Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

For those who wonder about Windows 10 making it and maybe have been putting off their own upgrade plans. This one looks like it is here to stay.

I have a Windows 7 desktop that I will upgrade in "a few months" while the free upgrade is still available. My laptop is already upgraded to Windows 10 (that one had Windows 8/8.1 on it so it was an easy call to upgrade).

This is a Microsoft announcement/status report.
dcpollay

RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices

Post by dcpollay »

Funny you should post this....I just made the Windows 7-to-10 upgrade a couple hours ago.

Most everything is running well so far. I had a hiccup with my e-mail, but after some looking I think my provider was down for awhile. Haven't played AE yet, but I did load the game, and it seemed to be okay except for the return of some lag when clicking. It might just need a couple refinements to the command line.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

This is a Microsoft announcement/status report.
Oh the horror! (shudder).

I'll upgrade when they pry Windows 7 from my cold dead hands.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

I'm still coming to terms with upgrading to Windows 7.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

My rule is to never change operating systems... everytime I buy a new laptop, it will come with whatever version is the latest. I simply can't find any reason to upgrade: at most it will have a small performance improvement, but the potential risk of messing up all my stuff, WITP-AE in particular, is to much for me

I really prefer to avoid writing in the "tech support" sub-forum as much as I can
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I think I will be keeping Windows 7 for a long time.
dcpollay

Post by dcpollay »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

My rule is to never change operating systems... everytime I buy a new laptop, it will come with whatever version is the latest. I simply can't find any reason to upgrade: at most it will have a small performance improvement, but the potential risk of messing up all my stuff, WITP-AE in particular, is to much for me

I really prefer to avoid writing in the "tech support" sub-forum as much as I can
I have the same philosophy, but I've developed some problems with my system, and the upgrade was my best hope. It's either Windows 10 fixes the issues, or it's off to buy a new computer.
"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Often performance degrades with a new OS because Microsoft doesn't put much effort into making new versions faster and they just bloat more and more. Most of my computers are desktops and I only use laptops for travel. I usually downgrade the OS to something I like better. My last laptop came with Win 8 and I immediately downgraded to Win 7. The one before that came with Vista and I downgraded to XP first thing.

I also configure Windows to look and act as much like Win 95 as possible. I didn't understand why until I started learning more about dyslexia. I'm mildly dyslexic and one thing dyslexics rely on is patterns. When the OS looks and feels like Win 95, I don't have to think about anything because the patterns are deeply ingrained at this point.

I have a friend who is severely dyslexic and she is even more dependent on patterns. Another friend who is an expert in all things Apple (he was a software developer there for a while) did some stuff with her iPhone and he arranged things in a way he thought was more efficient and she had a meltdown because the icons were not in the same place. He was bewildered, but I immediately saw it as a more extreme version of what I need. For her, she gets paralyzed if the interface changes too much.

My friend is a master at patterns though. She was studying fashion design and one of the things she had to do for one of her projects was do some sort of art thing that had no pattern to it. On the day it was due, she said she couldn't do the assignment because everything she tried had a pattern to it. The instructor said everyone else was able to do the assignment. My friend went through every assignment and pointed out the pattern in every one of them. She got an A on the assignment.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Reg

Post by Reg »

I'm running Vista video drivers (and what a convoluted process they were to install [X(]) because Win8 doesn't support my hardware [:(] (which performs quite adequately by the way [:'(]).

I can't see myself upgrading in a hurry.... [:-]

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

Win10 is nice and clean and WITPAE actually running quite smoothly.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I did last week. Had no major problem only minor one like were to find stuff and getting rid of stuff that I'll never use (or want).
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

It keeps asking me to upgrade and then when it tries to it says my display drivers are not compatible so sadly I have to stick in the past.....

I am so so sad.....

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
kaleun

Post by kaleun »

No way I'm upgrading my alienware laptop to 10. I made sure when I bought it that it came with 7.
My wife's laptop has 10 in it and I hate it. It also has witpae on my side of it, and yes, there is some lag to it.
My worry is that this game might not work with the next iteration of windows, then what'll I do?
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

I upgraded to Win10 when it first came out..Microsoft has doing the upgrades all along and a recent one was pretty long, maybe ten minutes on my very fast server.

Some folks are concerned about the built in "spyware", and turning them off in the program itself does not kill all of it.

The nice thing is I was directed to a free download of "Spybot Anti-Beacon" which is easy to install and very user friendly.
It allows you to tweak what you wish to block and has a very good success rate.
Matrixgames run fine on Win10..

NOTE:I have heard that some folks who did the Win10 upgrade but later went back to 7 or 8 DID have problems with other programs.
My contacts are worldwide and for some reason, Australians seem to report more problems with this than others.

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

It keeps asking me to upgrade and then when it tries to it says my display drivers are not compatible so sadly I have to stick in the past.....

I am so so sad.....

Roger
Is that via Parallels?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Running Windows 7. Won´t upgrade until next reinstall. That will either happen in a year or so OR some HW failure.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Running Windows 7. Won´t upgrade until next reinstall. That will either happen in a year or so OR some HW failure.
FYI, the free upgrade offer is (AFAIK) running until the end of July 2016.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Win 7 and will never(contingent on my work needs) upgrade for a OS that is a big loss in privacy and user control. If i update will be for Linux in say 4-5 years. I installed Mint 17 in an old laptop and it is perfectly functional and they keep improving it.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

How come Windows upgrades always seem like downgrades? They keep hiding more and more stuff and making it harder to control your own device.

kaleun

Post by kaleun »

How come Windows upgrades always seem like downgrades? They keep hiding more and more stuff and making it harder to control your own device.

So they can have more control over you and your computer, and figure out how to make you pay over and over for things that you should only have to pay once.

Of course, as more users move to Apple or Linux, their business plan might have to change.

Only reason I am still using windows is WITPAE, it seems complicated to make it work under Apple.
Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”