Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

IainMcNeil

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Post by IainMcNeil »

Job Description
We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine’s Archon engine and you’ll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Remote working possible. US time zone an advantage, though an alternative is to be located in Epsom office in UK.

Salary
Negotiable on application.

Responsibilities
Supporting 2by3 to develop Steel Tigers using the Archon engine.
Engine development.
Tools and pipeline support and development.

Required Skills
Strong C/C++.
Excellent problem solving.
Passion for wargames.
Able to work well with external teams.

Useful Additional Skills
HLSL shader programming.
Tools development.

Applications Process
The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

If you are interested in this roll please contact career@slitherine.co.uk with your CV and covering letter.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Josh

RE: Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Post by Josh »

Oh wow. Not qualified myself, but looking at that job description... you'll be working with legends and creating a new legend at the same time. And you're getting paid for it too.
Man we've been waiting hmmm twenty years now for a sequel?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Maybe you know someone who is! Please feel free to pass on and share :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

Is it true that Matrix Games does not have the source code for the SPWAW game anymore? And if it's not would there be any chance at you taking a look at the old code and fixing the unresponsive artillery screen? Maybe you could find something useful for the new game too in the process.

From what I have read SPWAW was compiled with Watcom C/C++ that is now also available for free as Open Watcom C/C++. In addition if a DOS enviroment is needed a PC emulator could be used.

In any case I hope you will find your programmer and can finish the new game.
sami heimola

Post by sami heimola »

Btw, is this new SP meant to be commercial or just free game (like SPWAW)?
omegaall

Post by omegaall »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Job Description
We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine’s Archon engine and you’ll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Remote working possible. US time zone an advantage, though an alternative is to be located in Epsom office in UK.

For some reason I don't think being 13 hours and 30 minutes or 16 hours and 30 minutes ahead of US time zones will help with respect to being remote. Bummer!

Salary

I am not expensive to run.

Responsibilities
Engine development.

Required Skills
Strong C/C++.
Passion for wargames.

No problem on this one.

Useful Additional Skills
HLSL shader programming.
Tools development.

I have built a few tools for SPWAW as well as a couple of other games,e.g. ATF series, HLSL not strong there at all.

Applications Process

If you are interested in this roll please contact career@slitherine.co.uk with your CV and covering letter.

[color=#0000CC]All interesting, but time zone alone is a huge issue.[/color]
Kurt Knispel

Post by Kurt Knispel »

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Btw, is this new SP meant to be commercial or just free game (like SPWAW)?

SP has always been a game well worth paying for. We shell out hard-earned dough for much less worthy games.
"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden...."
Kurt Knispel

Post by Kurt Knispel »

And where do I sign up for Beta-testing....lol?
"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden...."
TerribleIvan

Post by TerribleIvan »

Hello Iain and fellow SPWAW fans,

Are there any updates to this thread and the development of Steel Tigers? Have you been able to hire the coders you need?

Naturally, I'd be very happy to pay for this game once it's out. Thanks for any information!

"Ivan the Terrible Wargamer"
operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: omegaall

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Job Description

For some reason I don't think being 13 hours and 30 minutes or 16 hours and 30 minutes ahead of US time zones will help with respect to being remote. Bummer!

Salary

I am not expensive to run.

Responsibilities
Engine development.

Required Skills
Strong C/C++.
Passion for wargames.

No problem on this one.

Useful Additional Skills
HLSL shader programming.
Tools development.

I have built a few tools for SPWAW as well as a couple of other games,e.g. ATF series, HLSL not strong there at all.

Applications Process

[color=#0000CC]All interesting, but time zone alone is a huge issue.[/color]
If I am not mistaken: GG and Joel Billings live in the US..

Where Matrix/Slitherine is willing to spend money on a much sought after product, I'd be willing to spend money to buy it.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Alby

Post by Alby »

where's Mike Wood?
[;)]

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Very much looking forward to a fresh remake of this near timeless classic!

I still associate myself with many of the other Steel Panther crew on other forums and this game was the one which brought us all together under the Matrixgames banner.

Sure hope Matrix takes that into consideration when wondering what they might do to garner a "quick turn-around" from development to profit.[:D]

bladesinger79

Post by bladesinger79 »

I can be a playtester. The only C++ I know about are my high school grades. [;)]

Always wanted to be a playtester just to have my name on the list of credits. I'm affordable (meaning free of charge) and skilled at writing (freelance journalist). I can provide credentials upon request.
"No Sir, I don't think that's a good idea at all." -last words from unnamed NCO before falling into an enemy ambush.
mainsworthy

Post by mainsworthy »

I would like a decent project to fill my time ,payment would not be my motivation rather love of this game, I have programmed professionally many years ago, which is probably an advantage with this game, and I have a list of some of my projects here https://iibbrr.itch.io/ so you can see I can do projects to the end and real software examples is better than just saying I can do it. Only IF your project has been mothballed would I be interested as I have my own methods and I am boss of my projects etc... If you are already underway good luck with it.

