Conquistador !

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

sPzAbt653

Conquistador !

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Inspired by the SPI/Avalon Hill game from the 70's, this is a nice little scenario that takes about 8 hours to get thru. Its a one player thing, with the player controlling Spain from 1495 to 1600, spread out across 21 turns. The player battles England, France, Portugal and Natives for control of the New World. The opening turns play quickly as there are few units, but as the forces grow the turns take longer. There are some rules that can't be enforced by the TOAW Engine, so in some cases it plays like a boardgame. See the Briefing and Notes Document for more details. The scenario .zip can be found at :

LINK REMOVED, SITE CLOSED. SCENARIO DOES NOT WORK WITH TOAW IV !!

Attachments
ConqBigMap.jpg
ConqBigMap.jpg (196.81 KiB) Viewed 397 times
Oberst_Klink

RE: Conquistador !

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Shows again how versatile the TOAW system is and how dedicated the scenario developers (well done, Steve!) are. Should show the head-honchos at MG it's worth updating this baby.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

Great game. Very versatile. I'm really enjoying it.

I'd love to see it get a graphical update and maybe a few gameplay tweaks and updates and so forth.

I don't know how many people would purchase such an update/re-release but I would certainly do it.

Kudos to the developers.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: KGrob

I'd love to see it get a graphical update and maybe a few gameplay tweaks and updates and so forth.

I don't know how many people would purchase such an update/re-release but I would certainly do it.

Kudos to the developers.
Graphic mods are all over the place and the switch to the new graphics, released with 3.4, can be done with a few clicks. Kamerad sPzAbt653 is just a nostalgic Amerikaner who loves the 3.2 graphics. ;)

Klink, Oberst

P.S. See Telumar's mod below.

Attachments
Kharkov432.5.jpg
Kharkov432.5.jpg (159.67 KiB) Viewed 398 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Kudos to the developers.

I tried to make it versatile, so I'm glad that part is successful. As for the graphics, I talked a little about it in the 'ConqNotes' document, basically my first go at modding graphics so a very rookie effort. Thanks to Rodia for providing the inspiration I got from viewing his Peloponnesian War graphics set. My effort is nowhere as good as that. Tweaks and updates are ok, if you let me know what you are thinking I may implement them.

And, we're not selling anything here. The only thing Richard Berg ever got out of me was the few sheckles that AH/SPI gave him for all his hard work. But when I look at so many of the old boardgames I can't help but try and squeeze some of them into TOAW so that I can play them without setting up the original on the desk, which is quick to incur the wrath of Mrs. sPzAbt, and the curiosity of sPzKitty.

I was real happy with the way the Carrack and Galleon icons turned out. Of course, the equipment icons on the left are wrong, but I can't fit a big ship like that into that little space. [:(]

Attachments
NavalIcons.jpg
NavalIcons.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 398 times
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Shows again how versatile the TOAW system is and how dedicated the scenario developers (well done, Steve!) are. Should show the head-honchos at MG it's worth updating this baby.

Klink, Oberst

Thanks Klink ! Yes, TOAW is versatile. It's quite fun hammering boardgame rules into the console (yes, I still use two desktops, no laptops or handheld devices here).

And I think I misunderstood KGrob. I thought he meant updates and tweaks to this scenario, but I think he was referring to TOAW.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Let me add a "well done Steve", too. I fondly remember this S&T title and actually had aspirations of one day doing a TOAW conversion of it myself. So, I'm a bit jealous right now. [&o]
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Klink, Oberst

Thanks Klink ! Yes, TOAW is versatile. It's quite fun hammering boardgame rules into the console (yes, I still use two desktops, no laptops or handheld devices here).

And I think I misunderstood KGrob. I thought he meant updates and tweaks to this scenario, but I think he was referring to TOAW.
You OWE me a quick beta test PBEM of Kharkov '43. If not, I'll be in MD and visit you over x-mas! :P

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

That graphic update that "Oberst Klink" was referring to was an update for all the scenarios in TAOW wasn't it? I didn't read it as an update for just that one scenario.

Anyway, I'm going to try to download that and extract it to the alt graphics folder and see how that looks.

