Ist coop PBEM possible?

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
AstaSyneri

Ist coop PBEM possible?

Post by AstaSyneri »

Hi!

Is it possible to run this game in some sort of coop mode (based on scenario, of course) via PBEM? I can't find anything if I enter those keywords and I am looking for a nice game to play via PBEM.

Coop is preferred, going to head-to-head sometimes is not good for friendships ;-).
Ostwindflak

RE: Ist coop PBEM possible?

Post by Ostwindflak »

I can't recall any scenarios that could be played as Co-op. I do not believe anything in this game was designed to be played as Co-op, either the AI or PBEM are your only options.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

you can ... sort of, in some of the 3 faction wars. As an example in the Sulla-Marius scenario the Marian and Pontic factions have a common early goal (destroy Sulla) but to 'win' they would then need to fight each other.

problem is the scenarios are set up usually as 2 or 3 faction civil wars and the goal is to destroy everyone else. My PBEM group have no problems with back stabbing and betrayals so this suits us.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

Actually Sertorious works well as a potential co-op. Early on, the Pontians and Sertorious can strike an alliance, they share a common enemy, and never realistically would have any reason to fight each other.

It also works extremely well (maybe even is designed to be played as), a 2 sided scenario with one taking Sertorious and Pontus and the other Rome.
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Will try Sertorius, thank you.

Currently a friend of mine dipped in with me to learn the game and he "complained" that his turn didn't reflect what he did the previous turn (I am hosting).

I tried to follow the sequence on page 11 of the manual: Start game, save - send the .trn file to him. Got back and .ord file, put it into the games save file folder, started the game and ended the turn. I may have looked around through my own troops before ending the turn and generating the new turn.

What could be the probable cause here?

My first instinct is that somehow his .ord file didn't get processed and the AI jumped in instead...
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

ORIGINAL: AstaSyneri

Currently a friend of mine dipped in with me to learn the game and he "complained" that his turn didn't reflect what he did the previous turn (I am hosting).

I tried to follow the sequence on page 11 of the manual: Start game, save - send the .trn file to him. Got back and .ord file, put it into the games save file folder, started the game and ended the turn. I may have looked around through my own troops before ending the turn and generating the new turn.

What could be the probable cause here?

My first instinct is that somehow his .ord file didn't get processed and the AI jumped in instead...

it's a possibility.

if you have all the files (and you should have them) you can re-do the host and see if it happens again or not.
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Okay, found out how to turn back time ;-). It looks like there may have been a problem with the file - now zipping it seems to work. Thank you!

Now if only those lazy generals would get away from their orgies and onto a horse :P.
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

I have been looking through all the scenarios - and I can't find any one that mentions Sertorious. What scenario are you talking about?

Great Mithradaic War 82 B.C.?
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

I have been looking through all the scenarios - and I can't find any one that mentions Sertorious. What scenario are you talking about?

Great Mithradaic War 82 B.C.?

it depends on which games do you own of the "Alea Jacta Est" series.
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

The complete bundle ;-). We are playing the Mithradaic War, and every turn offers new challenges. ;-)

For some reason my friend could send alliance offers to Sertorius, but they never arrived with me. That only works with a PC opponent/ally?
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

do you mean "Mithridatic War" ?

it's a great scenario indeed [8D]

I don't know how the alliance offer work.

a way to discover it can be to do a special "Experimental Game" with that "Mithridatic War" scenario in which you play the role of all the players - so you can see what's happen when the alliance offer is sent to Sertorius.

the system of playing against yourself it's a great way to learn the mechanics of the AGEOD wargames.
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Wow, 20 turns in it's quite hard to get used to it - so much is happening behind the scenes. And those Roman generals (I am playing Sertorius) are slippery as hell. I battered one of those 4-legion stacks into oblivion, but the General escaped to Carthago Nova with 700 men!
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

20 turns.. it's a lot of game time..

but on the spot I don't remember the time scale of the Alea Jacta Est series
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

20 turns.. it's a lot of game time..

but on the spot I don't remember the time scale of the Alea Jacta Est series

Turns are 1 month duration.

Regards
Former AJE team member
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

The complete bundle ;-). We are playing the Mithradaic War, and every turn offers new challenges. ;-)

For some reason my friend could send alliance offers to Sertorius, but they never arrived with me. That only works with a PC opponent/ally?

Hi

The Pontic Diplomatic option of alliace offer to Sertorius should work in PBEM. After Pontus sends the offer, a new Diplomatic option should appear for Sertorius player to accept it or not (at a cost of some EP and VP).

If this is not working, you cand send me a saved game (and also the contents of the scripts folder), but it is better to do it at the Ageod forum

Regards
Former AJE team member
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

thank you Franciscus [:)]
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

The Pontic Diplomatic option of alliace offer to Sertorius should work in PBEM. After Pontus sends the offer, a new Diplomatic option should appear for Sertorius player to accept it or not (at a cost of some EP and VP).

If this is not working, you cand send me a saved game (and also the contents of the scripts folder), but it is better to do it at the Ageod forum

Unfortunately we have moved far beyond that already :(. Right now my friend (playing the Pontic side) is extremely frustrated with the supply situation. Basically he cannot do anything, because his rather large armies run out of supply extremely quickly.

I have a feeling this should have been a huge part of the tutorial mission - it seems to be a huge problem if you don't play the Romans and their efficient legions but rather have a more quantitative approach.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

well, the supply system is the heart of the AGEOD wargames in my opinion and masterize it is capital to play.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Unfortunately we have moved far beyond that already :(. Right now my friend (playing the Pontic side) is extremely frustrated with the supply situation. Basically he cannot do anything, because his rather large armies run out of supply extremely quickly.

I have a feeling this should have been a huge part of the tutorial mission - it seems to be a huge problem if you don't play the Romans and their efficient legions but rather have a more quantitative approach.

the Pontics are hard to play. Not least in combat you ideally need a flat province or your numbers will be negated by the terrain.

For supply there are two tricks. One is to hug the coast, keep a fleet close by and you can send supply wagons to the fleet and back (fleets carry more supply than they need so this is quite effective). Of course this means your fleet is vulnerable to storms, but ...

Second is to keep the core of your combat army back in good supply and create a number of light columns. These should go ahead and grab key supply producing cities so your main army can then march between supply secure bases. The ideal is not to start burning off the supply they start with till you reach an area where you need to engage in an active campaign.

final bit, the Pontics have real problems with siege works, so ideally avoid a route that means you need to take level 2 (or more) forts.

This will help but its still a real challenge. In all the early games, the Pontic faction is probably the hardest to play well
AstaSyneri

Post by AstaSyneri »

Thanks for the Pontics hints.

Yes, supply is important. Is there a good tutorial somewhere?

Lastly we have tried the alliance thing again. I am seeing a notice that the Pontics are offering an alliance to Sertorius, but I can't find any option to accept it. Where should I find it?

Unfortunately upload the .zip file with the turn orders (400+ kb) is not supported here :(.

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”