How is the ai?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

runinmonkey

How is the ai?

Post by runinmonkey »

Was curious how the ai is in this game? I don't always have the ability to commit to play PBEM games so is the ai worth playing against? Or is it strictly a PBEM-level game.
Joel Billings

RE: How is the ai?

Post by Joel Billings »

For all the work Gary put into the AI we sure hope it's not just a PBEM game. The AI is not as smart or tricky as a human player, but it should put up a good fight, especially if you give it a little help. I would bet that nearly 75% of the players are only playing it against the AI.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
nedcorleone1

Post by nedcorleone1 »

AI is competent. As with any AI, you can learn things about it and game the system but it takes effort to do so. The great news is, people are finding exploits or shortcomings and reporting it here. The devs are doing a bang up job addressing the issues.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

It's fine, thank you for asking. How're you? [;)]
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
gmsitton

Post by gmsitton »

I'm honestly impressed with the strength of the AI, especially when using the EF box.
runinmonkey

Post by runinmonkey »

Great news. Thanks for the replies.
prinzeugen

Post by prinzeugen »

We must be playing 2 different games! Ive been playing the latest beta version and none of the bugs have been fixed. If you play against Ally AI, the AI will invade Normandy and Southern France on the same turn! Then it decides to pull out of Southern France.
(saw a message during Southern invasion something like: lacking available shipping)
The game is pretty much over after that: the Germans know there will be no other invasion for a long time...
Secondly, Ive heard of people exploiting the Garrison VP rules: that if you invade Southern France and then pull out, The Germans cant meet Garrison requirements and loss a ton of VPs and lose the game.
Maybe they are connected???????
However you want to look at it--there is no playable game playing German vs AI!
On the other hand, playing the Allies against a German AI, is pretty challenging.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

That's a known bug in the D-Day scenario (and only that 1 scenario) that was fixed in the public beta released today. Please try it out and let us know how it does.

We have a version in test that deals with some of the snap back of garrison values after a pull out as well.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
prinzeugen

Post by prinzeugen »

downloaded the latest beta today and problem fixed!
Thanks

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”