Battle Generator Suggestion

Armored Brigade is a real-time tactical wargame, focusing on realism and playability
Werezak

Battle Generator Suggestion

Post by Werezak »

Hi, I was thinking about setting up some battles in AB inspired by a few scenarios from Flashpoint Campaigns (another excellent cold war era wargame), and I had a few ideas that I think would really enhance the flexibility of the battle creator and help replayability.

In addition to the standard deployment where side A deploys on one side of the map and side B deploys on the other side, the player could have the option to customize the deployment areas by sequentially choosing:

1) A deployment polygon for side A's main force.
2) A deployment polygon for side A's recon force (this would normally be a larger polygon that encloses the one for the main forces, but the player could do anything they want).
3) The same for side B.
4) An objectives polygon in which objectives would be generated.

You can imagine how this could really open up more possibilities for the battle generator, while still allowing the player to take advantage of dynamic objectives generation.

I was wondering how feasible it would be to add something like this in a post-release patch, perhaps. Anyways, thought I should post it for your consideration.
Veitikka

RE: Battle Generator Suggestion

Post by Veitikka »

It would not be easy to implement, because of the AI issues, but we can think how to improve this in the future.

I want to make it clear that even now you can adjust the deployment zone sizes, manually place the objectives, give them names by editing the .xml file etc. There's a .bmp image file that comes with the scenarios, and it can have for example 'no-go zones' painted in it, so the setup zones or the battle area don't have to be rectangular.

Attachments
3218.jpg
3218.jpg (162 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Know thyself!
Werezak

Post by Werezak »

That's too bad, but I understand how it can be. Having AI that behaves in a believable way is really critical for a wargame IMO, and I like that having good AI seems to be a focus for this game. Thanks for replying!
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Ummm what about do like in other titles like Flashpoint or Graviteam titles??? they divide map in squares and you can decide if a square is A or B deployment areas... this help create scens (or play skirmish) with a side starting in a corner... even is possible made this a players choice, i imagine in add for skirmish mode the option to define the number of deploymnet squares you can place in map.

This is something to improve in future, step by step and with a good test because i prefer something working over something not working in a so important area.

Return to “Armored Brigade”