Deal of the week

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

IainMcNeil

Deal of the week

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

we had a slight technical glitch with the deal of the week and needed to re-upload and test some files today. This means a slightly delay and it will be going live tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

The Matrix Team

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
wings7

RE: Deal of the week

Post by wings7 »

Thanks Iain for the heads up, I was just about to ask when it will be available.

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

I hope it's Distant Worlds [;)]
“If a man does his best, what else is there?”
― George S. Patton Jr.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

Thomas, you read my mind! [:)]

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

If it is you may be a lot better off holding on for Distant Worlds Universe.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

It better not be I already own the whole series. [:D]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its the first game we published as Slitherine, which was not developed internally and its a great one.

Commander Europe at War for $9.99 is unbelievable value and it comes with countless man years of expansions as it includes the free community created Grand Strategy 3.0.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Its the first game we published as Slitherine, which was not developed internally and its a great one.

Commander Europe at War for $9.99 is unbelievable value and it comes with countless man years of expansions as it includes the free community created Grand Strategy 3.0.

Great deal! And a great game!
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

ORIGINAL: wings7

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

Thomas, you read my mind! [:)]

Patrick

*Dang* Doh* [:(]
― George S. Patton Jr.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

If it is you may be a lot better off holding on for Distant Worlds Universe.

John, by Universe, do you mean Distant Worlds and all the expansions? [&:]

Patrick
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

I have just pulled the trigger on Commander: Europe At War. I have not have a chance to check it out apart from a very quick look but I like what I have seen so far.

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi shunwick,

You should DL the latest "Grand Strategy" mod. It really is a vast improvement on the game. [:)]
BAL

Post by BAL »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

Hi shunwick,

You should DL the latest "Grand Strategy" mod. It really is a vast improvement on the game. [:)]

According to the blurb about the deal, this is already part of the download package.
I'll try being nicer if you try being less stupid. - anon
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Wings 7 - I believe the upcoming Universe expansion will be a standalone including all of the previous releases plus it's own additions. Details on it are a bit scant however.

BAL - I don't think it is included but it is free to download

Gary - I've not played that much of any version of Grand Strategy but my impression is that it adds a great deal in terms of detail and historicity to the game which unfortunately the AI is incapable of handling. Thus it probably greatly improves the multi-player game but worsens the single player game. Am I being too harsh ?

Then again at the price it is at in the sale buy it anyway, you'll definitely get your money's worth.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
InuharikoMu

Post by InuharikoMu »

The Version on Sale is 3.0 Grand Strategy Version! No Patch & Mod needed!

Best Regards
― George S. Patton Jr.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Wolfe,

According to the Grand Strategy documentation (and there is a lot of it) the mod does not do anything to help the AI but it does not make it worse either. It is the same as the base (patched) version of the game.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I have just pulled the trigger on Commander: Europe At War. I have not have a chance to check it out apart from a very quick look but I like what I have seen so far.

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you let me know what you think once you've had a chance to get a more detailed look please?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Can you let me know what you think once you've had a chance to get a more detailed look please?

I will try but there really is is a lot of documentation and it is only on sale for a week. I made the decision to buy it after reading the comments of several people here and at over at the Slitherine site. It is a widely liked game.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Many thanks for this.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

I will try but there really is is a lot of documentation and it is only on sale for a week. I made the decision to buy it after reading the comments of several people here and at over at the Slitherine site. It is a widely liked game.

Best wishes,
Steve
warspite1

Okay thanks - if you get the time then that would be great.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Warspite1,

Keep in mind this is a first impressions look at Commander: Europe at War Grand Strategy.

The game was created in Java, a strange choice and one that limits the resolution to 1064 x 768. It also requires a bit of tinkering with the compatibility options but it runs fine on my Vista laptop and my 8.1 desktop.

There is a reason the music is turned off by default but since I never have music on while playing wargames it is no loss for me.

Graphics are functional with the map and the UI clear and uncluttered. You can have little 3D type graphics for the units or NATO counters - and the large counter set is very nice. There are 3 zoom levels for the map and the graphics style, particularly the muted colours, gives a WWII feel to the game for me at least.

The game mechanics are relatively simple and easy to pick up. But that does not mean beer and pretzels. After downloading the game I tried my hand at defeating Poland and abandoned that game in 1940. Hmm…. it was time to read the manual.

The manual for the game runs to about 35 pages and does a reasonable job of giving an overview of the game. The manual for the Grand Strategy mod runs to 650 pages and includes advice on tactics, strategy and the kitchen sink.

The game has plenty of strategic depth with considerable subtlety thrown in for good measure. Playing the game requires a clear strategic plan and careful planning. It is a game, as far as I can tell at this point, that I can get my teeth into.

The ai is not particularly good. For learning the game mechanics and possibly a game or two it is fine. But the real beauty of this game, I suspect, is with PBEM or Hotseat.

Overall, I am very happy with this game especially at the Deal of the Week price. It has the quality of making you think – of analysing the latest campaign, what went right, what I did wrong, what I could do better.

Best wishes,
Steve

Return to “General Discussion”