Ground Combat?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

CyclopsSlayer

Ground Combat?

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Has anyone actually figured out the details on the procedures and modifiers? There both are 1.9.0.13

Just gets frustrating sometimes to see ridiculous turns of fate.

Me- Mortalen 1 General, 1 SpecOps. 2 Armor, 5 Infantry, Troops from 1.8B Lamersh
Them- Hidden Pirate fortress, 8 Infantry

379K with Space Control, General, Fortified Line, Spec, +7% Planet
vs.
36K with defending Base, +6% Planet

The Pirates WON with 12K left.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Same Game;
Capturing an independent colony. My Troops landed with ~200K strength, some Pirate forces were already raiding the world and other pirate faction. When the other pirates Raid ended and they withdrew, ALL MY forces vanished. Not dead, not on the Transport, not on the world, just gone!
Erik Rutins

RE: Ground Combat?

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer
Me- Mortalen 1 General, 1 SpecOps. 2 Armor, 5 Infantry, Troops from 1.8B Lamersh
Them- Hidden Pirate fortress, 8 Infantry

379K with Space Control, General, Fortified Line, Spec, +7% Planet
vs.
36K with defending Base, +6% Planet

The Pirates WON with 12K left.

This seems odd indeed. Was this an attack to just to destroy their fortress or did they own the planet and were defending it with help from the population? I would like to see a save for this if you have one.
Same Game;
Capturing an independent colony. My Troops landed with ~200K strength, some Pirate forces were already raiding the world and other pirate faction. When the other pirates Raid ended and they withdrew, ALL MY forces vanished. Not dead, not on the Transport, not on the world, just gone!

Would definitely like to see a save for this! There are many unusual cases that are possible with the intersection of multiple pirate factions, multiple non-pirate factions, raids and invasions all going on at the same time, but troops vanishing is certainly not an intended outcome.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Case 1: That force had conquered the Indie Colony, revealing the Hidden Base. Almost immediately following the conquest message I ordered the Pirate Facility attacked. After ordering the attack I stopped watching the combat and turned my attention elsewhere thinking it an easy conquest. The world was still mine, an Orbital base well under construction
Further I went back to an auto-save, reran the attack and this time it ended much as originally expected, Pirates destroyed to minimal damage taken.

Is there some large RNG factor, odds table, or something?

Case 2: The force was a single Transport, I watched it drop the troops and withdrew the Transport to nearby deepspace to recover the troops later. About 500M population. There were 4 Pirate units, assaulting a Hidden Base and its 8-10 Defending units, when my forces were added. I watched the initial fight and then turned my attention elsewhere. Too long ago for auto-save to still capture.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer
Case 1: That force had conquered the Indie Colony, revealing the Hidden Base. Almost immediately following the conquest message I ordered the Pirate Facility attacked. After ordering the attack I stopped watching the combat and turned my attention elsewhere thinking it an easy conquest. The world was still mine, an Orbital base well under construction
Further I went back to an auto-save, reran the attack and this time it ended much as originally expected, Pirates destroyed to minimal damage taken.

Is there some large RNG factor, odds table, or something?

There are certainly random factors, but they would not swing it by that much. As you did not watch the first combat, it's hard to know what happened. Is it possible the pirates sent in ships and dropped in a lot of reinforcements during the battle? I'm guessing there's some unknown event here, because what you describe when rerunning the attack is certainly the expected outcome.
Case 2: The force was a single Transport, I watched it drop the troops and withdrew the Transport to nearby deepspace to recover the troops later. About 500M population. There were 4 Pirate units, assaulting a Hidden Base and its 8-10 Defending units, when my forces were added. I watched the initial fight and then turned my attention elsewhere. Too long ago for auto-save to still capture.

Ok, if you see this again, please do upload a save file. That definitely sounds like a corner case bug which we'd need a save for to find and fix.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”