Just came to check up on DW

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Merker

Just came to check up on DW

Post by Merker »

Yo people,
I don't know if anyone remembers but I used to be a constant presence on the forums a couple of years ago when the first DW came out.

I stumbled upon a DW shadows let's play on youtube and I must say I'm pleasantly impressed at how the game has evolved! And so many expansions! Sadly the cumulative price to get to Shadows is just too much for me, close to 100 euros!

However, I've heard rumors of a DW2 creeping along, any truth to that? After the mess X Rebirth turned out to be(well they will fix it, but it will take some time) I am looking for another sandbox game. Atm I have a lot of games on the "under development" list such as Planet Explorers, Elite Dangerous(though I don't know what to think of this one), and sadly XR since it's not playable atm.

Regarding Shadows: I like the look of the "pirate" start a LOT! Sounds incredibly similar to an old AAR I wrote some time ago, in which I tried to play as a pirate : tm.asp?m=2737184&mpage=1&key=
Perhaps Codeforce can give me some bonus for the ideas :D
Anyways, I do believe it adds a lot to the gameplay. Though I don't see a lot of input about it on forums. No fans of the new "pirate mode" around?

Cheers
Image[/img]
Lucian

RE: Just came to check up on DW

Post by Lucian »

I played pirates a few times and it can indeed be quite a lot of fun. The only problem is the growing sense of impending doom. You start off as master of the galaxy as only you and your fellow pirates have FTL. Then the other empires start to expand and you begin to get squeezed out.

Eventually, you either join them as another empire - which isn't easy, and not particularly well implemented at this stage - or end up with nowhere to hide as fully fledged empires hunt you down. I know the game is designed for pirates to initially dominate and then become progressively weaker, but it can be quite another matter when you experience that reality first hand.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Pirates got boring fast.Such a shame a lot of time was wasted on it when better base game mechanics could have took its place.
Icemania

Post by Icemania »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Pirates got boring fast.Such a shame a lot of time was wasted on it when better base game mechanics could have took its place.
Completely agree.
MorningDew

Post by MorningDew »

ORIGINAL: Merker

Sadly the cumulative price to get to Shadows is just too much for me, close to 100 euros!

Can't say that with this sale going on:

http://www.slitherinebravo.net/pr/Holid ... gMG_01.pdf
Plant

Post by Plant »

Pirates was untested I think. It is an interesting game style, but it was done wierd and buggy. Even now, I think pirates try to upgrade boarded bases and other wierdness. But the other half of shadows was prewarp, which most people seem to like. Now that was certainly beta tested.

Merker

Post by Merker »

Thanks for all the replies, people!

@AndrewKurtz wow, that really is a bargain! Perhaps I'll get it, since there are no interesting games near release any time soon, XR is under repairs, Planet Explorers comes in February, Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous will come at some point in time and space. Though I just booted up my old DW installation and I had a blast, with the exception of empires piling on top of each other and colonizing in a weird manner, which seems to be largely fixed in DW:S, with influence area and colonization range.

Sad to hear about the pirate feature being a bust... Oh well, guess DW2 will fix them all, right? :P Any idea when DW2 is coming? Is it even in the works?

PS: Is Data still around?

Cheers
Image[/img]
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: Merker

PS: Is Data still around?

Cheers

Put some Romulan Ale in one of your cargo bays without security.

Trust me....he'll be around!!!
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Data

Post by Data »

How dare you....[:'(]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

See Merker.....Told you!

Just the MENTION of some unsecured Ale and....POOF! He warps in! [:D]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...
Data

Post by Data »

It's those damn emoticons with that beer bigger than the head...but I get ahead of myself.

Anyway, good to see the gang is still around and know that I lurk here regularly...and not just some cargobays [:)]
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Cargo bays, diaper pails -- same difference.
Diaper pails (okay, probably the kiddo is probably out of that phase)...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”