Good games for Windows tablets

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

This has been discussed before, but let's start from clean plate. I ask you to first mention game title, then your experiences with it on the tablet. Also some details about your tablet please.

Asus Transformer Book T100TAM
Windows 8.1
Atom 1,46 GHZ
10" 1366x768
Attachable/detachable keyboard with touchpad

Panzer Corps
I have played this only a bit, but it works well enough. First touch on a screen moves mouse cursor onto location, second touch is a 'click'. So we can see expected result of an attack before attacking.

MegaMek
Game works well most of the time. Minimap works well for scrolling the map around. But care must be taken when plotting movement path: it is frustratingly easy to make missteps. Hot seat works within game's limits: 2 instances of the game (start the game twice) are required to run for 2-player game. Then it is just handing the tablet over across the table to next player. Much of the typing, if necessary, can be done with with Windows' virtual (touchscreen) keyboard, and its backspace key can be used to reduce movement path. I would love to have Esc key on it for complete clearance though. I can recommend this game (on touchscreen tablet) for small scale (up to 4v4 units) scenarios.

Battle for Wesnoth
On last Christmas I used tablet to show this game to my little sister. Touchscreen works mostly fine for the game, and I don't recall having any significant problems with it. Can't have right-click menu though, but game's UI has menu button with equivalent commands behind of it. I can highly recommended this game for touchscreen tablet.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
MrsWargamer

RE: Good games for Windows tablets

Post by MrsWargamer »

Sticking to just war games.

I will give a nod in favour of Joni Nuutinen (likely spelled wrong), and his titles.

Small General is something we all should have. Perfect for when you need to kill under 30 minutes and want it to be playing a simple war game.

The only downside of Tiller's games, is they're his usual interfaces, and on a tablet, well it's a small screen eh.

Hexwar's Russian Front was good enough I grabbed it.

But in the end, I eventually calmed down once the thrill of tablets faded. The tablet is a small screen option and yer eyes might just like it the way a 20something might.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Small General is something we all should have. Perfect for when you need to kill under 30 minutes and want it to be playing a simple war game.
Is it available for Windows? Or are there ways to get it to run on Windows?

Let's keep iOS and Android games out of this thread. Those are optimized for small touchscreens anyway. Instead I want to know what Windows PC games work well on tablets & touchscreens.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Well you didn't specify Windows environment :)

I have an HP slate that runs Panzer Corps and Battle Academy well enough. Running Windows 8.1

I can't imagine needing better games than those two. A good tactical and a good operational.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

Anyone has window surface pro 3 or 4, I am thinking to get one, how is it performing with Matrix games, lets say Pike & Shot.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

Anyone has window surface pro 3 or 4, I am thinking to get one, how is it performing with Matrix games, lets say Pike & Shot.
You should have no problems with performance.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=77895
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

You should have no problems with performance.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=77895

Thanks VPaulus, what about the sensitivity and accuracy of the touch.
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Well, the hardware is good, the screen is good quality... sensitivity and accuracy seems to be OK. My issue is with the OS... Windows is a not pure touch system.
I've heard that it can be better if you use a pen. I bought one, but I don't use it a lot.
For me, desktops (not laptops), are the only decent way to play a game. I'm old fashioned , I guess.

I use it more as a working tool and also to check the web when I'm outdoors or in the couch.
When I come to our Epsom office, I always carry it with me, and it works exactly like a laptop and bring all the stuff I need to work.
It's a powerful and a good working system.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

Well you didn't specify Windows environment :)
Yes I did. You just overlooked it. I type it again with highlights:

MekWars
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
Yes I did. You just overlooked it. I type it again with highlights:
[8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
cleverbroadway

Post by cleverbroadway »

Hi, anyone using Macbook here? Can you recommend any interesting game on iOS?
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: cleverbroadway

Hi, anyone using Macbook here? Can you recommend any interesting game on iOS?
Here you go

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”