still very eager to play the new (upcomming) build

Commander - The Great War is the latest release in the popular and playable Commander series of historical strategy games. Gamers will enjoy a huge hex based campaign map that stretches from the USA in the west, Africa and Arabia to the south, Scandinavia to the north and the Urals to the east on a new engine that is more efficient and fully supports widescreen resolutions.
Commander – The Great War features a Grand Campaign covering the whole of World War I from the invasion of Belgium on August 5, 1914 to the Armistice on the 11th of November 1918 in addition to 16 different unit types including Infantry, Cavalry, Armoured Cars and Tanks, Artillery, Railroad Guns and Armoured Trains and more!

Moderators: Lord Zimoa, MOD_Commander_The_Great_War

wolf14455

still very eager to play the new (upcomming) build

Post by wolf14455 »

any news? Up to Apple I guess, looks like the 2 weeks target as predicted, eh.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
wolf14455

RE: still very eager to play the new (upcomming) build

Post by wolf14455 »

Well its more than 2 weeks now. Any glitch, hick ups etc at Apple side? Would be nice to finnaly get started.
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Well I asked similair in the steam forum and no reply there either. Today I presented a querry in the slitherine forum about the lack of support in these two forums butno reply yet. Ofcource I did it after lunchtime and now its time for them to end the days work and I guess the dev dont check that forum either on day to day basis. Well I bought the game and really want to be playing again.
SwedeWolf

toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

I am really interested in playing the new version also. It has taken a while, but I hope it comes out soon.
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

The new 1.6.2 PC and iOS CTGW is a while now on the Matrix FTP, I hope they send it to Apple next week.
toddtreadway

Post by toddtreadway »

Oh, is it available for the PC currently, or are you waiting for it to go up on Apple before releasing it to the PC/Steam?
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

The new 1.6.2 PC and iOS CTGW is a while now on the Matrix FTP, I hope they send it to Apple next week.

Never mind. I got it.
Jim Cobb
Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Sadly we found a bug caused by a missing file , so we had to rebuild and check all again, they are now signed off and I hope Slitherine will send all to Apple next week and get approval asap, so we can finally release the official patch cross-platform.

Oh, is it available for the PC currently, or are you waiting for it to go up on Apple before releasing it to the PC/Steam?

We have to await Apple`s approval and release cross-platform or the cross-platform MP will not work...and we still did some other fixes compared to the 1.6.0 Beta.

I will post a full 1.6.2 asa the patches are out.
AdmiralSarek

Post by AdmiralSarek »

Sounds good, looking forward to the new version
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
SwedeWolf

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

I really thought it was done now and finally I could start playing this weekend. I gonna remind my self to think twice before getting an interest in game involving different platforms where Apple is the mediator. Badwill for Apple this time, I say.
My interest and eagerness to even come in here and check is dwindling.[:-]
SwedeWolf

operating

Post by operating »

I've been of the thought: That it may not be the fault of Apple, perhaps an in house screwup of some kind.. The bogus Steam update sends another signal that all is not right.
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Hmmm, yup can be so too. I hope they sort it out soon as it a very good game. Long overdue to be played again.
SwedeWolf

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Beta testing is over and we expect Slitherine are preparing for the official cross-platform 1.6.2 patch.

Guessing here as we were not informed ourselves.
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Ah, ok. Thanx for responding. Can you shead any light on your own opinion about this crossplatform issue? For me belonging to the old school PC gaming feeling a little sidestepped of sort. cheers
SwedeWolf

Lord Zimoa

Post by Lord Zimoa »

Of course technically when you go for cross-platform development, it is unavoidable really to keep all versions on all platforms the same.

Logistically it is a nightmare for us as well.

But the benefit for the MP players is you can play against a lot more people and also play on any device you prefer.

A solution would be to take out the MP part of the game completely as it is less than 5% of the players that play MP, 95% or more only play SP.

For us we need the revenue of the extra platforms to stay afloat, a PC only game is even harder to handle commercially.

Games like CTGW hardly make a profit if you look at how much time, effort and development costs we spent building a custom engine and porting it, is not something we would do again.

Nowadays with initiatives like eg. Unity and Unreal commercial and community supported engines, we at least have a much cheaper and well supported alternative, that drastically reduce our cross-platform development costs, porting costs and time.

Simply put, a one platform PC only game, for us at least, would be commercially not viable enough to consider doing.

Cheers,

Tim aka LZ
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Understandable. Thanx for clearing that out. Its a learning process I know. As you are making this pearl and propably will do it again. And I propably gonna buy it too, I hope the cross platform issues is mastered. [;)]
cheers
SwedeWolf

operating

Post by operating »

LZ,

Correct me, if I am interpreting your post to mean this is the end of Commander style games as we know it?

Bob
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

Speaking as a would be developer for Matrixgames I am hoping you mean "we ourselves will no longer develop PC only games" as opposed to "we will not accept PC only games."
I've been working on a PC only game for a long time and seen many PC only games at Matrix. Will you still accept such?
Otherwise this is going to be a very bad day :-(

p.s. I understand that there are further criteria than this for accepting games but I want to know I haven't doomed myself by developing for PC only.

Return to “Commander - The Great War”