Trying to interpret airplane stats...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Der Kuenstler

Trying to interpret airplane stats...

Post by Der Kuenstler »

So the manual says 'All aircraft and AFV/Combat vehicles have a reliability rating which ranges from “really good” (lower numbers) to “really bad” (higher numbers).' This doesn't make logical sense to me but I can adjust. It seems like the higher the number the higher the reliability rating should be. Do all the other ratings work that way too? Like Durability, Maneuver, and Armor? The higher number is worse than the smaller number? It appears opposite - like the Sturmovik has "2" armor and the Bf 109 has "1" armor. Which is really confusing!
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Joel Billings

RE: Trying to interpret airplane stats...

Post by Joel Billings »

No, most numbers higher is better. Reliability happens to be set up in a way that high is bad (think unreliable).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

OK thanks!
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

Caught me when I started[;)]. The other thing you should probably be aware of (if comparing with RL, not in game) is Maneuver is not just 'how well the plane turns'... it is more 'how agile/useful is the plane in combat'. People read up about the aircraft in game and then look at the stats and wonder. A classic is the Spitfires. I forget the specifics, but later Spitfires turned less well than earlier ones (they were heavier with the same wing, so higher wing loading), yet maneuver goes up with later marks... this is because the power goes up and the aircraft is generally 'better' at combat - more options, better sustained turn, better zoom/dive etc.

As I say, you don't need this to play the game - higher is better (except for reliability [8|] )
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Ah...OK thanks - maybe in a future patch that stat should say "breakdowns" or "malfunctions" - then everything would match. One less thing to remember!

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”