The Latest Star Trek Movies - an unsolicited Review * Spoiler Alert *

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Wiking SS

The Latest Star Trek Movies - an unsolicited Review * Spoiler Alert *

Post by Wiking SS »

Review of the latest Star Trek movies.

*** Spoiler Alert ***

It's true that Captain Kirk could bend the rules from time to time, but he was never a loose cannon. Starfleet officers argue and bicker amongst themselves like children in the backseat of a car. Profanity is gratuitously thrown in and detracts from what should be a professional organization. The new Khan has no gravitas (unlike Mr. Ricardo Montalbán, who oozed it) but looks like a reject from a boy band. Modern cinematic techniques seem to demand the wholesale destruction of the Enterprise, while ignoring Physics and aerodynamics, in pursuit of flashy effects.

I give it 1 Pinkie up.
Chickenboy

RE: The Latest Star Trek Movies - an unsolicited Review * Spoiler Alert *

Post by Chickenboy »

I couldn't disagree with you more, Wiking SS. 

I remember thinking that Montalban, although he's a better actor, attracted a goofy looking band of unlikely space thugs.  They detracted from the Khan experience in ST II.  Ricard-put on a shirt, will 'ya? [8|]

Kirk never a loose cannon?  No bickering amongst officers?  Ha!  That happened all the time in the old series.  How many times did he intentionally break the prime directive?  Cheating on a Star Fleet examination and publicly fessing up to it?  Should have been grounds for termination and dismissal, not a Captain's chair.

Yeah, the Enterprise got beaten up pretty good-but didn't it routinely get mauled in the ST movies with the old cast?  In any case, it's an alternative timeline (no Vulcan anymore), so I'm OK with it.

The "new" cast is excellent.  I've really enjoyed the last two ST movies and, IMO, they've breathed some new life into this otherwise tired franchise.  "Into the Darkness" was one of the most fun, exhilerating and enjoying movie experiences of 2013 for me.
Wiking SS

Post by Wiking SS »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
Kirk never a loose cannon? No bickering amongst officers? Ha! That happened all the time in the old series. How many times did he intentionally break the prime directive? Cheating on a Star Fleet examination and publicly fessing up to it? Should have been grounds for termination and dismissal, not a Captain's chair.

Of course Spock and McCoy had their back-and-forth banter, which was great, but I was referring (mostly, and badly) to superior officers and subordinates.

As to the examination, it wasn't A HISTORY OF STARFLEET 2350-2375 or VOCABULARY FOR EFFECTIVE LEADERSHIP IN CRISIS SITUATIONS exams, but the Kobyashi Maru test, which is quite different.

Something I left out: Cadets are in the Academy for about 15 minutes, and then given command of major starships. Yeah, in MY dreams!

Thanks for replying!
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was a good action movie but a crap Star Trek one.

Think the main problem for me is Scotty, the 2009 movie was bad enough but the 2013 movie was even worse. Scotty was a serious character not the wise cracking idiot that is portrayed in the current 'reboot'.
Where did the hats come from?? Starfleet looks like a reject Russian troop demo in the 2013 version.
Spock's ears look like they were bought at a convention and as for the haircut / syrup ... [8|]
Story line in the 2013 version was as predictable as a teletubby episode, good try with the role swap at the end and Kirk's death but it was a no brainer with the Tribble earlier on.

All in all a pale shadow in story and character depth to the masterpiece that is Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan (the unedited version, the one with all the bits in, like Scotty swearing in the Turbolift carrying the injured lad)

RIP Star Trek, you will be sorely missed (except for all the reruns I watch on the box and my DVD collection)

Darkspire
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Darkspire
RIP Star Trek, you will be sorely missed (except for all the reruns I watch on the box and my DVD collection)

Meh. The original series had interesting and novel plotlines, but the hackneyed and shoestring special effects budget scotched the whole deal for me when I was interested and came of age in the 1970s. I never could get into it because of the low-budget effects used. Seriously-they were terrible.

The movies, with their decent budgets, were much better. Even with the old cast. By the time ST V, VI and VII rolled around though, these guys had no reason to be trotting about on a Galaxy-class cruiser in the cosmos. Scotty and Shatner were bloated caricatures by then and Uhura, Sulu and McCoy were afterthoughts. Nemoy's fingers in some of the movie pie made for some of the worst.films.ever. Star Trek III and V were terrible. I think I walked out of the theatre for the latter. I've only done that with a small handful of movies.

