MHTK missile effectiveness against anti ship missiles

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

orca

MHTK missile effectiveness against anti ship missiles

Post by orca »

Any opinions of the possibility of employing the MHKT missile as a CIWS on naval ships against modern anti ship missiles?

MHTK is a designed as a C-RAM weapon. MKTK is less than two and a half feet long, approximately one and a half inches in diameter, and a total weight of around five pounds.

Would a direct impact hit by a MHTK missile result in either destroying, damaging, or altering the course on a typical large fast modern anti ship missile? Would a hit at close ranges still result in damage to the ship? Or is the missile just too small to be effective at this?
SeaQueen

RE: MHTK missile effectiveness against anti ship missiles

Post by SeaQueen »

I have no opinions at all about using it at sea, but on the ground it does really well until it gets schwacked.

If it can hit a rocket artillery or mortar round then it can probably hit a cruise missile, although it might require some minor modifications. It'd probably be at least as good as a system like Phalanx. In my Defending Poland scenario, the MHTK is used in combination with other systems (e.g. Phalanx).

orca

Post by orca »

In command it seems to work well. Would it likely be effective in real life?

Thanks
CV60

Post by CV60 »

Would a direct impact hit by a MHTK missile result in either destroying, damaging, or altering the course on a typical large fast modern anti ship missile? Would a hit at close ranges still result in damage to the ship? Or is the missile just too small to be effective at this?

Any hit of a modern missile by a 5 lb projectile would destroy the missile. If the missile was sufficiently close to the target, its momentum may still carry it into the target, but otherwise it is extremely probable that the missile would be critically damaged. The fuel/electronics/control systems of a modern missile are very tightly packed, and there is essentially only a thin skin of light metal that forms the body of a missile. The MHTK round is going to hit something vital, rendering the missile ineffective.
“Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?” -Abraham Lincoln
orca

Post by orca »

Thanks for responses!

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”