Question about Soviet armaments

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Tollwut

Question about Soviet armaments

Post by Tollwut »

Hi guys, quick question here:

I'm currently playing in a campaign as the Axis and am evaluating my overall campaign efficacy. It's October 1941 and I've managed to destroy about 90-100 Soviet armament industry points.

Now my question is

firstly, what is the total amount of Soviet armament points?

And secondly, what downriver effect will the destruction of 100 Soviet armament points have on the Red Army's ability to wage war? Please let me know if you know anything.

Many thanks,
Tollwut
"I'll show you where Iron Crosses bloom..." (Steiner)
Stelteck

RE: Question about Soviet armaments

Post by Stelteck »

Hi.
I cannot look at the turn currently but if i remember well total amount of Armament point soviet side if 380.

In current balance of the game the soviet will experience a brief shortage of armament point in autumn 1941, but this will be cured beginning of 1942. (New armament production factor for AA factories and far less units to equip).
The limiting factor of the soviet army is manpower and not Armament points.

Loosing 100 Armament points production will have little effect. I have no idea which amount could have a significant effect. (Leading to surplus of manpower because you cannot give weapons to your troops fast enough). Maybe 200 destroyed.

This surplus of armament points is mostly due to the fact that it is not really possible to use a AA excess.
You cannot say. Hey, looks like i have tons of armament points left, let's use them by building tons of 203mm Howitzer support units !! Or expansive cavalry squads !!!

There is a maximum number of 203mm Howitzer or cavalry squads you could built per turn, whatever your number of AA points left.
You cannot built more than 200 cavalry squads a turn.
For 203mm, do not remember but probably less than 10.

Due to this hard cap limit, it is very hard to accelerate troop production with more armament points production and so they are not so critical.
Brakes are for cowards !!
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Hi.
I cannot look at the turn currently but if i remember well total amount of Armament point soviet side if 380.

In current balance of the game the soviet will experience a brief shortage of armament point in autumn 1941, but this will be cured beginning of 1942. (New armament production factor for AA factories and far less units to equip).
The limiting factor of the soviet army is manpower and not Armament points.

Loosing 100 Armament points production will have little effect. I have no idea which amount could have a significant effect. (Leading to surplus of manpower because you cannot give weapons to your troops fast enough). Maybe 200 destroyed.

This surplus of armament points is mostly due to the fact that it is not really possible to use a AA excess.
You cannot say. Hey, looks like i have tons of armament points left, let's use them by building tons of 203mm Howitzer support units !! Or expansive cavalry squads !!!

There is a maximum number of 203mm Howitzer or cavalry squads you could built per turn, whatever your number of AA points left.
You cannot built more than 200 cavalry squads a turn.
For 203mm, do not remember but probably less than 10.

Due to this hard cap limit, it is very hard to accelerate troop production with more armament points production and so they are not so critical.
The Ground Elements that appear to have a hard maximum number per turn are

45mm ATG M37 - 200
45mm ATG M42 - 150

Cav Sqd - 200
Cav Sqd 41 - 200
Cav Sqd 43 - 250

Motor Cycle Sqd - 37

Most of the others have a default %.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Anyway, back to your first question re armament points: The Russians start the game with

Armaments - 370
Heavy Industry - 236
Manpower - 3936
Vehicle - 150

(if you need to know any more of this just start a Human vs human game and End turn to where you want to be)
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Tollwut

Post by Tollwut »

Thanks guys for your replies. It's been a great help (albeit in a depressing sort of way, heh.)

So I surmise my plan to cripple the Red Army through quick seizure of the Donbas, Kharkov etc. won't actually work after all. Current Red Army is in pretty bad shape though. It's down to 4 million men, 35.000 artillery and 4000 tanks.

I also managed to destroy some tank, vehicle and airplane factories. Is there a way to tally how much and which industry exactly you destroyed?

Cheers. :)
"I'll show you where Iron Crosses bloom..." (Steiner)
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Tollwut

Thanks guys for your replies. It's been a great help (albeit in a depressing sort of way, heh.)

So I surmise my plan to cripple the Red Army through quick seizure of the Donbas, Kharkov etc. won't actually work after all. Current Red Army is in pretty bad shape though. It's down to 4 million men, 35.000 artillery and 4000 tanks.

