Edit save game to play longer?

Post new mods and scenarios here
Shadrach

Edit save game to play longer?

Post by Shadrach »

I'm currently playing a scenario (Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944), where it's obvious I will never ever finish in the allocated number of turns. In fact this is my second play, and I don't think it's possible to finish this as the designer intended as the Russians. Maybe borked because of new rules in TOAW4, I don't know...

But I'd still like to play it as 'what if' and just continue to clear out the Germans.

I've found I can open the save (sal file) in the editor, and edit the end turn. But not if this is enough, or if this is a recommended way of doing this?

Are the other settings in the editor I need to be aware of, to make sure I can continue playing it after turn 30?

Maybe better to edit the sce file directly and start it from scratch? But I don't really want to do this...
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

RE: Edit save game to play longer?

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
I'm currently playing a scenario (Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944), where it's obvious I will never ever finish in the allocated number of turns. In fact this is my second play, and I don't think it's possible to finish this as the designer intended as the Russians. Maybe borked because of new rules in TOAW4, I don't know...

But I'd still like to play it as 'what if' and just continue to clear out the Germans.

I've found I can open the save (sal file) in the editor, and edit the end turn. But not if this is enough, or if this is a recommended way of doing this?

Are the other settings in the editor I need to be aware of, to make sure I can continue playing it after turn 30?

Maybe better to edit the sce file directly and start it from scratch? But I don't really want to do this...
I've heard through the grapevine that when you edit an ongoing game the editor automatically set's the current turn to 1
as if you're starting over again with the game. Good luck with your project. Let us know if we can help.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Yeah... I just tried, didn't notice the turn thing, but what happens is I get an error saying the scenario can't be played in this version of TOAW [&:]

I guess editing save games in not the same as editing a scenario, I was hoping it would be basically the same type of file.

Maybe if I save it as a SCE file instead, but then all the events will be broken since I would start on turn 1?
- Norm Koger
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I'm not sure what works 'cause I've never done it but there are people
who have, mostly multi-player game types. Try saving it as an SCE
file and I have no idea what the events will do. Probably start
over at turn one.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

I saved it as an SCE file, but it loads up on turn 1, so all events will be off. I might have to go through and delete all events before the turn I am on.

Or just start from turn 1 again, may as well I guess...

Unless someone has some clever hacks to trick the game into loading an edited save game?
- Norm Koger
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Don't fiddle with editing a sal-converted-sce file. Easier to make a new scenario and start over.

Turn on 'Scenario Variability' in the Game Options. This will extend the game beyond its' End Date. I don't know for how long.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”