Double combat rolls?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Sabre21

Double combat rolls?

Post by Sabre21 »

I want to start by saying that this game has really come a long way since release. I was in on the beta at one point way back when and bought the game at release.

I talked a friend into buying the game too and the two of us tried and tried over a couple months to get things to work on netplay. Well we all know what that was like at release. Needless to say we put the game up and moved on to other things until about a month ago.

I restarted a solitaire and was happy to run thru multiple turns with only 1 bug that I reported on. So I got my friend back into it and in the last week we have managed to run thru several turns with just minor glitches, mostly to do with one or the other computer getting out of sync on netplay.

These few issues were easily resolved by restarting on an earlier phase and playing thru the follow on "troubled" phase without any more problems.

There is one issue, I'm not positive it is a bug or not, but it has occurred only twice on us during combat where he attacked and when I picked the type of attack and then rolled the dice, rather than allow me to finish that combat and move onto the next, it required me to roll the dice a second time.

In both cases a die number and combat resolution was indicated, i.e. die of 5 attacker losses 1 unit defender loses 1 unit; a second die roll was required in order to finish the combat has resulted in a different outcome. After the second die roll I was allowed to leave that screen and move on with the game.

Now is there something in the game mechanics that allow for this double die roll or might it be a glitch? It has only happened twice and I wasn't sure what might have been going on.

Other than this last whatever it was, the game seems to be running pretty well. In two 8 hour periods of playing we had 2 or 3 times on each occasion the game went out of synch but was easily rectified with a restart.

Both of us are pretty pleased with how well things are going and looking forward to many more battles to come :) (Just wish there was an AI)
paulderynck

RE: Double combat rolls?

Post by paulderynck »

The double roll is some kind of odd bug. It should not happen.
Paul
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I started a new Global war solo game today and it has happened 3 times in the first turn. There seems to be no pattern to it occurring and I can't get it to repeat itself on the same combat.
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

Have you upgraded to the open beta or are you using the original (on the CD) version?

If the latter, you can save yourself a lot of grief by going to the open beta and the patch.

Dave
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

we need more information. what version are you using ???
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I'm using 2.5.5.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

What's the mode of play? Can you post a gamesave from just before the combat resolution phase? You can find it in the autosave folder. After zipping that file, you can upload that in the forums.
Peter
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

As I mentioned above, I am playing a Global War solo game and that these double rolls are sporadic in that reloading a save doesn't always result in a double roll occurring.

These double rolls also occur in my netplay games. Had it happen twice today in 5 hours of gametime.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: Sabre21

As I mentioned above, I am playing a Global War solo game and that these double rolls are sporadic in that reloading a save doesn't always result in a double roll occurring.

These double rolls also occur in my netplay games. Had it happen twice today in 5 hours of gametime.

I don't have double rolls. To investigate this problem, we need a gamesave...
Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Are you using fractional odds and setting die rolls? Could it be the fractional resolution preceding the combat resolution that is giving this impression?
Paul
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: Centuur

I don't have double rolls. To investigate this problem, we need a gamesave...

Gamesaves on this one seem to be pointless. We have never been able to get one repeat itself if reloaded. It's all pretty random.
Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Are you using fractional odds and setting die rolls? Could it be the fractional resolution preceding the combat resolution that is giving this impression?

Yes, we always play with fractional odds ON, but as for setting die rolls..not sure what you mean about that. Can a player type in what they want for a die roll? That would be kinda lame if that was possible.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes you can set die rolls. It's under "Interface" on the main menu.
Paul
Sir Roland

Post by Sir Roland »

Yes, we always play with fractional odds ON, but as for setting die rolls..not sure what you mean about that. Can a player type in what they want for a die roll? That would be kinda lame if that was possible.

One of the great pleasures of gaming. Rolling the dice.

Being able to input your dice rolls gives you the option.
Human or AI generated rolls.
aka Warhunter
Orm

Post by Orm »

It is useful because then you can import a die roll from a online die roller.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

ORIGINAL: Sir Roland

One of the great pleasures of gaming. Rolling the dice.

Being able to input your dice rolls gives you the option.
Human or AI generated rolls.

cool¡
Epsilon Eridani

Sabre21

Post by Sabre21 »

I really hope that function is disabled in multiplayer mode.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

No, that is exactly where you need it most. Use an on-line dice roller which sends the die rolls to all players, so they can see what was rolled, and you input the rolls into MWiF. It is always possible to game a roll made on your own computer.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

There needs to be trust in a game. If you play with people you don't trust, the game won't last long.

There is usually one side (the defender) that is rolling and the results are displayed to both. Yes, it is possible that someone might have that turned on and change what was rolled.

They won't get away with that for long and will have one less person to play with.

Dave
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It's also helped us in the event of a bug or freeze during A2A combat. We could recreate the battle as long as we remembered the die rolls or at least the aborts, clears and destroyed.
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”