Tracing supply overseas question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

tom730_slith

Tracing supply overseas question

Post by tom730_slith »

In my current solitaire game the Italians have been very successful in North Africa, clearing the UK out of Egypt and aligning Iraq after moving into Jordan. The USSR invaded Persia to deny the Axis the additional oil and possibly moving into Iraq. During all this the Italians were able to get a series of convoys to Iraq and are now in supply in Iraq. Several German units were transported to Syria, but upon moving into Iraq became out of supply. Since the Italians are in supply via convoys linking the Persian Gulf to Italy, shouldn't the Germans also be in supply?
Several turns later I managed to get German convoys (including a Yugoslav convoy) to connect the Eastern Med to the Persian Gulf, but still the German units in Iraq are Not supplied.
Is the Yugo convoy the problem?
Is the fact that Greece was conquered by Italy (and not Germany) the problem?
Do I need a string of German convoys all the way from Germany to Iraq?
Would one more convoy in the Eastern Med solve the problem?
Currently Germany has aligned Spain (and Gibraltar) and conquered France if that matters.
Any advice/help would be appreciated!
Thanks!
paulderynck

RE: Tracing supply overseas question

Post by paulderynck »

As long as there's an Italian convoy chain to Italy, then the German units should be in supply like the Italian units. Note that it can depend on how the path is traced, FREX the Italians can use Baghdad as a secondary source but the Germans cannot - because you can't use the capital of a minor aligned with a power you cooperate with, only one they've conquered. So while Cairo and Athens can be secondary supply sources (just like HQs are) for German units, Baghdad cannot be.

If this doesn't look like your problem, please post a saved game.

BTW it doesn't matter how many convoys there are in a sea zone for tracing supply so one more in the East Med won't matter. Likewise you can use friendly even non-co-operating convoys for tracing supply (in MWiF) so the Yugoslav convoy shouldn't matter.
Paul
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

Thanks Paul. My current German convoys link the Persian Gulf to Eastern Med. The Italians conquered Greece and Yugo is aligned to Get. I assumed the convoy in Eastern Med connected to Athens and then by rail to Berlin. Is that not correct?
Orm

Post by Orm »

Does the Germans have a secondary supply source in Iraq? Otherwise they need to draw supply from the coast or within range from a port.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: tom730

Thanks Paul. My current German convoys link the Persian Gulf to Eastern Med. The Italians conquered Greece and Yugo is aligned to Get. I assumed the convoy in Eastern Med connected to Athens and then by rail to Berlin. Is that not correct?
You can use F8 to examine how your units are being supplied.

If you do not have F8 on your keyboard, you can right click on any unit and use the unit menu to bring up the Supply Display.

If the Italians are using an aligned (to Italy) minor country capital in their supply line, then the Germans will not be able to use that supply line.

There can also be issues with which major powers are at war with major powers on the other side. But things get very tricky at that point.

Posting a saved game would let us see what you are seeing.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

In this area the supply issues use to have to do with what has been mentioned: few railroads, capitals secondary only for some powers, ..., and a very important issue, the increased cost of the desert hex for supply. Check this as well...[;)]
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: tom730

You can use F8 to examine how your units are being supplied.

If you do not have F8 on your keyboard, you can right click on any unit and use the unit menu to bring up the Supply Display.

If the Italians are using an aligned (to Italy) minor country capital in their supply line, then the Germans will not be able to use that supply line.

There can also be issues with which major powers are at war with major powers on the other side. But things get very tricky at that point.

Posting a saved game would let us see what you are seeing.

Thanks again! It may have had something to do with USSR and Italy being at war but Germany not. In any case, I'm a turn later and Get units now in supply!
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

In that case had your tried saving the game and then reloading it? There were times when that fixed supply issues.
Paul
tom730_slith

Post by tom730_slith »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

In that case had your tried saving the game and then reloading it? There were times when that fixed supply issues.

That may have been what did the trick. I usually don't play for more than 1 - 2 hours and then save for the next chance I have to play. So while I'm not sure that helped or not, the German units in Iraq (still not at war with USSR) are in supply.

Return to “World in Flames”