2x3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Telemecus

2x3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted

Post by Telemecus »

2x3+ Person Team Game [Edit: this first post is updated with rules and other changes]

Signup for a game of War in the East with a team of three or more people for each side.

(Note more information is available on discord at https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT - do feel free to join us there)

There is already one team game finished ( https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4250683 ), there have been others in the past and some others being planned in future. If you are interested in joining this team game or one of the others planned please do feel free to message me.

The idea is that both novices and more experienced players can be team members. It is not meant to be a coaching game, although if players are happy to do that that is fine. Generally though each player should have their own area of responsibility and succeed or fail by their own efforts. However it is an opportunity to see how others play from the same side and play collaboratively a side of War in the East. Some things that are easy for a single player game to do are harder for a group, and that is part of the challenge.

As a wargame it should be approached by all in the spirit of fun.

Set Up

PBEM

Campaign 1941-45 [Edit: changed from Bitter End in original post]

Latest public beta version and update at least when steam does
-some flexibility though when you update from V1.11.00 to v1.11.01 [Edit: added by suggestion from thread for both sides with no objections]
-do not upgrade to v1.12 but remain on v1.11.03 while it is official [Edit: agreed rule change while v1.12 stabilises]
[Edit: agreed rule change we will go back to using whatever is steam beta 12 April 2020]

Game options, unless there is a consensus otherwise among those who join, will be
-fog of war not movement
-random weather
-+1 Soviet bonus [Edit: changed from no bonus in original post]
-mild blizzard [Edit: changed from full blizzard in original post]
-better cv maths [Edit added since original post]

House rules
-no suicide mission para drops or naval invasions (e.g. sacrificed to displace airbases or rail repair), such missions should be realistic with a plan to keep them in supply and with relief forces to join them.
-Axis Supreme Commander will not perform any combat missions (e.g. air missions) [Edit added since original post to reflect perceived experience imbalance, if there is no imbalance this needs to be revisited]
If there is a consensus for other house rules these can be added, but it is best kept to a minimum

Team and Roles

Each team should include
- 1 Supreme Commander: decides the allocations to each of the other commanders (e.g. units, points, rail cap, manpower, leaders etc.) and their responsibilities (e.g. boundary maps, objectives). This can include protocols on how different players can use the same units during the same turn (e.g. air groups, SUs), strategy many turns ahead etc. The supreme commander could also undertake strategic aspects of warfare (air missions, industry etc.) but the Axis Supreme Commander [Edit: agreed rule change from both] should not be another ground commander. Anything relevant to only the responsibilities of one commander should be left to that commander. As well as aiming to win the game, the Supreme commander is also responsible for ensuring all their team players have the substantial game they expect.
- North, Centre/West, South and (optionally) other ground commanders: they cannot also be the Supreme Commander and are responsible for "pushing the units" for all ground forces in contact with the enemy as well as any other roles the team decides. Soviet supreme commander can also "push the units" [Edit: agreed rule change]
- Others (optionally): if the team agrees and other roles can be found. Suggestions have included air commanders, deputy ground commanders and even ministers of production and propaganda!
-The above rules on team names and roles has been scrapped for 1942 onward and each team can agree its own team names and roles [Edit: agreed rule change]

Each team must have
-1 Team Manager (who can also have one of the roles above and does not have to be the Supreme Commander): makes sure that the save file is with somebody to take their go, that there is no ambiguity whose go it is, and it is not left idle during their sides turn. When a player cannot take their go and there is no way to swap the sequence round for someone else to take their go, the team manager should arrange for someone to cover that players go for that turn. Their aim is for that team's turn to be finished as quickly as possible. They should also recruit replacements when a vacancy occurs. [My experience of the other team game is this is a substantial side job - even hardcore wargamers have real lives and getting multiple calendars coordinated is not easy. And getting a replacement for a vacancy entails more than posting once in the forums that there is a vacancy. Having someone responsible for this helps!]

