Prejudice of ships needing big sublight speed

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

paShadoWn

Prejudice of ships needing big sublight speed

Post by paShadoWn »

They dont. As my observations show, if your ship is equipped with tractor, it can only be kited by missile ships and such. Then it gets low shield, warps out and then warps in and tractors stuff. If its missiles itself it cannot be kited. So for melee ships you need not more thrusters but a short charge warpdrive and fast recharge shields. After extensive testing i dont put more than 6 thrusters on my close range ships.
Do not hesitate to flee.
Icemania

RE: Prejudice of ships needing big sublight speed

Post by Icemania »

Maybe in DW2 the AI could be improved to counter various human strategies.

For example, one counter to what you propose would be Hyperdeny and extra speed, to outmaneuver you strategically i.e. stay at whatever range optimised my weapons and was weakest for yours, allowing my ships with the lowest shields to warp out while keeping you contained, staying out of tractor range etc.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: paShadoWn
i dont put more than 6 thrusters on my armed ships.
Speed from thrusters depends on the size of the ship. What "minimum speed" do you aim for?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Plant

Post by Plant »

"Big" sublight speed is subjective.

6 thrusters should be relative to the size of ship you haven't mentioned.

CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

All my Capital's, Carriers, Ports and Def Bases always have Hyper Deny of some sort. Combined with Long range weapons, Missiles, Energy Torps, etc. and nothing much gets away. Well unless there are too many targets to shoot and they scatter.

As mentioned above, 6 Thrusters is purely relative. 6 Ion, 6 Acceleros, are not even remotely the same thing. As well 6 on a 200 size ship or a 2500 sized one?
paShadoWn

Post by paShadoWn »

I aim for a speed around 10 for close range ships. Less and it takes them too long to refuel etc.
Do not hesitate to flee.
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

I am playing a Sluken with max tech learned for engines. I aim for 72-75, the speed of a silvermist.

Lonnie Courtney Clay
Live long and prosper!

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Return to “The War Room”