ST:TNG came at a perfect time-decent special effects, new characters and some excellent episodes. First Contact ranks right up there with STII: Wrath of Khan, IMO. Nemesis was drivel and showed that the ST:TNG franchise had jumped the shark finally. In spite of its fizzling series end, ST:TNG is where my Trekkie heart really lies.

I never got into Enterprise, DSN or Voyager for comparatives.
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

Whilst it will inevitably forever be compared against Wrath of Khan, and so against the highest point of the Star Trek franchise with the original cast, taken on its own merits the film was good. Not outstanding, good.

We missed it in the cinema due to a lack of suitable babysitting, so we got the Blu ray for home viewing.

My one criticism was that they seemed to labour over getting the Kirk/Spock roles switched a little too much towards the end. Spock's Khaaaaan was a pale shadow of Kirk's, and Kirk going into the reactor core seemed purely to be there so he could make the same sacrifice Spock did in the original timeline.
Darkspire

Post by Darkspire »

Meh. The original series had interesting and novel plotlines, but the hackneyed and shoestring special effects budget scotched the whole deal for me when I was interested and came of age in the 1970s. I never could get into it because of the low-budget effects used. Seriously-they were terrible.

That's what put them on the classic status, well that and Shatner's over / terrible acting. Try watching Galaxy Quest and you will see what I mean.
The movies, with their decent budgets, were much better. Even with the old cast. By the time ST V, VI and VII rolled around though, these guys had no reason to be trotting about on a Galaxy-class cruiser in the cosmos. Scotty and Shatner were bloated caricatures by then and Uhura, Sulu and McCoy were afterthoughts. Nemoy's fingers in some of the movie pie made for some of the worst.films.ever. Star Trek III and V were terrible. I think I walked out of the theatre for the latter. I've only done that with a small handful of movies.

For me it is II, III and IV that are the best. V and VI were utter c**p, 'row, row, your boat' and Uhura's dance routine were the worst ideas ever.
ST:TNG came at a perfect time-decent special effects, new characters and some excellent episodes. First Contact ranks right up there with STII: Wrath of Khan, IMO. Nemesis was drivel and showed that the ST:TNG franchise had jumped the shark finally. In spite of its fizzling series end, ST:TNG is where my Trekkie heart really lies.

Totally agree. TNG really brought the series up to date, Scotty turning up in a transporter in S6.4 was an absolute gem. Like you I did not rate Nemesis but first contact was ok except for the fact Picard was so very much playing out of character, his anger and reactions etc really went against everything that TNG had built up over the 7+ years.
I never got into Enterprise, DSN or Voyager for comparatives.

Enterprise I never used to like but am starting to warm to it as its on CBS now and I have watched a few episodes, think the Klingons were very off putting with the fact they were STNG ones in a pre STOS setting, and the fact it seemed to have better tech than the STOS.
DS9, c**p, except the few battle episodes. Voyager I really liked as much as TNG, ok the timeline got a little murky regards the Borg and when Starfleet was supposed to know about them but other than that a pretty good series.

Darkspire LLAP
Wiking SS

Post by Wiking SS »

TNG took a while to come up to speed. The first season was horrible. I think the best TNG episodes were the Klingon civil war episodes.

Speaking of Klingons, the Klingon facemasks from Into Darkness look like a direct ripoff from LoTR.
t001001001

Post by t001001001 »

voyager - Jeri Ryan
enterprise - Jolene Blalock.

SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

voyager - Jeri Ryan
SHE BELONGS TO ME!! [:'(]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Have to agree, liked the original Star Trek movies and series better. Sorry, but flashy effects and gratuitous profanity do not make a movie good...its the plot and acting that make a movie good. The golden age of Hollywood has devolved into a large steaming pile of manure. [:(] I'd much rather watch the old black and white movies than the garbage Hollywood puts out these days.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

The old Trek=semi nonsense. New Trek=abject nonsense. Apparently, even clear aluminum (TM) has not been invented in the new timeline as building window glass shatters like it did in the 1900s. Or face masks on space suits. No haylon automatic fire extinguishers in buildings but fire hoses ala Die Hard I.

In the new Trek who needs star ships anymore? Now you can safely transport all the way across the galaxy.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

Return to “General Discussion”