Understanding sequence of events in a combat rounds

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
jjax

Understanding sequence of events in a combat rounds

Post by jjax »

I cant remember how long I've had 3 and now i have 4. Finally trying to get a deep understanding of the game and I'm on to to combat. (Don't be surprise if you see more obvious questions from me).

Anyways, I'm trying to get a good idea of the sequence of events of a combat round. In particular, were attacker losses come from.

After looking at the manual, I see that each round consists of:
1) bombardment
2) anti-tank
3) anti-personal
4) assault and retreat checks

I'm pretty sure both attacker and then defender have a bombardment phase. Do both attacker then defender fire on hard and soft targets. Or do attacker losses just come from assaults?

If there is another post or wiki that better explains this, I wont be offended if you just post that either [;)].
--JJAX

Cabido

RE: Understanding sequence of events in a combat rounds

Post by Cabido »

I've set up a chart when I was relearning to play the game. There is an explanation on how to understand the attacking strengths and combat mechanics. It's mostly for beginners (this part of the chart), since veteran players do it intuitively, but I think it is important to understand it so that your future intuitive actions wont be based on bad habits. It's worth the effort in the beginning for this reason and also to prevent the frustrating feeling of not knowing why attacks/defenses are going wrong; there is enough going under the hood so that, sometimes, the summed up numbers on the counters can be misleading.

https://ufile.io/ye5pc
jjax

RE: Understanding sequence of events in a combat rounds

Post by jjax »

my goodness, that's awesome. I'll definitely read through this closely. Thanks!
--JJAX

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”