No stacking, but the ability to split and merge basic corps and divisional units into 3, essentially down to brigade, or kampfgruppe size, which provides some flexibility.

Units of the same nation can combine attacks, with units in combat also drawing support, both in attack and defence, from adjacent units not directly involved in the combat.

Political and production elements with random, or variable 'events'

However, can be unstable, got bugs and an unreliable editor. It can be made to work, as it is easily modded and corrections can be applied, but it is hard work, although very rewarding when it's functioning properly.

A potentially great game that never quite made it, after development and support faded out.

The reality is that there are no vast corporations, with massive resources, working on these 'niche' market games, mainly small groups, sometimes solo. It's always going to be a struggle to make any progress.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Even if you don't have a ticket, I think the odds of winning the lottery are higher. The winning ticket could blow into your face as you are walking down the street. I can't think of any scenario that would produce an AI this year.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

For WitP AE fans and WIF ones here ia a typical issue with World at War.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4597625

I own WaW and have some major issue with the game. I'm not sure why as I really enjoyed War on Democracy (ie SC 2) and the War in Europe game. But this one just does not do WWII justice imho.

I totally agree about Time of Fury. Really disappointed it did not get better treatment as it really could have been a great game.

I also got Man the Guns expansion for HoI 4 and it really makes the game a much more realistic one. As it adds fuel and fuel costs for almost anything with a motor, ships, plane, trucks, etc. So fleets can no longer sail about with no impact. Totally changes the entire game.

CanInf

Post by CanInf »

I have a minor problem with WiF right now which will be sorted out with 3!! yay!

In the mean time I am playing the third rate HoI IV, which is not so bad. Now with the fuel it's kind of OK (ish)
Hairog

Post by Hairog »

While waiting for the AI to show up you may want to look at SC3 using the Naval Mod Beta I developed. Me thinks it substantially improves the naval game of both SC Europe and SC World at War. Here

Another possibility is the new game War Plan. It looks very promising. Here

I sure hope that Shannon and company can get it finally together on WIF however.
WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

Return to “World in Flames”