What is next for DW?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

ASHBERY76

What is next for DW?

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Patching seem to have slowed down so we can presume the next project is underway.

It is another expansion or straight to DW2?
Deomrve

RE: What is next for DW?

Post by Deomrve »

I hope they go straight to DW2 and make it 64 bit and multithreaded.
Vellarain

Post by Vellarain »

ORIGINAL: Deomrve

I hope they go straight to DW2 and make it 64 bit and multithreaded.

Oh man, even if it was the exact same game I would be all over that like a fat kid on cake.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

/sign to 64-Bit, multithreaded and exact same game
with deeper gameplay
- bargain governments
- more to discover
- more interesting discoveries i. e. foreign missions with risk to loose a ship captain or an ambassador
altogether star trek is a good example
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

I sure hope for another patch that fixes the component #256 bug and also includes some requests from my developer wish list. [&o][&o][&o]

The next patch might very well be the last one, so it's quite important to pester as much as possible out of Erik&Elliot.

DW2 will probably be a modern multithreaded 64bit release with a better engine. No need for 3D graphics, but a huge 3D galaxy map sure would be cool.
Larsenex

Post by Larsenex »

I asked this in another thread.

DW2, native in 64 bit, multi threaded with some DX11 interfaces and still the same game would be just about as awesome as you can ask for.

GC III is pursuing the same path, (same game but 64bit, multi threaded, and better ship builder). They are getting a lot of flak on forums for not being different enough from GC II...
Go for the Eyes Boo!

Intel 8700K Oc'd to 4.8ghz
32 gigs ram
GTX 1070 w/ 6gigs ram.
Using a cache drive from intel with a 60gig flash & 1 terrabyt hd accelerated.
Azuran

Post by Azuran »

Either an expansion or Distant Worlds 2.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

To me DW1 runs fine so 64bit and like are not an issue..

I think the game needs a final political expansion adding a EU style diplomacy system and some sort of the galactic senate MOO3 style.

The decision had been made at this point so it would be nice to know.
Mad Igor

Post by Mad Igor »

diplomacy is probably most mystical and mythical mechanic in X4
some say,that this is just a side effect of development. if it's true,then you can't just make side effect as a main effect.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Paradox demonstrated that you can have decent diplomacy in a 4X game, so theres really no reason to not have it.
I ate the batter of the bulge at Hans' Haus of Luftwaffles
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: Nanaki

Paradox demonstrated that you can have decent diplomacy in a 4X game, so theres really no reason to not have it.

Most 4x devs cannot seem to think of anything but copying simplistic Civ style.StarRuler2 is trying something new and I think its very interesting.
lurchi

Post by lurchi »

Better diplomacy would be nice, but I seriously doubt there'll be another expansion after the Universe all in one pack. I bet next comes DW2. Well, after some final patches, of course.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Would be nice to get the final Shadows update that has been promised.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
PsyKoSnake

Post by PsyKoSnake »

But it would be the time for an other expansion. Almost all ppl who bought DWU would buy the expansion.
mensrea

Post by mensrea »

I hope the long lists of requests are being taken into consideration by the developers. Would be really cool to see stuff like space station and ship based populations, settling barren worlds, actually terraforming planets and not just repairing bombard damage, among so many other things.
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

I like the idea of space station/ship based populations... but I actually like DW's uncolonizable barren worlds and no terraforming. Its kind of refreshing to actually stroll around a developed galaxy and see uncolonized planets, unlike most 4Xes where you end up colonizing, and later terraforming, every rock in the solar system.
slaxis

Post by slaxis »

What about private corporations? Caslon Gas Inc against Hydrogen Corps? Those corporations interacting with the nations by deals, concessions, so on?
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

Already covered by pirates. If you look at the randomly generated pirate names, the Smuggler ones tend to have corporate-themed names. Now, pirate diplomacy really badly needs an overhaul, especially its underlying assumption that every pirate will be of the raider variety.
slaxis

Post by slaxis »

I understand your point, but building a Pirate Fortress that is somehow illegal and building a franchise of a multi"space"national enterprise on a given planet is different... Even if real corporations are sometimes dire as space pirates :p

Imagine a multiplayer game where some players are the nations, some players are the drug dealers, mercs and thugs, and some players control the private sector with logistic challenges and so on.. Wouldn't it be alot of fun? :)
Nanaki

Post by Nanaki »

IMO, Multiplayer and 4X mix about as well as oil and water. As for building pirate fortresses, they could be made legal based on agreements between the pirate and the empire. After all, an Empire can easily decide that extra corruption at a few fringe planets might be worth having a reliable ally. Especially since the Mercenary and Smuggler pirate types are deliberately designed to cooperate with empires.

Overall, I would rather fix up Pirates than attempt to add a new playstyle. Especially when Pirates need a boatload of work as is.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”