Teams that opt for further ground commanders or other roles should take care to not unduly increase the length of the game as a result.

To start the game each team must have at least a different person as Supreme, North and South commander (Centre/West can be allocated between North and South).

If the team does not at least have a different person as Supreme, North, Centre/West and South commander they must post they are looking to fill this vacancy and be open for another joining the team to fill these roles.

When teams have no vacancies and extra roles are not possible for those expressing an interest they will be added to the reserves list and invited to join when the next vacancy occurs.

A player vacates their place in the game when they say so, or if they have been incommunicado since their last turn and are not available to take their turn when it comes again.

Anyone who has played on one side cannot later play on the other side (they will know the other team's password and plans).

Sequence of Play

Play consists of each commander taking their go and uploading their save files at the end of their go to dropbox for the next commander in this sequence
1. Supreme Commander receives end of turn file from opposing team and takes their go at the start
2. Other team commanders take their go in an agreed sequence, if necessary altered by the team manager to make sure there are no idle periods
3. After all other commanders on a team have finished the Supreme Commander takes a further go at the end
4. The end turn button is pressed for the end of turn save and the result is uploaded to dropbox for the other side to take their turn

All players should be members of and upload their end of go saves to a single game dropbox and use a common file name schema (e.g. "2x3+010-Axis.02 North Finished" where 2x3+ is the name of the game, 10-Axis would be the turn number-side, 2 the go for that side during the turn and the last part their description of the go). Players of the other team will be able to see the progress but not open the files without the password.

Time: Commitment and Pace

Experience from the other team game is that when teams are doing OK each side takes a week to do a turn. The fastest has been two days, the longest many weeks. Turns get quicker when there are no team changes, and are likely to be quicker during less intense mud turns say. However even with quick players the multiple handovers do make the game slower. Players will have to accept this, but should endeavour to not unnecessarily lengthen the game and take responsibility not to leave it idle while others wait.

Realistically this means at the start you are only likely to have the save file to take your go for an evening or two every two weeks. You can spend as much or as little time as you like outside of this to think about and plan your go, write AARs, strategise with team members, trashtalk the other side or engage in any other type of role play. But if your only interest is "pushing the units" and you are frustrated by this pace you should not consider this as your main or only game. On the other hand if you are not able to commit to a full on solo game against someone else this could be ideal.

Also this pace, even if it accelerates, means the end of the game will be a long way off. This means it is more suited to someone interested in the tactical play turn by turn, the team colloboration, or even the results by the end of each campaigning season. It may not suit someone whose main interest is in seeing a win or lose screen at the end of 200+ turns. On the other hand it does mean you are not individually obliged to stay with the game until the end. You can just play to the end of a campaigning season or even just a couple of turns to cover between one player leaving and another joining. All that is asked is that you are upfront about your commitment to your team mates and give as much notice of leaving as possible to allow a replacement to be found.

Communications

Players must be contacted by email if they are expected to read the messages [Edit: soviet team request for all] An updated email list of all in the game will be provided to all in the game. Additionally there are discord channels available for communication between and within the teams - others not playing in the game may observe. The link to join the wargamers discord on which the game channels are hosted is https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT and all lurkers are welcome to join as well.

Teams may agree to write an official AAR. The publicity from AARs can help to recruit new players to replace those leaving the game.

Future changes

Once the game has started rules can be amended or added to when there is no objection by any of the current players of the game. Rule changes must be posted in this thread so that future joiners of the game can know them.

How to join or express interest

Feel free to contact the current team managers Telemecus and Beria. If you suggest a role other than the four defined above (Supreme, North, Centre/West, South), or even have no role, you may want to describe how it would work and why it would be good - but may have to accept the team may not be able to accomodate it.
If you are unsure or still considering it do feel free to post so here or PM me.
Feel free also to ask any questions.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Telemecus

RE: 2by3+ Teams Axis&Soviet Wanted

Post by Telemecus »

Signed up so far

As agreed by a rule change - the updated palyers list is now kept away from these forums
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

I reiterate my interest in joining on the Soviet side as Ground Commander. [:)]
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

I would be interested in Axis Center or South
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

I would absolutely to join in with this please!

