Time Management

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
TitaniumTrout

Time Management

Post by TitaniumTrout »

I'm playing the Finland 1941 scenario and trying to get a handle on the time mechanic in the game. If I initiate a combat early on, and the combat planner tells me it should only take 2 rounds, why does it take all of my 10 turns? Am I missing this information somewhere?

This is after I plan a combat. So it should only take 20% right?

But it ends my turn, and these were the only units to have done anything for the entirety of the map.

What am I missing here?

I'm having a difficult time parsing what my time expectation is and how the turn flow should proceed.
Curtis Lemay

RE: Time Management

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: TitaniumTrout

I'm playing the Finland 1941 scenario and trying to get a handle on the time mechanic in the game. If I initiate a combat early on, and the combat planner tells me it should only take 2 rounds, why does it take all of my 10 turns? Am I missing this information somewhere?

This is after I plan a combat. So it should only take 20% right?

But it ends my turn, and these were the only units to have done anything for the entirety of the map.

What am I missing here?

I'm having a difficult time parsing what my time expectation is and how the turn flow should proceed.
Actually, the Progress Pane is showing you that the combat is starting two rounds late. Then, the actual combat took eight rounds to complete (the "Duration" column in the Results dialog). That's all ten rounds consumed. Since that was the only combat, the turn advances ten rounds - ending the turn.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

Is there any way that I could have known it would have carried so long?
TitaniumTrout

Post by TitaniumTrout »

I ran through the opener again, moved all my units, set all my attack orders for the entire front, and ended up with 30% remaining.

So even though I had units that moved and attacked, on a similar scale as the above example, I'm left with 30%?

Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Try using the attack planner. Maybe you can get a better handle on how much of a turn you are using on any individual combat. Don't forget a turn can end because of a failed check also.

It's a good idea to check out Oberst Klinks tutorials on Youtube also.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Is there any way that I could have known it would have carried so long?
Not really. Although experience with the scenario will enable you to make educated guesses.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I ran through the opener again, moved all my units, set all my attack orders for the entire front, and ended up with 30% remaining.

So even though I had units that moved and attacked, on a similar scale as the above example, I'm left with 30%?

Look at the "Round" column. That's when the combat starts! Look how many combats you have that don't start until after 7 or 8 rounds have been wasted. You need to postpone such combats till later in the turn.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”