Steam Tips?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

76mm

Steam Tips?

Post by 76mm »

Well, till now I've avoided Steam, mainly out of inertia.

But I'm looking a couple of games (Crusader Kings II, Stellaris) that are only available on Steam so I might break down and install it.

Honestly I don't understand what Steam is; I guess it is software that will allow me to buy and download games, and will update them automatically without patches. What else does it do? Does it let me choose where to install games on my computer? Or do I even install the games on my computer, or just run them from the cloud? Any general tips on how to get the most out of Steam, or how to avoid major problems?

Any comments on the two games mentioned above would also be welcome :-)
sanderz

RE: Steam Tips?

Post by sanderz »

not sure if it lets you choose where to install it but you can copy the whole directory somewhere else and run it from there - useful if you run mods as the main steam directory stuff auto updates which sometimes can break stuff - however most games let you run old versions or even betas by a couple of clicks in the games "properties"

you don't install to the cloud but you have the option to save games to the cloud if you want too

steam makes it very easy to find and install (and keep up to date mods) - checkout the workshop

steam has some great sales from time to time

Mylesmata

Post by Mylesmata »

Steam is the lesser of all the DRM evils; as sanderz says, it's essentially software to purchase, install and update games, integrated with multiple gaming communities (both game-specific and non-specific) and anti-piracy infrastructure. Think of the Matrix game launchers, but expanded to encompass all games you own on Steam with built-in forums, chat, guides, mods...

It's actually quite simple despite sounding bloated with features. As with any online communities, be wary of spam/scam artists and toxic communities. It's worth signing up and browsing around to see if it's for you.

Feel free to add me if you want, I can't post links here yet but search for mtl404 in the communities/people section and you'll find me.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Tom, the Steam platform (interface, page) can be clunky at times, the best thing to do is exit Steam and log back on and things are back to normal. Also, some of the features can go down from time to time, here is a good site to check...
https://steamstat.us/
"Crusader Kings II" and "Stellaris" have gotten great reviews...go for it! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

1. But I'm looking a couple of games (Crusader Kings II, Stellaris) that are only available on Steam so I might break down and install it.

2. Honestly I don't understand what Steam is; I guess it is software that will allow me to buy and download games, and will update them automatically without patches.

3. What else does it do? Does it let me choose where to install games on my computer? Or do I even install the games on my computer, or just run them from the cloud?

4. Any general tips on how to get the most out of Steam, or how to avoid major problems?

1. CKII is DLC heavy, but great fun imo. However it is NOT a pure strategy game, it is strategy meets rpg. You run a family line that controls a province/duchy/kingdom/empire, and try to grow as powerful as possible. If your last male heir dies, it is game over. Think this is the game on steam that I have the 2nd most hours on (after Civ V).

Stellaris I have not played alot as it needed some polish at release, but I hear it is way better now.

2. Yup, it does all that. It also keeps track of all your purchased games, so you can install/uninstall as many times as you want.

3. You install on your PC, and yes, you get to chose where to install. Which is great for me, since it allows me to keep all my games on one HD; and let the other be all windows.

4. Join groups you find interesting (think of them like the subforums here on matrix), look at the workbench for mods etc.
Use it to browse for games. Warning though, "simulations" on steam is not only what I think of as simulations, so you might get alot of moot sugestions, however I have found lots of games I would not else find.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

add me into your friends list if you like, i'm online most days, just useless at gaming [X(][8|][;)][:D]

Stellaris is much better now after the many patches[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Thanks for the tips guys, helpful! Hopefully I see you on Steam pretty soon; currently travelling but will probably install within a week or two...

I've recently been reading a fair bit about the Crusades and other medieval stuff, so I think CKII could be fun, although I tried it a few years ago and it didn't really click with me.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

And please do join our group on Steam [:)]
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SlitherineGroup
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

But I'm looking a couple of games (Crusader Kings II, Stellaris) that are only available on Steam so I might break down and install it.

Honestly I don't understand what Steam is; I guess it is software that will allow me to buy and download games, and will update them automatically without patches. What else does it do? Does it let me choose where to install games on my computer? Or do I even install the games on my computer, or just run them from the cloud? Any general tips on how to get the most out of Steam, or how to avoid major problems?

I know how you feel. I avoided Steam until the only way to play some of the titles I anticipated most required that Steam be installed. So I caved.

The games you mentioned--Crusader Kings II and Stellaris--are Paradox titles and only have to be activated on Steam in order to play them. In other words, the Steam DRM is not used, as sanderz noted. Once activated, Steam can be exited and a game's executable can be used to start and play the game.

Steam has its pluses and I particularly like Steam's automatic patching (when the patch is better than the previous version).

The thing I dislike the most about Steam is having it shoved down my throat.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
budd

Post by budd »

I joined Steam pretty much right after it released,so far never had a problem with it. The auto patching is easy, you can opt into beta's if you want and since your getting CK2 you'll appreciate the workshop, install/uninstall a mod by just subscribing/unsubscribing to it. I have all my games shortcuts in Steam, Steam game or not, so i can start all my games through Steam even in offline mod. You can have a Steam directory on any drive,i have one on my SSD drive and one on my other drive. There's a lot of free games available and installing a demo[if available] is a snap. It's just easy and convenient.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

+1 to Budd's post.

It appears the OP has a lot of discipline when buying games, because Steam and its sales are going to be pulling at your wallet.
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

+1 to Budd's post.