If you want to discus what I need to start work and what I intend to produce let me know?

Im no longer available but it was a nice idea.
https://hiphopy.itch.io/

check when you can, I put diff stuff on now and then
ArmyEsq

Post by ArmyEsq »

Hire mainsworthy and lets get this show on the road already.

Mainsworthy: multi level buildings, please. And maybe less shots per turn for units.

[:)]
briantmar

Post by briantmar »

Has anything happened in this space with the new Steel Panthers?

Brian
RLWbb

Re: Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Post by RLWbb »

One feature I might suggest that is added to Steel Panthers is something akin to a sequence diagram in UML.

each unit would be at the head of a column and then each event that units is a party to would be below it with an arrow denoting the actor and the thing acted upon.

e.g. see my crude attempt at drawing how this might look

Turn__Event #_US_______________German______Range__Notes
01___ 001____INF1___INF2_______INF1___MTR2_________
01____ 002______Fires ------------------------------>>1 KIA_____5______
01_____003_____NE<<-----------------------Fire@_____________7

etc....

This shows that on turn 1 US infantry squad 1 shoots at German mortar 1 at range 5 and inflicts 1KIA
next German Infantry squad 1 shoots at US infantry squad 1 at range 7 and has no effect
and etc

If I could color code this it would even be better.

So this is something like what a sequence diagram of game events might look like.
All of the game events or sorted by the units involved vs just one long list of events.

I have never seen this feature in a war game so it might be a first for anyone that adds this to their game. That said it seems pretty easy to do.
CraigJohnson

Post by CraigJohnson »

So Steel Tigers, the sequel for Steel Panthers is on hold? Development started 5+ years ago by 2by3?

I played that game a lot, and really enjoyed it until one of the updates just didn't make any sense - A Sherman 75mm at 10 hexes could knock out a JagdPanther 5 from the front with 2 or 3 shots. I actually tracked down Matrix Games at GenCon and made that complaint, they had me contact their technical team and their answer was that the 75mm gun of the Sherman had a max penetration that exceeded the JagdPanther 5 front armor, so a kill was possible. There was no consideration for the slope of the armor making the thickness thicker for the trajectory of the shell, or any increased deflection possibility. In essence, there was no ballistic physics in the game at all. Within 6 months they had another update that fixed the problem but introduced a new problem. They gave every Polish infantry and cavalry unit a 25mm AT rifle and they were knocking out armored cars left and right. With the game launch problems from Windows 7, and the Artillery bug, it just wasn't worth playing anymore.

Having played the old Tobruk board game in the 70's I knew there were different kill possibilities for the various targets front, side, and rear angles. Track, Upper Hull, Lower Hull, Turret, Gun Mantle, Turret Ring, etc. I also collected all 3 of the Aberdeen Proving Grounds "Tank Data" books, and with additional info from Wiki, it would be possible to make a scale image of each tank, from each direction, with all those hit locations defined. If all tanks were dropped onto the same grid to scale, you get a hit probability area, as well as a hit location (by pixel). Simply add a general slope factor for deflection - say Low for a Sherman, or Tiger, and High for the JagdPanther 5 and you have a much better system to apply your armor thickness to, without complex physics calculations.

I've been kicking around developing a game using this, but just don't have time - I am a software developer, and use C# daily, and have developed computer games before - just not that complicated. I might be interested in working on the Steel Tiger project, but may have missed the boat that just sank. They can contact me if they want.
Zovs

Post by Zovs »

CraigJohnson wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:25 pm ...
Craig,

The best game in the Steel Panthers Series is the Shrapnel's version of SP WW2 and SP MBT, it is the only Steel Panther series that has been in continuous development for the last 22 years.

They have not only correct bugs going all the way back to SP1 and SP2 but have also updated and enhanced both games for the last 22 years.

SPWW2:
https://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Work ... _page.html

SP:MBT
https://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Work ... _page.html
Beta Tester for: War in the East 1 & 2, WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific, Valor & Victory, Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm, Computer War In Europe 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator
bladesinger79

Post by bladesinger79 »

By chance will they be looking for alpha and beta testers (paid)? :D
"No Sir, I don't think that's a good idea at all." -last words from unnamed NCO before falling into an enemy ambush.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”