Moving stacks

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Manstein63

Moving stacks

Post by Manstein63 »

Is there anyway that you can move a stack of units, I can't seem to find a way to do it so it must be something simple
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
LeeChard

RE: Moving stacks

Post by LeeChard »

Use the 'flyout' and click the units you want to move.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

Thanks will give it ago tonight
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
jhdeerslayer

Post by jhdeerslayer »

Crtl - Left Click also but I don't find it always works and seems you need some finesse or something.
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

double click to select all

but look in the manual for all mouse and keyboard hot keys
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

Is there anyway that you can move a stack of units, I can't seem to find a way to do it so it must be something simple
Manstein63

Hi Manstein63

Couple of hints, normally the most infantry or armor units you would have in a land hex is three if you are using the optional rule "Divisions" the flyout works well but I really dont see the need of moving a stack of infantry or armor together but thats just me, just as easy and maybe more prudent to move them one at a time. Usually only two land units in a stack not counting aircraft which cannot move until one of the air phases.

Now naval movement is another story. Moving 20 ships in a stack one at a time, not nice[:-]

The screen below depicts Japanese naval units in Rabaul a major Japanese base in the Pacific. There are 32 units in Rabual, mostly naval ships. By double left clicking on a sea area near Rabaul the naval review detail form appears as shown. You can move the cursor to any port or sea area and see what Japanese units are there. There is a filter that can also show allied forces in those areas.

But for this demo I am going to select and put the cursor over Rabaul which has 32 units in it but not all ships, some aircraft and ground units also. There may be another way but what I have to do is I right click the hex that Rabaul is in and that locks the the form with all the units in it so that I can now go over to that form and selct any units that I want to move. I have selected two carriers the Cv Soryu and the Cv Soryu, you must then slide them off of that form, before you click off the form, to move them to their destination.

I could have selected one ship, ten ships, or every ship in port that can travel together and are not disorganized. I know I am always showing screens and such, but if I did not I would have trouble understanding myself [:(]

Another hint>If you want to also see different units in a hex or change their position in a hex try using [Alt. left click] this will change the positions of units in the hex you are selecting to examine. Of course you can always right click on a unit in a hex then select "next unit" but in stacks over three [mostly naval] that could be a little hectic.

Why do that, when you come to the gound attack or ground support phase you might want to bring all of your aircraft, fighters and bombers to the top of the stack to make sure you do not miss one of them to use in the attack. Of course there is a popup on the left side of the screen showing eligible units that can participate in the attacks.

Another reason to have the aircraft on top is because during the air rebase phase you might not notice that one of your fighter wings is one hex too far away to be used in a defensive sortie against enemy bombers in several critical hexes, and you used up your alloted air-rebase moves with other moves that might not be as critical as that one. Just a thought

Bo

Attachments
moving stack.jpg
moving stack.jpg (179.14 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

What you can also do to select from a large stack of naval units the ones you want to move is to press CTRL left click on the port. A form than pops up, from which you can select what units to move (only remember to unclick the submarines, since those can't move together with the fleet...).
Peter
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

Does the NRD allow you to do selections?! Not for me, its just a review. Ctrl+<click> is better suited to emulate the missing concept of task forces.
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

Does the NRD allow you to do selections?! Not for me, its just a review. Ctrl+<click> is better suited to emulate the missing concept of task forces.
The thing that's missing from the NRD form documentation is that you can 'lock' it by doing a right click on a hex (port or sea area section box). That will bring up the unit menu, but you just ignore the menu. Then you can select units from the NRD form.

So:
1 - Double left click on an empty all sea hex to bring up the NRD form.
2 - Right click on the port or sea area section box from which you want to move naval units.
3 - Ignore the popup unit menu.
4 - Select whichever units you want from the NRD form.
5 - When you move the cursor outside the NRD form, the units will be "in hand". That's the same way the Flyouts work.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
bo

Post by bo »

I would apprecaite it if you did not confuse the poster asking the question, I do not mind you helping but get your facts straight first, the NRD allows you to do selections it is not just a review please understand whats going on before you make a statement like that, if you do not want to use the NRD then fine that is up to you. Also Manstein read Steves post above.

