Why do my subs often go to "retirement allowed"automatically?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Timotheus

Why do my subs often go to "retirement allowed"automatically?

Post by Timotheus »

I set them on high threat tolerance, they have 100% torpedoes, fuel to last a war, and are set on "NO RETIREMENT"..... and every turn they choose the "retirement allowed" on their own.

Can I do the NKVD thing and start shooting some commanders?

This.... is aggrevating.

Should I set them to ABSOLUTE threat tolerance?
What can I do to make them STAY where I want them?
NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl
John B.

RE: Why do my subs often go to "retirement allowed"automatically?

Post by John B. »

Do you have them set for a patrol zone or just giving them a destination hex?
John Barr
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Did you choose "auto sub ops" (or whatever the wording is) when you started the game?
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I just plop them on a hex, no patrol.
No auto sub ops, everything is manual.

edit: of course, they have 0 damage.
I put them on ABSOLUTE threat tolerance, crossing fingers I won't have firing squads in this war.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

I just plop them on a hex, no patrol.
No auto sub ops, everything is manual.

edit: of course, they have 0 damage.
I put them on ABSOLUTE threat tolerance, crossing fingers I won't have firing squads in this war.

If you have them set for manual, you still must set their "loiter" or patrol dates. Otherwise they will come home on day one..

btd64

Post by btd64 »

What you want to do is set the subs on a patrol mission with boundaries. Same way you would set a surface group to patrol an area....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

What you want to do is set the subs on a patrol mission with boundaries. Same way you would set a surface group to patrol an area....GP
+1

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Yes, and if the sub runs out of torps or low on fuel it will return to base rearm and then return to its assigned patrol zone without you having to do anything.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
LST Express

Post by LST Express »

Been playing this game for years and didn't realize they would do that!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

"What you want to do is set the subs on a patrol mission with boundaries. Same way you would set a surface group to patrol an area....GP "

Actually I do not patrol, I want them in a certain hex.
That way they do not use fuel... or much fuel.... and can stay at sea for far longer.

Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

When you are giving your subs orders, click on "TF routing", then got to "select a patrol zone." Assign 1, 2, or 3 hexes as the boundaries for the patrol zone. The submarine will then move from one hex to another until it is low on fuel or torpedoes or has sustained high damage. At this point, it will automatically return to base. Once it returns to base and replenishes, if it does not have much damage, it will automatically return to this patrol zone.

In general, you should use patrol zone for any TF that you want to seek out and engage the enemy, whether it is submarines, an anti-sub TF, or a surface combat TF. For example, if you want a SCTF to cover an invasion hex, it is best to set it to patrol that hex rather than simply assign the SCTF that hex as a destination.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

"What you want to do is set the subs on a patrol mission with boundaries. Same way you would set a surface group to patrol an area....GP "

That way they do not use fuel... or much fuel.... and can stay at sea for far longer.

You can do it the same way by picking one location to patrol in. Keep in mind that it becomes easier to spot and attack your subs when they are in the same hex for long periods....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

Then give them a patrol zone of only 1 hex. Your chances of engaging the enemy are greatly reduced, however. Also, moving reduces detection level. If the submarine is detected stationary, it will be more difficult to lose detection level. A submarine that is detected is rarely able to attack.

In December 1941, your submarines, especially the Dutch subs, are your most effective weapon. Use them to the best of their capabilities. Do not worry about fuel. Submarines do not use a large amount of fuel. Now all those BBs at Pearl... that is a different matter.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Aurorus

Then give them a patrol zone of only 1 hex. Your chances of engaging the enemy are greatly reduced, however. Also, moving reduces detection level. If the submarine is detected stationary, it will be more difficult to lose detection level. A submarine that is detected is rarely able to attack.

In December 1941, your submarines, especially the Dutch subs, are your most effective weapon. Use them to the best of their capabilities. Do not worry about fuel. Submarines do not use a large amount of fuel. Now all those BBs at Pearl... that is a different matter.

Those "one hex" zones can be useful especially around Formosa, Manila, and near major ports because those subs are also "spotting units" and will also rescue downed friendly pilots...

Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I see, I can linger a bit....

Still wish they would not retreat on their own for no reason!

Thanks for all the help.

edit: ahhh, then just set the patrol zone to 1 hex...

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

They will use the same fuel as if they were patrolling within that hex for a day. All ships, assuming there is no bug (and you are using the updated .exe, as this should have been part of the latest official patch I think), will burn 40 endurance if they remain in a hex each day as they are assumed to be steaming about within that hex, not sitting still.

Doesn't matter whether you are setting them to that destination or not.

Also, this is anecdotal, but setting them to remain on station at the destination hex may not get you as many attacks as if they were patrolling. Patrolling TFs have their own unique set of movement conditions, including reaction, that should lead to more contact with the enemy.

In short, you should set your subs to patrol. By not doing so you are not really using them correctly. The only use I can see for subs set to remain on station is if you DON'T want them to attack and just want them there to provide intel on aerial search patterns or something.
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Those "one hex" zones can be useful especially around Formosa, Manila, and near major ports because those subs are also "spotting units" and will also rescue downed friendly pilots...

Near enemy ports is the last place that you want your subs stationary, because they will probably be in aerial search patterns, which will raise their detection level each time a search plane passes over them. A TF losses 1 Detection level per impulse. So, overnight, a sub will lose 2 DL by the next dawn: one for the night impulse and one for the AM impulse. Each hex moved will also reduce DL by 1. If a sub is stationary near a port, it will probably accumulate more than 2 DL during the daylight hours. Therefore, it will always be detected, rarely attack, and be an easy target for ASW TFs.

To give you an example, in my current game, an allied submarine near Truk took a critical hit on its fuel tanks. It lost all of its endurance almost immediately. It sat there stationary for 7 days, and was attacked by air and by ASW TFs almost every day. It was hit twice by search pilots with rank 20 ASW. The point: do not sit stationary by enemy bases.
Will_L

Post by Will_L »

I see, I can linger a bit....

Still wish they would not retreat on their own for no reason!

Thanks for all the help.

edit: ahhh, then just set the patrol zone to 1 hex...

Also set their reaction range to 1 (the max for subs) so they may attack spotted TF's that pass through adjacent
hexes. They'll return to the patrol hex you have set for them.
was Will_L for a while.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

When you are giving your subs orders, click on "TF routing", then got to "select a patrol zone." Assign 1, 2, or 3 hexes as the boundaries for the patrol zone. The submarine will then move from one hex to another until it is low on fuel or torpedoes or has sustained high damage. At this point, it will automatically return to base. Once it returns to base and replenishes, if it does not have much damage, it will automatically return to this patrol zone.

In general, you should use patrol zone for any TF that you want to seek out and engage the enemy, whether it is submarines, an anti-sub TF, or a surface combat TF. For example, if you want a SCTF to cover an invasion hex, it is best to set it to patrol that hex rather than simply assign the SCTF that hex as a destination.

Thanks for your wise words. I have played Pac Wars, UV, WITP and AE and never got the hang of it managing subs. Now I know how to use them. [&o][&o][:)]
Banner designed by rogueusmc
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: LST Express

Been playing this game for years and didn't realize they would do that!

Well they will but it's not necessarily a good thing as they'll return without getting any damage repaired.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”