2nd Civil War questions

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

navekaoy

2nd Civil War questions

Post by navekaoy »

Trying to get a game of this fine-looking scenario going on TWC and had a few questions I wanted to get straight before starting.

1) The "official" sides are supposed to be CSA + Texas + California vs. USA + Mexico, right? It says Mexico canjoin the USA, but I assume this means that Mexico should join the USA...(or does the card force the issue).

2) Transport: I take it horses can't transport infantry? Oh and one of my questions was going to be about the CSA tank units that say they have wheeled movement, but don't have enough transport capacity to move all the infantry at wheeled speed. But then I realized they move at infantry speed, so the game's just lying about the wheeled bit but isn't cheating.

3) Is weather recommended? (I assume yes).

4) This doesn't matter for multiplayer, but in case I test it first vs. the AI, how exactly does the AI Personality option affect the game? Does turning it on make it harder or easier?

Thanks to anybody who can help!
ernieschwitz

RE: 2nd Civil War questions

Post by ernieschwitz »

I'll try to do this by memory, but honestly I haven't looked at the scenario since it came out, so this may be wrong. So take it with a grain of salt.

1). It is recommended to only play the Sandbox version, since the non-sandbox version never was completed. This will give Mexico a free choice to whomever they want to join.

2). I don't recall if horses can transport infantry. Bombur would have to weigh in on that. The reason that some units show wheeled for instance, is that the game always takes the least favorite movement type for a unit. If there is mud, then that can quickly turn into wheeled. However sticking to roads should still give the infantry movement rate. SO don't worry, it is WAD, although the type of movement on the counter may be a bit off.

3). You can choose weather or not, depending on your preference. There is no bug in the weather system that I know of. There are however other bugs. Twotribes is the one who knows most about which there are at present, since he plays it (often?).

4). If I recall, changing it to personality makes it harder to guess what it will actually do. Some times the AI for a nation will be aggressive, sometimes more passive.

In any case good luck with your game. It is, I think, a good scenario, although I strive for excellence.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Haven't played recently the non sandbox version works sort of. You just cant give back land captured. I generally don't use weather so can not comment on that. In non sandbox the USA has a chance to ally with Mexico after the war starts.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Ohh ya you get errors when the AI plays just click through them
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

well, it really sucks that I'm apparently the only one who would like to get this scenario going again and get these bugs fixed.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

well, it really sucks that I'm apparently the only one who would like to get this scenario going again and get these bugs fixed.
I would like them fixed too. Just not likely. It is a pretty good mod.
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

you are sadly correct! I have asked Ernie a couple times if this will ever get finished and he said doubt it. very frustrating though as I wasted all my time on the map and for nothing.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

very frustrating though as I wasted all my time on the map and for nothing.

Whenever you learn something, time is not wasted. And it wasn't for nothing, since we got a lot of publicity too. Probably more people got a look at the scenario than would have otherwise.

I offer up to anyone that they can mod the code anyway they want. I'll even tell them why it is coming up with the errors and methods to fix them. Doing so myself would be preferable, but I just don't have the time.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

would have been nice if you had the same zeal with this as you do with the GD1938 one. It is still rather frustrating that this failed to get finished.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

The truth is in the eye of the beholder. I find it rather good that this "failure" actually gets a 9.3 review on the Scenario bank :)

Also I did have the same zeal back then, as I do now for GD1938v3. :) What can I say?

This was a joint project. Three people made it. To hold one person responsible for it would seem rather wrong.

Also, this version, is free for anyone to mod. Including you Lion of Judah. :)

• Advanced Tactics Gold
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

we all have our strengths in making scenario's. Mine is map making, yours is coding
Philo32b

Re: 2nd Civil War questions

Post by Philo32b »

It looks as though someone fixed the bugs in this scenario because I am playing it and have not seen any.

This is a great scenario--I am enjoying it greatly. I like how it stretches all the resources thin, forcing you to make careful decisions. Thank you so much to everyone who worked on it!

One question: What do the two wartime economy cards do? I looked at the events they trigger (#81 and 82) in the programming, and I can't even begin to understand what is being done under the hood.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Understand that this is a very old scenario, so I had a quick look and nothing more at the code.

From what I understand, it increases your peoples production mod if controlled by your own people by + 0.10 or + 0.20, depending on which of the two cards you play. This will reflect on the cost of stuff. It will be cheaper.

Oh, and yes there are still bugs, but they are rare to stumble upon. One of them crashes the game, so save often.

Have fun,
Claus
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
Philo32b

Post by Philo32b »

Thank you, Claus--I appreciate your help!

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”