Bo
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Got a question about limited moves when using combined action. Moving a stack of ships and droping ships off count as 1 move/action, will it be the same for ground unit and air unit stack move? Reading vol 1 now so I guess I found the answer soon but if its true this could be a reason why a player want to move a stack aswell.
SwedeWolf

I was called Lill Sputnik (Little sputnik) as a baby in 58-59
Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

I know about the " 'lock' it by doing a right click" thing (feature?), it has been mentioned a couple of times. Would be nice to have it analog to the <ctrl+H> dialog, which can be locked using <space>.

I just checked and you can indeed use the NRD to select units. The selection is hard to see initially, so you might want to use the status view. Then do not close the the NRD, but move the mouse out of the NRD window. You will then have the selected units in hand.

I stand by my point that you will want to select ships by range and movement most of the time, and that can be done using the <ctrl>+click selection dialog with the filters. What are your needs when selecting naval units that you like the NRD better, Bo?
"If we come to a minefield, our infantry attacks exactly as it were not there." ~ Georgy Zhukov
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: Swedewolf

Got a question about limited moves when using combined action. Moving a stack of ships and droping ships off count as 1 move/action, will it be the same for ground unit and air unit stack move? Reading vol 1 now so I guess I found the answer soon but if its true this could be a reason why a player want to move a stack aswell.
If you drop off naval units in a sea zone and continue moving with others, it counts as an extra naval move.
Paul
bo

Post by bo »

I know about the " 'lock' it by doing a right click" thing (feature?), it has been mentioned a couple of times. Would be nice to have it analog to the <ctrl+H> dialog, which can be locked using <space>.

I just checked and you can indeed use the NRD to select units. The selection is hard to see initially, so you might want to use the status view. Then do not close the the NRD, but move the mouse out of the NRD window. You will then have the selected units in hand.

I stand by my point that you will want to select ships by range and movement most of the time, and that can be done using the <ctrl>+click selection dialog with the filters. What are your needs when selecting naval units that you like the NRD better, Bo?

I have used it since I started beta testing 2 years ago and I am very comfortable with it, it is a matter of preferance for me plain and simple. My comment to you was really about do not confuse the poster. If you had gone to the trouble of sending a picture to the post trying to help a person who does not know how to move a stack I would have backed off and respected your opinion, not everyone knows the game like you do and sometimes a picture is worth the trouble..

I have no problem with your other suggestion but why didnt you show him that with a screen of what you are talking about. Then let him decide what his preference might be. Either way I just want him to be able to move the stacks he was asking about, I really dont care what system he uses.

Bo
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

On page 23 in vol. 1 under euro Axis it say in brackets the following " (all SUBs leaving the same port counts as 1 naval move even if they sail into different sea areas). "
Is that just for subs then?
SwedeWolf

Shannon V. OKeets

On page 23 in vol. 1 under euro Axis it say in brackets the following " (all SUBs leaving the same port counts as 1 naval move even if they sail into different sea areas). "
Is that just for subs then?
Yes.

While neutral, each naval unit (including subs) count as one naval move.
Steve

wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

Naval unit stack or just each unit?
SwedeWolf

Dabrion

Post by Dabrion »

While neutral each unit (each piece, counter) counts as one move. Each task force (units sharing same destination and route) count as one move.

You "unit stack" would be a task force, that would cost one naval move as active MP, and as many naval move as units are in the stack as a neutral MP.
wolf14455

Post by wolf14455 »

So how do I inteprite the txt about the subs cost one 1 movepoint even thou they end up in different sea zones. Wrong print?
Mind you guys Im swedish so I might just dont get your explenation thoroghly. sorry for that.
SwedeWolf

Shannon V. OKeets

So how do I inteprite the txt about the subs cost one 1 movepoint even thou they end up in different sea zones. Wrong print?
Mind you guys Im swedish so I might just dont get your explenation thoroghly. sorry for that.
There are two possible states for a major power:

Neutral: each naval unit counts as a naval move. Subs are treated the same as other naval units.

OR

At war with another major power:
(a) each stack of non-sub naval units starting and stopping together as a stack counts as a naval move;
(b) subs moving from the same port (or sea area section box) counts as a naval move, even if they move to different destinations.
Steve

Return to “WIF School”