Push Pull supply system

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Disco Duck

Push Pull supply system

Post by Disco Duck »

I keep hearing about using Push Pull to pump supplies to places like China and Darwin. Does anyone have a simple explanation on how to do it?
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
HansBolter

RE: Push Pull supply system

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Disco Duck

I keep hearing about using Push Pull to pump supplies to places like China and Darwin. Does anyone have a simple explanation on how to do it?

Increase the demand for the base you want to pull to and decrease the demand from the base you want it pulled from.
Only supply in excess of the local demand can be pulled away from a base.
Hans

Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

As Hans says, the theory (just that after much patching) is you "walk" a slug of supply across the map by increasing demand forward and decreasing it at the present base and behind that base. It's slow, tedious, and worked a LOT better when the game shipped than it does now. One problem is the supply network is a grid, not a series of lines, so supply leaks out around the edges of the forward route you're aiming at.

There is also the problem of creating enough demand at the next base in line to pull the supply to it. This is especially an issue with Darwin. I can get five-figures into Alice Springs with no problem, but then the route north moves through flyspeck bases and on one, thin yellow road. (maybe even better than the WWII reality from players who live there or know the old maps.) No matter how much pressure is applied, you can't force a fire hose down to a pipette and move the same volume of water.

In the case of Darwin the good news is it pretty much works in the other direction for Japan. Offensives south of Darwin can work to an extent, but are always on the edge of disaster. Transport aircraft can supplement to a degree, but it's never easy, and the Allies have precious few until well into 1943. Darwin needs sea supply. It looks impossible to do in 1942. Later it is extremely easy.

Getting supply into China is the holy grail of AE. If you figure it out let me know.
The Moose
mind_messing

Post by mind_messing »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Getting supply into China is the holy grail of AE. If you figure it out let me know.

The best method I ever saw was a player who transferred every operational bomber that had the range to fly to China to Ledo, starting Dec 7th.

By every bomber, I mean the US East Coast stuff, ABDA, RAF, the US aircraft on Luzon, and all the stuff in-between.

I think it was a pretty respectable boost to China's supply situation, but obviously the tactical cost of doing that is pretty steep in the early game for the Allies.

Then again, the strategic cost of losing China due to no supplies is even more so.

China ain't fun for the Allies at all.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

The best method I ever saw was a player who transferred every operational bomber that had the range to fly to China to Ledo, starting Dec 7th.

By every bomber, I mean the US East Coast stuff, ABDA, RAF, the US aircraft on Luzon, and all the stuff in-between.

I think it was a pretty respectable boost to China's supply situation, but obviously the tactical cost of doing that is pretty steep in the early game for the Allies.

Then again, the strategic cost of losing China due to no supplies is even more so.

That was Mr. Kane, a player known for thinking outside the box and taking risks. He sets his strategic plan on the first turn and sticks to it like few players do!
I know I would crack and react to other game events ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I would never do that. Losing China is very survivable. OTOH, in many games there are Oil-bombing options in the early months.
The Moose
Disco Duck

Post by Disco Duck »

As Hans says, the theory (just that after much patching) is you "walk" a slug of supply across the map by increasing demand forward and decreasing it at the present base and behind that base.

Decreasing it behind the forward base is what I was missing. Thanks everyone[&o]
There is no point in believing in things that exist. -Didactylos
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

I can see how that's true. I haven't done the Allies as yet, but I can see this as a big headache.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “The War Room”