Thanks.
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

By the way, you guys have all been very helpful to me. I'm fairly new at this game and I need to learn an awful lot yet.
Rodia

Post by Rodia »

Hey sPzAbt653, thanks for the kind words here and in the readme. [:)]

My only gripe is you have included a lot of things from my scenario not needed in yours. Like all the units in .png and some ancient greek interface stuff (!).

May look a bit funky in any other setup than yours. [:D]
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Anyway, I'm going to try to download that and extract it to the alt graphics folder and see how that looks.

It won't look right, I'm sure.
... you have included a lot of things from my scenario not needed in yours. Like all the units in .png and some ancient greek interface stuff (!).

I wasn't confident enough to know what I needed and what I didn't, so I didn't mess with the content. Feel free to delete what isn't needed and return the set to me, if you like. I used your 'embarked' icon because I couldn't see what might have been more appropriate to this scenario.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Let me add a "well done Steve", too. I fondly remember this S&T title and actually had aspirations of one day doing a TOAW conversion of it myself. So, I'm a bit jealous right now. [&o]

Thanks Bob. Sorry about doing one you had plans for. There is still the expansion option, 1495-1700, with a larger map and a more historically accurate timeline. [:D]
Telumar

Post by Telumar »

That graphic update that "Oberst Klink" was referring to was an update for all the scenarios in TAOW wasn't it? I didn't read it as an update for just that one scenario.

Thanks.

??? Which one scenario? Which graphic update? I think there is quite some misunderstanding..

There has been a graphic update in TOAW version 3.4. This is the only official graphic update. All other things are user made mods.

There are three official graphic sets for TOAW 3.

- Classic graphics as in earlier version of TOAW (I, II, WotY, ACOW); you can see these in sPzAbt's screen in post #1 of this thread
- TOAW 3 'standard' graphics
- TOAW 3.4 PNG graphics

PNG graphics are activated/de-actived in the options menu (from the TOAW start screen). If turned off the game will use TOAW 3 'standard' graphics. If you want to use the classic graphics, run 'Install classic graphics' from TOAW 3's programm folder. Revert to vanilla by running 'Revert to TOAW 3 graphics'. Note that you need to turn off PNG support for both, the classic and the TOAW 3 standard graphics.

Klink's screenshot is from an upcoming graphic mod for TOAW 3.4. Work is still in progress.
rgflores

Post by rgflores »

This scenery looks great! However I did not found how to install in the text file.
Any help? Thank you.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

If you click on the Graphics Folder in the TOAW menu, you will notice that many scenarios use their own graphics files. If you want to use different graphics, paste the files you want into the scenario graphics folder. If a scenario folder isn't in the graphics folder, create one.

If you are interested in using Classic Graphics, you need to install them from the Program Start Menu, then disable .png graphics in the Player Options Menu.

Hope that helps ?
KGrob

Post by KGrob »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

If you click on the Graphics Folder in the TOAW menu, you will notice that many scenarios use their own graphics files. If you want to use different graphics, paste the files you want into the scenario graphics folder. If a scenario folder isn't in the graphics folder, create one.

If you are interested in using Classic Graphics, you need to install them from the Program Start Menu, then disable .png graphics in the Player Options Menu.

Hope that helps ?

Thanks. I didn't know that. That helped me a lot.
rgflores

Post by rgflores »

Ok, here is what I did (apparently worked)

Created another folder in toaw/scenarios called "Ancient";

Then, inside "Ancient" put the folder "conquistador"
and also conquistador.sce.

Looks like the game is working ok. It changed even the sound when ships are moving, something that I never heard before.

Vielen danke mein freund.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

It changed even the sound when ships are moving ...

Yes indeed. Mr. Rodia put together an excellent sound package that I 'pirated' for Conquistador.

If you have the graphics proper (and it seems you do) then it should look something like this :

Attachments
jpeg25.jpg
jpeg25.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 397 times
rgflores

Post by rgflores »

Hallo,

My screen looks like this one, however, I see only the unities, not the symbol inside the square, the ship, for example. Seems like I am missing something.

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”