I would love to play the Soviet north if possible but I would be happy to fill any role needed that isn't a superme commander

Thanks alot!
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits

I would absolutely to join in with this please!

I would love to play the Soviet north if possible but I would be happy to fill any role needed that isn't a superme commander

Thanks alot!

If you want to take defending the Northern part of the Motherland, I will gladly recommend to Comrade Stalin that I take the South. If we have a third ground commander in, we will reorganize so that you have the Northern sector.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Welcome all!

It looks like we could do with some interests for Supreme Commander. We do have enough ground commanders to start if someone who has signed up for Soviet is happy to do an Axis role. It is possible too we could get another interest in an Axis ground commander and the Soviet team have four ground commanders to start? I think when we have Supreme Commanders in place teams can decide if they might like to start with an oversize team - although it can mean a much longer turn.

We will need to wait for at least a Supreme Commander interest still.
Socket

Post by Socket »

i am interested in commanding of South-west front, Lvov, Kiev zone etc, my friend wants to take South front.
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Thanks for the warm welcome Telemecus!

I am happy to play either side as any ground command role as I really don't mind however I am not very experienced in multiplayer that is why I asked for the N theatre for Soviets as a preference

Aslong as my teamates are happy with me being there I am absolutely happy to be put anywhere at all that is not supreme command :)
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

I want in !!

Preferable in German camp. Either North or Center. ( The reason is that I am not very good in the South ) But with Center, I reached Moscow by September on a single player grand campaign ( +1 soviet bonus attack ) ( But I got crushed in the winter of 41, mainly because I had made it to Odessa by september in the south -_- )

I would accept any position in any side as well.

I only got about 50 hours of game time total so Im still learning. 2 multiplayer game to my name, and various scenarios. I am also in the middle of a grand campaign single player.

( I wanted to write this quick,. now Im going to go read everything that was written on the post )

I could do supreme commander as well, if no one offers, Its just that I only got 50 hours in the game so Im not sure how well I could manage. ( I think I would do a great Supreme Commander in the Axis camp, to the exception of a few things that I am not too familiar with the game (such as industies ) I mean I am tempted, but I feel I would fail on a few points.

Basically I think I would excell for " boundary maps, objectives... strategy many turns ahead..." but as for industrie, allocation , air groups, etc, I think I would be lost just a little. )
thedoctorking

Post by thedoctorking »

I'm new too but if you guys are looking for another player, I'd be happy to give it a try. I'd take a Soviet front by preference since I'm probably better at defending, at least to start with.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Just been catching up and updating the second post in this thread to what I understand the preferences to be. I think we do have more than enough ground commanders, and even should be able to accommodate first preferences.

I had a PM telling me that someone would like to be STAVKA Supremo - but I do not know who. I replied but if I missed who it was tell me!

We have one interest for Supreme commander
ORIGINAL: Neogodhobo
I could do supreme commander as well, if no one offers, Its just that I only got 50 hours in the game ...( I think I would do a great Supreme Commander in the Axis camp, to the exception of a few things that I am not too familiar with the game (such as industies ) I mean I am tempted, but I feel I would fail on a few points.

Basically I think I would excell for " boundary maps, objectives... strategy many turns ahead..." but as for industrie, allocation , air groups, etc, I think I would be lost just a little. )

I get the sense that Neogodhobo would rather take a ground position but is being very great and volunteering if no one wants the Supreme job. If so it could be worth waiting to get someone who really wants the job. I am going to open an AAR thread for both sides- it can be for our trash talk or joint AAR during the game. But I will post we are still looking for Supreme Commanders there as there are those who might really want to but do not look in the opponents wanted threads.

That said my take on doing the Supreme job from the other game.

