How do I get past.............

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

captskillet

How do I get past.............

Post by captskillet »

the overrun rebase phase? Got a good roll and took Lenningrad but I cant seem to find an acceptable port to rebase the Russian ships that were based there...........any thoughts?
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Joseignacio

RE: How do I get past.............

Post by Joseignacio »

If you lost the rest of the baltic ports, letonia, Lithuania, Estonia, ..., you're dead. You cannot rebase and they need to be destroyed.

That is, if as usual, the German has captured Denmark and is in control of the strait. If not, maybe you could rebase to Arkhangelsk for example. If they have enough "seas" to do it. It's the smaller number of the two which indicate movement. In this kind of rebase you have double that number, and you need to keep one move for entering the port.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

the overrun rebase phase? Got a good roll and took Lenningrad but I cant seem to find an acceptable port to rebase the Russian ships that were based there...........any thoughts?
Try Hanko. That is controlled by the USSR at the beginning of Barbarossa.

If you really can't figure out where naval units can go, I left in a debug feature: F11.
That is not a player friendly form, and there is no documentation on it, but it does list all the sea areas and ports available when you have naval units "in hand". If there are only a few viable destinations it makes it easy to see where they are. But if you select a naval unit with 6 movement points and a range of 6 in the Pacific, that form may show over 100 possible destinations!
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Here's an example of the Naval Moving Stack Review form with a light explanation.

If nothing else, it will give you an idea of some of the stuff going on "behind the scenes".

[By the way, very few of the beta testers ever knew that this form existed.[:)]]

Attachments
F11Naval..ackform.jpg
F11Naval..ackform.jpg (999.44 KiB) Viewed 427 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Hanko.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

So now you can try to capture those ships since they are disorganised. Get those Finns moving ASAP. Good play...
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I just had a damaged French sub trapped in the Baltic, with no place to go, and it took me a while to figure out what to do with it during the return to base digression. First, I selected the unit. That was simple. Then I tried moving the unit around, and nothing happened. After a while, I tried returning the sub to a French port, and I got a message on the main screen stating something like "hit backspace to destroy unit". So I selected the unit and hit backspace, the unit was destroyed, and the game continued from there.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Return to “WIF School”