Playing TotH Without Using The ctrl Key

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Missouri_Rebel

Playing TotH Without Using The ctrl Key

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I prefer to stay away from using the keyboard in a game if I can and in TotH you have to do so quite often when selecting units.

I use X-Mouse for just that. This works with a standard mouse as well as multi buttoned mice. I'll show how to use your left mouse button in lieu of pressing ctrl + left-click.

Download and install X-Mouse

https://www.highrez.co.uk/scripts/downl ... age=XMouse

1) Start Tigers on the Hunt. Alt-Tab out and run X-Mouse (look in your START menu)

2) Click the ADD button

3) Double click on the Tigers on the Hunt application in the list of running apps and then the OK button

4) TotH was added and should be highlighted. If it is not, click it in the panel to do so. The changes we will make are on the right panel once highlighted. Click the Down Arrow (pointed to in the pic) on the Left Button heading and scroll down to Simulated Keys (Undefined) and left click it.

5) Copy and paste the two commands shown into the field at the top. You can also type it in as {CTRL}{LMB}. Click OK, APPLY, then CLOSE.

It's as simple as that. Now when you want to select multiple units in a hex you just click your left mouse button to select the units and do not need to press ctrl and left click each time.

Some menus won't let you click them with this method. When faced with this issue just use your ENTER key instead or just set up the Middle mouse button for standard left click.

Thanks Monkie.

EDIT: With the addition of the shortcut to advance the phase by pressing Space I have found doing the above steps for the middle button and using {SPACE} as the simulated key saves me even more mouse time.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
MikeMarchant_ssl

RE: Want To Get Away From Using The ctrl Key?

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

It's a great idea, but it hasn't worked for me, sadly. No matter which buttons I define and what actions I assign for them, nothing changes.

Best Wishes

Mike
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Did you point to the correct .exe?

Are you starting the game with that .exe?
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
SteveD64

Post by SteveD64 »

Thanks for the tip! Got it to work.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

You're welcome. Glad it worked. Got the game early last week but only fired it up late last night after watching idjesters feed and installing the ASL mod.

I am going to like this game I can tell. I'm excited as to where the game will go in the future.
dox44

Post by dox44 »

wouldn't work in programs or x86 but installed to C: -- it works. i might have missed something cause i was skimming.

thanks!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: casebier

wouldn't work in programs or x86 but installed to C: -- it works. i might have missed something cause i was skimming.

thanks!

Hmmm. I have most of my Matrix games on my Data drive.

Is anyone else getting this to work?
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Great idea, it works very well.

I changed it up a bit and just made the Left Mouse Button a CTRL-LMB combination and it seems to work just as well from my limited testing. No need to mess with the Middle Mouse Button at all unless you preferred it.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

TY Monkie. I was just going to point to that discovery. It works even better. Too bad the pointer has to be over the unit text panel otherwise programming the scroll buttons as UP and DOWN arrows would let you scroll the list and select the units from where the pointer is over the units on the map saving a TON of mouse movements.
kylania

Post by kylania »

This shouldn't be necessary. The entire UI needs to be refactored.

Thanks for your efforts to attempt to improve the absolute worst part of the game though. :)
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Did you change it kylania? Give it a go.
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Thank you, it works great !
Former AJE team member
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

Once small issue if you are using the LMB-CTRL combo on the LMB press. When using this combo you cannot click to select the pull down menus at the start of the scenario ie selecting Human vs AI, Difficulty etc. You can select and highlight using the mouse button but will need to press ENTER to finalize the selection.
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

Thanks. It works very well.[:)]
Bulldog1

Post by Bulldog1 »

Awesome! You the man!
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

It works! Thanks for that tip. As already pointed out by Franciscus you have to use the enter key for team selection. Also, I haven't tried it with the editor yet. I imagine it would be best to deactivate x-mouse before using the editing tool.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I don't think it affects the editor because that is actually ran under another .exe
36142CP

Post by 36142CP »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I don't think it affects the editor because that is actually ran under another .exe

Ah ha, yes. Problem solved, thanks [:)]
MikeMarchant_ssl

Post by MikeMarchant_ssl »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Did you point to the correct .exe?

Are you starting the game with that .exe?

Yes, definitely the right .exe but no joy. I tried several times, even resorting to the good old reboot.

Maybe, as someone mentioned below, it's to do with it being installed in x86 - I'm not sure whether the remark referred to the X-Mouse application or TotH.

Best Wishes

Mike

Return to “Tech Support”