Scale /unit size?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Erik2, Lukas

krakoburger

Scale /unit size?

Post by krakoburger »

What is the scale of the game? Unit sizes for infantry, naval and air. The only one I feel generally comfortable that I know is that the larger ships are individuals. What is the diameter of a hex?
bru888

RE: Scale /unit size?

Post by bru888 »

One of the remarkable things about this game is that, once you get past the relative sizes of units compared to each other - and that seems to be easy to do - map scales can be flexible and accommodate everything from platoons to divisions. In the mind, that is, and with the aid of custom unit names.
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

How do attack values relate to defense values? I.e. what is the "expected" outcome when both values are equal (say 10 to 10). Also, why
do some units have two different attack or defense versus the same type target?
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

All of this is laid out (and moddable) in the units.csv file found in Order of Battle Pacific/Order of Battle WW2 Data/Content/Data folder.

Obviously, make a copy of the file before changing anything.

Have fun.
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

Thanks rosseau! But when I go to this file I only find the game's units stats- nothing dealing with combat results. Also no explanation for attack values with two different numbers for the same type of attack. I did copy and modify some values that were wrong but then the revised units.csv file doesn't allow the game to play!
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The units.csv needs to be saved as a 'comma separated value' file. And any errors in the file will cause the game to hang.
I've found the best editing tool is the free Open Office.
Excel wouldn't work correctly for me.

Edit:
Here's a screenshot of the start page, you get a preview of the units file.
BTW, the Slitherine Scenario Forum has a number of discussions going and lots of custom scenarios/campaigns.
Someone's even got a Modern War modding project.
Welcome!
OOB Scenario Forum

Attachments
units.jpg
units.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 821 times
AceDuceTrey

Post by AceDuceTrey »

Erik, thank you so much! I'm not sure what I did but It worked!
krakoburger

Post by krakoburger »

I've been thinking about my question for a long time - 2 years now - and I've played through a number of scenarios in several modules, and I wonder why it wouldn't be more obvious. Certain issues, such as logistics, e.g. supply, are much more difficult and important to monitor IRL for large units across wide areas, whereas smaller units' logistics are more easily managed across small distances. For instance, since playing through most of Winter War, I've read a couple of books and some papers on aspects of the war, and it is clear that there are big differences in unit size and morale between the Soviet and Finnish armies but the scenarios don't let the player "feel" this. Also, it is hard to know your own army, let alone understand something about the opponent, without a better sense of scale.
KingHunter3059

Post by KingHunter3059 »

In reply to Krakoburger, Sorry for the delay, But I find this game to be Regimental in scale. So I play accordingly.
JT

"He who dares, wins!"
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Actually, one of its strengths is the way OOB does not force any sense of scale. This flexibility allows the designer to go all the way from division level down to company. The trick is to impart what the scale actually is supposed to be by references in the scenario description, briefings, messages, and unit labels.

Return to “The War Room”