I also managed to destroy some tank, vehicle and airplane factories. Is there a way to tally how much and which industry exactly you destroyed?

The plan could work but is not the easiest thing to accomplish against a good Soviet player. You literly will have to threaten multiple different areas with at risk industry to make this work. If you only have one axis of advance then your campaign will more than likely be doomed to failure.

The only current way is to keep a tally on your own of the factories/Arms/vehicles etc that you have destroyed. Even though this would be a really nice addition in WiTE 2.0.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: Tollwut

The plan could work but is not the easiest thing to accomplish against a good Soviet player. You literly will have to threaten multiple different areas with at risk industry to make this work. If you only have one axis of advance then your campaign will more than likely be doomed to failure.

The only current way is to keep a tally on your own of the factories/Arms/vehicles etc that you have destroyed. Even though this would be a really nice addition in WiTE 2.0.

There is a GREAT post by "Loki" on Soviet Industry. Do a search and you will have some invaluable information that still holds true in current patch.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

There is a GREAT post by "Loki" on Soviet Industry. Do a search and you will have some invaluable information that still holds true in current patch.

Was that from the aar? Is it this one?

tm.asp?m=3821747&mpage=3&key=
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Was that from the aar? Is it this one?

tm.asp?m=3821747&mpage=3&key=

There is another one that has the minimum requirements of HI and Arms to hold onto as a Soviet before an effect will be seen.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

There is another one that has the minimum requirements of HI and Arms to hold onto as a Soviet before an effect will be seen.

This one, although more in reaction to chaos45?

tm.asp?m=3907075&mpage=1&key=Loki%2Cindustry&#3907147
HardLuckYetAgain

This one, although more in reaction to chaos45?

tm.asp?m=3907075&mpage=1&key=Loki%2Cindustry�

This one:

tm.asp?m=3834612
HardLuckYetAgain

To be honest any post by Loki is worth reading since he is a data miner :)
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

To be honest any post by Loki is worth readying since he is a data miner :)

Anyone who does spreadsheets is dear to my heart!

Many thanks for the link!
HardLuckYetAgain

Welcome, there is another AAR where Loki and Pelton debate and come up with the firm number on what to save. That is the other part to those linked urls above. But ya Loki has some intense studies into the game. I had a hard enough time just passing 1st grade myself :(
HardLuckYetAgain

Welcome, there is another AAR where Loki and Pelton debate and come up with the firm number on what to save. That is the other part to those linked urls above. But ya Loki has some intense studies into the game. I had a hard enough time just passing 1st grade myself :(

Just hope people realize that some of the Soviet evacuation has changed even from when they wrote this. I implore people to look at the upgrade schedule on the factory to make sure that factory does or does not upgrade now for it to be saved to be on the safe side.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Just hope people realize that some of the Soviet evacuation has changed even from when they wrote this. I implore people to look at the upgrade schedule on the factory to make sure that factory does or does not upgrade now for it to be saved to be on the safe side.

I was wondering why you evacuated the SU-2's from Kharkov in our game. Are you saying they will now upgrade to something else?
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
HardLuckYetAgain

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

I was wondering why you evacuated the SU-2's from Kharkov in our game. Are you saying they will now upgrade to something else?

The SU-2 is a "pyrrhic" victory. I do it just to not let the Germans say they destroyed a factory. Take it for what it is worth ;-)
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

The SU-2 is a "pyrrhic" victory. I do it just to not let the Germans say they destroyed a factory. Take it for what it is worth ;-)

U-2 evacuated forward. Su-2 evacuated to deny a German victory. Your aircraft factory evac plan is eclectic to say the least.
HardLuckYetAgain

U-2 evacuated forward. Su-2 evacuated to deny a German victory. Your aircraft factory evac plan is eclectic to say the least.

hehehehehehe, ya.

I have been rethinking the U-2 situation lately. They may be useful after all.
HardLuckYetAgain

hehehehehehe, ya.

I have been rethinking the U-2 situation lately. They may be useful after all.

But I'm really concentrating on beta WiTE 2.0 now.

Return to “The War Room”