Sooo, no games about Alexander's Successors?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

76mm

Sooo, no games about Alexander's Successors?

Post by 76mm »

Just finished reading another book about the wars of the successors of Alexander the Great. What an awesome subject for a game, if done right! Unforntunately, while I think there is an HPS or JTS game covering some of the battles, I'm not aware of any strategic level game covering this era--have I missed one? I don't follow board games, maybe there is one of those?

Ideally, it would probably need to be some hybrid of Crusader Kings and Total War, with a more realistic tactical model thrown in...not holding my breath.

Looking forward to FoG 2.0 coming out later this year for the tactical level, but it would be great to have something to game at the strategic level as well.
JWW

RE: Sooo, no games about Alexander's Successors?

Post by JWW »

76mm

Post by 76mm »

@JW, thanks, that looks interesting, although not much chance I'll have a place to set up a board game and find three other players any time soon :-(
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I recommend you Hoplites...

Attachments
diad2.jpg
diad2.jpg (185.31 KiB) Viewed 247 times
diad1.jpg
diad1.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 247 times
WingedIncubus

Post by WingedIncubus »

I must admit the Diadochi era is grossly underepresented in computer gaming. There is so much fun potential for a Campaign-type of game - dynasties, puppeteering, intrigue, treachery, double-crossing and double-doublecrossing, and Alexander's body as seal of legitimacy.
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Successor Wars

Well - most folks will dismiss this out of hand based on Hexwar's pedigree.

But - occasionally - like with Command and Colors : The Great War, they do things well.

I don't personally have this one but do have the Alexander and Rome games.

They are ok - but have flaws like lack of unit facing etc ....

For certain battles it can work decently .. for others not so much.

Soon they will release Command and Colors : Ancients in partnership with The Lordz studio .... that may also have some

Successor battles ....
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Drakken

I must admit the Diadochi era is grossly underepresented in computer gaming. There is so much fun potential for a Campaign-type of game - dynasties, puppeteering, intrigue, treachery, double-crossing and double-doublecrossing, and Alexander's body as seal of legitimacy.
A problem is the relative lack of historical info on the period. Much less is known about some of the Diadochi wars and battles than earlier Greek and later Roman wars.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
A problem is the relative lack of historical info on the period. Much less is known about some of the Diadochi wars and battles than earlier Greek and later Roman wars.

Dunno, I think that is more of an opportunity--surely they have enough info for a game, but the lack of detailed historical info means that there will be much less for grogs to complain about!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Drakken
Plus elephants, man, lots and lots of elephants! [:D]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

rico, whose game is that? Google was overwhelemed with "hoplites" results and I couldn't find it...
rico21

Post by rico21 »

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I can recommend Hoplites; it's a very good game. Take Spartacus and try to conquer all. Lot's of fun.[:)]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

I see that we had the same idea [&o] [:D]
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

HPS has a game called 'Diadochoi Wars'.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Is that new? I've never seen that title.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

No, its a few years old.

It is part of their Ancient series Alexander's wars, Punic Wars, and Greek Wars.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

No, its a few years old.

It is part of their Ancient series Alexander's wars, Punic Wars, and Greek Wars.

Funny that I missed it because I have the other ancients games they have produced.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yeah, that's the one I mentioned in my original post. I generally don't buy games from HPS any more and will wait for FoG 2.0 for my tactical fix.

But moreover, the real excitement from this period is less from the tactical level but the extremely dynamic strategic/diplomatic situation, which see-sawed dramatically over the decades. In my view it would be an extremely difficult game to do well.
YeeHaa

Post by YeeHaa »

I couldnt agree more. The chances of you reading this 16 years later is about "zero" I may restart an up to date thread on this subject. Can you believe 16 years later there has still not been a decent Diadochi game on PC??? The only even half decent game I remember on PC was a CIV "Call to Power scenario" But they did it well with the generals getting Legitimacy points for controlling the various heirs and regalia and other stuff like that including Alexanders body. I have designed a set of rules for just such a scenario myself. I also do not understand while we are on this subject why we have no decent Peloponnesian War games either. Both would be so perfect for deep strategy level games. The politics of both with so many sides chopping and changing alliances and the constant battles and economic considerations. Both at sea and on land the action would be non stop. There is a game called Successors by GMT Games and it looks really promising. Sadly, nobody has migrated it to Hex Wars or Vassal as yet. The main reason I answered your rather old comment is that Fields of Glory 2 now has a strategic game. Doesn't it sound great? It is called Fields of Glory Empires. It appears similar To Imperator Rome and covers the perfect area. Western Europe and the Med as well as east to India. but when you enter battle on the strategic map you can load the battle into the Tactical game of Fields of Glory II with the correct OOB if you choose and of course if you own both. So a mix of FoG II and FoG Empires would be appear to be the best option available still... 16 years later. Sadly the game begins a couple of years after Alexanders death!!! I would love to know whose reasoning led to that little gem of a decision. However the Diadochi are at the pre-Triparadeisus period so Kraterus and Eumenes as well as Antigonus his very young son Demetrius and Antipater is in Macedon. They are all established as is Ptolemy in Egypt. I am kinda hoping this is because they intend to release a really extensive Alexander and then Successors campaigns as DLC... we shall se if not it is the greatest waste of the decade from an Ancient wargaming position. All the necessary framework is there to do a superb Alexander and follow up Diadochi campaigns I just pray they will come and they will use a little imagination. Fingers crossed. Anycase sending you Hoplite waves across the years...
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Check the DLCs and see what they contribute.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

Return to “General Discussion”