Admin points

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

pbcrnk

Admin points

Post by pbcrnk »

To be clear for a newbie like myself...AP for Germany are for HDBU and leader assignments and for soviets formation and support builds? Anything else of note?
Nix77

RE: Admin points

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: pbcrnk

To be clear for a newbie like myself...AP for Germany are for HDBU and leader assignments and for soviets formation and support builds? Anything else of note?

Quite often you need to move around units in the HQs, that costs APs too.

Soviet Air Force needs to build up (more bases and air regiments) and also upgrade/swap planes actively.

Whenever Soviet units get destroyed, they automatically use APs to rebuild. That's why most players keep their AP at 0 during turns when you have units surrounded and have a risk to be destroyed.
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

starting my first campaign as Germany....what do I need to concern myself with as far as AP go?
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

Replace the weakest leaders, and appoint the best ones to hotspot corps.

Arrange support units to your liking, most efficient method is probably the AP free automatic move. All HQs to 0 SU and OKH to 9. You should be able to spread the units for free a few turns later.

HQBU, I really don't know since it really costs a lot after the changes and I have no experience on that. In previous version I used most of my APs to HQBU, even neglecting leader changes.

Get AGS & Romanians sorted out so that HQs don't go too much over command capacity: clean all the corps below cap, armies preferably under the cap too. Army Groups can and at some point will go over the cap, but that doesn't really matter that much. Romanians can be moved under their own High Command, not sure if that's worth the point cost though. Most efficient method to do this is probably moving them under one army and moving that away from AGS.
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

Would concur with the above.
T1 shunt the SUs up to Army level, T2 to Army group, T3 to OKH. Then lock OKH and pull them down for free - 6 Art to most corps, AA to Luftwaffe (maybe), Pioneers etc. to your main strike force (maybe armor, maybe infantry divisions).
Assign security divisions to OKH.
Can shift the 11th Army Romanians to one Romanian corps, then shift that corp to a Romanian army, then reallocate.
In the current patch I would use T1-3 or so to bring in new leaders. Then save for HQBs. You can use the 'random' method by reassigning a cheap leader between corps and hoping his replacement will be one of the expensive top quality ones - can be fun to see what you get (just make sure to assign the good cheap ones first).

It may be worth paying to shift the pioneers around during the game if you are doing heavy assaults. I would usually use a stack to take Leningrad and afterwards transfer them back to OKH ready for the next big assault.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

ORIGINAL: Nix77
Arrange support units to your liking, most efficient method is probably the AP free automatic move. All HQs to 0 SU and OKH to 9. You should be able to spread the units for free a few turns later.

Can't find this in the manual...can you elaborate on how to do this?
pbcrnk

Post by pbcrnk »

ORIGINAL: tyronec

Would concur with the above.
T1 shunt the SUs up to Army level, T2 to Army group, T3 to OKH. Then lock OKH and pull them down for free - 6 Art to most corps, AA to Luftwaffe (maybe), Pioneers etc. to your main strike force (maybe armor, maybe infantry divisions).

procedure? not fluent yet to find the mechanics to do this
tyronec

Post by tyronec »

T1 set support level for all higher level HQs to 9. Set support levels for corps to 0. The SUs will move up the chain.
Then the next turn lock all the corps and set armies to 0. And repeat.

Note that corps will still keep 2 pioneers and I think 3 construction SUs.

With some corps which have few SUs can be more subtle and lock them from T1, just have to look at each one individually. Can also pull construction SUs into the Security Armies (particularly for AGS) to stop them from migrating into corps. I like to have most of my construction units outside the fighting corps/armies.

Also note that if a higher level HQ is locked then everything below it is also locked.

There is a lot of mouse clicking, early turns are a pain in the neck for admin.
The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Enough of Stalin, Freedom for the Ukraine !

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”