It appears the OP has a lot of discipline when buying games, because Steam and its sales are going to be pulling at your wallet.

+2 to budd...I have used it for years and never had an issue as well. Really helps consolidate things into one place. Also, now that they provide refunds (when you play under 2 hours), that's a great way to try out games your not sure about.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Greybriar
The thing I dislike the most about Steam is having it shoved down my throat.
Yeah, honestly this is one of the main reasons I haven't installed it until now, along with the fact that once people use steam they seem to get upset if games they want are not released on Steam. Wanted to maintain some independence... But what the hell, why not at this point?
ORIGINAL: rosseau
Actually I'm really struggling to find games to buy these days, and if I buy them, I struggle to find time to play. So I doubt I'll be buying any more games on Steam that I would without it, although hopefully they'll be cheaper!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Once you've activated and used the cd key on Steam you never really need steam again until the patch process. Now those games with heavy drm you do have to be logged on. Those aren't steam's fault they are the fault of the developers and I suggest not buying any of those games so they will see the light. [:'(]

I play many of my games now with the modem disconnected and off. The steam client is local and just loads up to check the previously activated game codes. Now, whether it is intrusive or not and is recording what you are doing to report back to steam once you log back on again I can't be sure. It does draw a lot of your free memory down over time though. I've watched it go from 19% to 58%+ sitting idle while steam is loaded even offline.

Steam is really just a middle man distributor, they don't make the rules of the games they only enforce the rules made by the developers and of course Valve their own stuff. After discovering I could play many of my games without steam I became less skeptical but still wonder about how much they are recording online and offline. You ARE being watched and don't you forget it. [:'(]
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore
...but still wonder about how much they are recording online and offline. You ARE being watched and don't you forget it.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that that was another reason why I'd not installed until now...thanks for the reminder.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

You ARE being watched

bit of hype and over rated tbh, same as windows 10 use of back door features that so called big brother spying on you, i'm not sure if anyone wants to look at what i do, but if there bored enough, let them. now lets be practical,

look at the numbers alone, steam data base of users or even M/S data base,

what would it take to store data on this scale? and cost how much? and to keep for what reasons? and for how long?

as 99.9% would be junk, i'm not sure it's worth the effort of finding out i play a bit of everything every now and then either...

plus just being online and going anywhere, since day one, your being watched, recorded and monitored with cookies, time stamps and IP logs etc etc, so it's nothing new either[:'(]

and now for some older less known tips, still working btw

Code: Select all

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2600209/master-steam-10-powerful-tips-and-tricks-for-pc-gamings-do-it-all-vanguard.html

Code: Select all

https://www.gottabemobile.com/2016/04/30/valve-steam-tips-tricks-for-new-users/
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I guess you never get those privacy policies in the mail that "inform" you that you are being watched and sold. [:'(]

Yep you are right it's nothing "new" but it's just being forgotten or out of mind. the socalled friendly named "cookie" is the main culprit but there are ways around not accepting them. [:'(] Even with that though there is no way of knowing if the blockers are really blocking or not, just saying they are.

Basically if you're online you are being watched by someone some place somewhere all the time. So, if you're gonna be online I wouldn't worry so much about steam intrusiveness as the rest of the internet. [X(]

If you really want to get away from intrusion, leave the net and never come back. It's the devil's eye in your home. [:-]
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I guess you never get those privacy policies in the mail that "inform" you that you are being watched and sold. [:'(]

Yep you are right it's nothing "new" but it's just being forgotten or out of mind. the socalled friendly named "cookie" is the main culprit but there are ways around not accepting them. [:'(] Even with that though there is no way of knowing if the blockers are really blocking or not, just saying they are.

Basically if you're online you are being watched by someone some place somewhere all the time. So, if you're gonna be online I wouldn't worry so much about steam intrusiveness as the rest of the internet. [X(]

If you really want to get away from intrusion, leave the net and never come back. It's the devil's eye in your home. [:-]

Paranoid delusions...[8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
wodin

Post by wodin »

Never had an issue with Steam. Infact I find it very handy. Install and uninstall as often as you want. Updated as soon as a patch comes out. Steam Workshop works well for adding mods.

Also CK2 in my opinion is easy worth install Steam. However you have to come o it in a different frame of mind to any other game. Don't think you have to be doing something all the time. Watch as things unfold and if you have grand ambitions sometimes you have to bide your time. Other ttimes you may find you are having little to do and things are going along all great..maybe even for a few years..but something will happen at some point to rock your boat.You also really need to get rid of the idea that you have some end goal to achieve to win. You don't win. Though you do score points once either your line ended or you come to the end of the time period the game covers (never got that far).

If you want action straight away I'd go for Spet 1066 as Duke of Morcar. Then at some point declare War on Harold your King which will stop the Vikings attacking you, though I'd let those Vikings kick Harold around for abit first. You can then move in on Harold yourself to become King. Again though even if you win of the Vikings are still a huge threat I'd let Harold stay Kinf and you stay independent away from any war with the Vikings.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I find the most fun way to play is from count up and a lowly count of one province. Duke is fun also, nearly all the power of the king without the headache. When I make king I usually save and go back to a count or duke. It's fun watching the ai king basically destroy what you built in a few years time. Lots of good game play in CKII for sure. Never a dull moment even when there seems nothing to do I'm always looking for new courtiers to invite to my realm.

Return to “General Discussion”