Firstly the Supreme Commander does not mean you are the best player, indeed I think in the other game the ground commanders are better than me! So just as Soviet games rarely put Zhukov, the best guy, into STAVKA, so the best players probably should be your ground commanders.

It is quite possible to distribute many roles to others. So you could have another commander (one of the ground commanders or someone else) as an air commander, someone in charge of tracking or evacuating industry etc. However the core job you cannot really avoid is the allocations, who gets which units, how many points go to who etc. And it means you are going to disappoint your team members as naturally they want as much as possible. So it helps if you have the good humour to deal with your team mates. And only in the sense of leaving your team mates with the confidence that you made a good decision even if they are disappointed does having experience matter.

That said I would take someone up for the fight, willing to learn and adapt over someone very experienced in the wrong lessons any day! So if Neogodhobo is sure then we should go for it and it will be just as much a responsibility on team mates to help!

What are your thoughts?
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

I will happily take my orders from anyone who has a position higher than myself whoever that may be as I would like to keep my head!
Having Stavka being a tad inexperienced or inept somehow just feels right to me :P
Psych0

Post by Psych0 »

I'd be interested to play an AG Commander on the Axis side preferred. No experience whatsoever with Soviet side but this might be a good way to get into that, so Soviet Front/Sector Commander also fine.
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

We are too reaching many Soviet players, now...

I call first dib. [:)]
Neogodhobo

Post by Neogodhobo »

It is quite possible to distribute many roles to others. So you could have another commander (one of the ground commanders or someone else) as an air commander, someone in charge of tracking or evacuating industry etc. However the core job you cannot really avoid is the allocations, who gets which units, how many points go to who etc. And it means you are going to disappoint your team members as naturally they want as much as possible. So it helps if you have the good humour to deal with your team mates. And only in the sense of leaving your team mates with the confidence that you made a good decision even if they are disappointed does having experience matter.

That said I would take someone up for the fight, willing to learn and adapt over someone very experienced in the wrong lessons any day! So if Neogodhobo is sure then we should go for it and it will be just as much a responsibility on team mates to help!

What are your thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just explain to me, what do you mean by how many points ? OOH I just understood, you mean, admin points.... I see... Yeah I can definitly distribute units, allocate how many admin points each group, plan strategies, organize meetings, and so on.

I have under my belt over 20 years of self study/ readings on the Eastern Front. As Im sure, a lot of us have, obviously, we are all playing the same game haha. But I mean, Im not unfamiliar with ww2 strategies. Although seeing as the Germans failed, I might opt for something new. Who knows, I shall talk about it to my Field Marshals in due time.

Seeing it that way, I would be excited to play the Supreme Commander and you are right, it makes way more sense to have experienced leaders to be on the field.

I feel ready to roleplay that [:D]

Just one thing, I finish working on the 28th september ( work alone in the woods for 6 months straight, and then 6 months free :P ) but I work 4,000km away from home so, from the 28th September to the 4 or 5th October, I wont be available. Then, my wife is going to take vacation for a week a bit after I come back, so I might be just a little absent, seeing as I didnt see her for 6 months. But I shall still make a bit of time when she sleeps to do my job here. Other than that Il be avaiable every day basically.

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Just catching up. We do have more than enough ground commanders - so there will be a reserve list but plenty of opportunities with vacancies in two team games. There could even be another. I will up date the second post tonight or tomorrow.

Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

We can wait for a firm interest in the Supreme job or start? What are your thoughts?

Neogodhobo you sound like you are up for it - your preference if Supreme Commander would be which side?
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Sounds ok to start. You are taking one of the Supreme Commander jobs right?
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

IMHO Soviets should not play the Bitter end campaign & ask for +1 Soviet attack Bonus & mild Blizzard & random weather. The current state of the game in current patches really dictate those 4 things at a minimum. If the German team has more experienced people playing then the mild blizzard needs to be changed to full blizzard.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004

Return to “Opponents Wanted”